PDA

View Full Version : aircrash investigation

LCA Bound
7th Mar 2010, 11:46
A good idea or sometimes is ignorance bliss??

Cant make my mind up on this one just thought id see what other people think

PAXboy
7th Mar 2010, 13:35
I have to say that this sounds like a troll.

If we did not have aircrash investigation, we would not know why the Comet crashed and learnt about metal fatigue. Or why a Trident crashed on take-off from LHR - the pilot had a heart attack. He had already been feeling unwell but carried on and would not accept assistance. If I recall correctly, this led to the flight data recorder and subesequently to flight deck voice recorders. In turn, they told us why many other a/c crashed.

These chnages have led to a new way for flight cew to be trained and has led to the remarkable safety record that we now have - where it is still safer to fly than to drive to the airport.

LCA Bound
7th Mar 2010, 13:53
sorry I wasnt very clear, not a troll just curious, I meant the program not the actual investigation, It is a program I watch with interest not being morbid, I was wondering if I am the only one who watches this alot and always regrets it on the taxi way to the runway

Two-Tone-Blue
7th Mar 2010, 15:04
I guessed it was the TV programme you referred to, albeit in an unclear manner.

If you really worried about that sort of thing, you wouldn't get in a car either.

Being born is invariably fatal. ;)

ulxima
7th Mar 2010, 17:17
I am the only one who watches this alot

I watch it too, with a lot of interest and curiosity :ok:

always regrets it on the taxi way to the runway

no, not really. At that time I am watching and listening to LowCostDolly while delivering the safety briefing. :E

Ciao
Ulxima

barit1
7th Mar 2010, 18:26
Accident and failure investigation is an essential part of the engineering profession. It is crucial to learn WHY a failure occurs, so that it can be prevented in the future.

Here's an example: Tacoma Narrows Bridge (http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/tnbhistory/Machine/machine3.htm)

neroliie
7th Mar 2010, 19:03
I really enjoy Air Crash Investigation, even though there don't seem to be many new episodes.

A few years ago it made me slightly nervous about flying to visit family, but I try to remember that air travel is one of safest ways of getting about.

Anyway, it's fascinating to me. I learn so much from it :) And because I'm a nerd, the dvds are on my birthday wishlist :E

deltayankee
7th Mar 2010, 19:06
I understand that some nervous flyers dislike any talk of mishaps, but for me the fact that every incident is investigated so thoroughly gives me more confidence. I would be more alarmed if they just bought a new airplane and moved on.

But if it does unsettle you then watch something else.

OFSO
7th Mar 2010, 19:53
Yeah, I watch this program now and then, also analyses of vehicular accidents and so on, because I hope to learn something.

Have I ? One of the most interesting things I have learned is how many accidents/incidents happen when a person carrying out a series of events leading to a target is interrupted half-way thru and returns to his work at the wrong point......frequently missing some vital operation. (Are the flaps still set for take off ?)

How do I apply this ? When preparing a document (maybe one I'm going to present at a meeting or conference) I make sure I'm working alone and my wife knows I musn't be interrupted until I get up from the PC with it saved and filed. Sounds like a minor point, it isn't.

So yes, I think these programs have a very positive aspect. And does it worry me when I fly ? No because what might kill me is always "something fresh and new", not "something which I've seen happen in a documentary".

neroliie
7th Mar 2010, 22:02
I understand that some nervous flyers dislike any talk of mishaps, but for me the fact that every incident is investigated so thoroughly gives me more confidence. I would be more alarmed if they just bought a new airplane and moved on.

But if it does unsettle you then watch something else.

I've never really been a nervous flyer. My first long haul was when I was about 5 and it never bothered me for many years. It wasn't till I was due to fly from CYYZ to EGLL and watched some Doomsday film a couple of days before that the jitters appeared for the first time :\ Then a few years later watching ACI brought the jitters back, but not flying wasn't an option (as I was doing lots of air travel at the time), and not watching ACI wasn't an option as it was much too interesting! :8

In the end air travel for me is still exciting and novel enough for that to overrule any kind of 'fear.' And really, any apprehension I might have is nowadays turned into a kind of awe and admiration at the whole aviation thing. It's so cool! :ok:

G SXTY
8th Mar 2010, 06:23
Air Crash Investigation is watchable, even if they do generally squeeze 30 minutes’ worth of material into an hour. It’s easy to pick holes in the show as a professional pilot, but it does get at least convey the basics of an event and subsequent investigation.

It would benefit from more technical research and input from professionals in the industry, as opposed to all the ‘human interest’ padding about what the passenger in 7C had for breakfast that morning (although I’m sure it helps keep production costs down).

I thought Channel 4’s ‘Black Box’ series was a much better effort.

neroliie
8th Mar 2010, 06:50
I can imagine that there are moments which would make the experts cringe. The bright side is that it's better than Seconds to Disaster, which is in my opinion just too cheesy for words. Hallo melodrama! :mad:

Lukeafb1
8th Mar 2010, 09:04
As a frequent flyer and with a background in aviation, I watch 'Air Crash Investigation' avidly. Apart from some of the very obvious mistakes made by the producers, my main question is: Where does Greg Feith get his neck ties (I wish I knew)?

Capetonian
8th Mar 2010, 09:23
As a frequent flyer and with a background in aviation, I watch 'Air Crash Investigation' avidly.

Me too, and after each programme and after each incident I feel a little safer. There is the paradox between knowing how much can go wrong, and on the other hand knowing how procedures are improved in the hope of preventing a recurrence. Ultimately though we all know that accidents are invariably a result of human errors, and I am using the plural purposely.

neroliie
8th Mar 2010, 16:26
Ok, because I don't know anything...would someone provide some examples of where AIC has been wrong and/or toe-cringingly inaccurate or vague about something?

tezzer
8th Mar 2010, 18:00
Went to check in for a flight back from Jakarta recently, and on a big screen in the check in area they were showing "Alive" the film about the crash in the Andes.

Got through check-in and into the lounge and there on the TV was Air Crash Investigation showing, good pre-flight TV if ever there was !

G SXTY
9th Mar 2010, 15:24
would someone provide some examples of where AIC has been wrong and/or toe-cringingly inaccurate or vague about something?

The type I fly has yet to feature (I’ll await with interest) and I’ve normally had a few glasses of red by the time I watch it, but as a couple of general observations:

The flightdeck mock-ups (to call them simulators is pushing it a bit far) are clearly generic, and often wholly inaccurate. For example, the use of EFIS (glass) screens to represent a clockwork aircraft. This might seem pedantic until they start making a point about one or other gauge or dial, when the presentation shown on screen is wholly different to what the actual pilots would have experienced.

The actors, while no doubt reading from the script, do not act or sound anything like real professional pilots (they’re better looking for a start.) ;) I’d be more convinced if they used ‘Otto’ from Airplane!.

Like I said, it does the job of getting a story across to a lay audience, and it’s easy to criticise, but if they invested in a real simulator and a couple of ‘resting’ commercial pilots rather than actors, the realism level would increase considerably.

TrafficPilot
9th Mar 2010, 17:20
I thought Channel 4’s ‘Black Box’ series was a much better effort.I'll second that:ok: Still have it on VHS somewhere!

Most of the american shows are edited to include ad breaks every 5 minutes or so which is why they're so annoyingly repetitive. Or maybe Americans just have a short attention span.

I find air crash programmes fascinating. When I was learning to fly my instructor told me that "we never stop learning to fly - even after we've passed the test.." Hence why I enjoy watching these programmes so I can try and learn something from the incidents shown.