PDA

View Full Version : what are line pilots???

Tambo1
5th Mar 2010, 23:52
Excuse my ignorance...but i've noticed on sites such as AFAP that companies are looking for "line pilots", is this just a phrase or is it something more specific?

The Green Goblin
6th Mar 2010, 00:04
Because there are so many Pilots out of work, they want the guys who have been lining up for work the longest. It's kind of like an unemployed Pilot seniority system.

We all stand in the line with our hands out chanting 'please sir, I want some more'

;)

Peter Fanelli
6th Mar 2010, 00:52
Pilots who are skilled at keeping formation in a broom line in the hangar.

Metro man
6th Mar 2010, 00:53
We're the frontline troops who turn up and do the work for a modest wage. ie bog standard pilots with no other role such as Chief Pilot, Sim Instructor, Examiner, Check and Training etc.

Horatio Leafblower
6th Mar 2010, 01:05
Not sure of the origin of the term, but a "Line Pilot" is basically a general-duties pilot - as opposed to a Chief Pilot, Check & training pilot, Chief Flying Instructor, Instructor, or #1 show-off Aero Club President GA Legend pilot :rolleyes:

Gobblin... very funny :D

KRUSTY 34
6th Mar 2010, 01:52
Beat me to it HL.

Crackup Goblin! :}

The Bunglerat
6th Mar 2010, 03:22
What Horatio said.

Line Pilot = Everyday, garden-variety driver (Capt or F/O);
Training Captain = As the title suggests, a captain authorised to conduct line training for either F/O or a person undergoing command upgrade;
Check Captain = Captain authorised to conduct final check & certification for said pilot undergoing line check, command check, etc.

Icarus53
6th Mar 2010, 03:41
I always believed it stemmed from the concept of a "flight line", originally being military speak for where the aircraft were parked.

You were therefore a pilot "of the line" as opposed to one of the aforementioned shiny-bum cake-eaters.

Happy to recline corrected!

Masif Eego
6th Mar 2010, 04:12
Tambo1

These guys are just having you on, don't believe any of it..........

Line Pilots are guys that fly straight lines between A and B and maybe C, boring as bat $h!t......keep away from it..........:ok:

Bullethead
6th Mar 2010, 04:22
How about you get checked to 'line' (airline) and are then a 'line' pilot.

Regards,
BH.

archangel7
6th Mar 2010, 04:48
on that note.... I have an ignorant question too,

What's Wet-season time? I can't find a " wet-season" column in my logbook!

Masif Eego
6th Mar 2010, 05:19
What's Wet-season time? I can't find a " wet-season" column in my logbook!

Ah that's an easy one..........

Strictly applies to fresh CPL holders straight after gaining their new license.
Not found in logbooks but found in undies. Soon becomes a 'memory' once a MECIR is obtained...........:ok:

The Green Goblin
6th Mar 2010, 05:32
A line Pilot could also be referring to Pilots in Kununurra lining up outside Centrelink

Wet season experience is simple, the backpackers arrive in droves from April until September......use your imagination, a time of plenty for all :}

frigatebird
6th Mar 2010, 05:45
Line Pilots in Vanuatu

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy129/bird__photo/Vanuatu/scan0002.jpg

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy129/bird__photo/Vanuatu/scan0004-1.jpg

Lineboy4life
6th Mar 2010, 06:07
correctamundo Icarus....line pilots are the fortunate soles whome show up and fly leaving the training/management/big D's & associated stress for the others...:}

Horatio Leafblower
6th Mar 2010, 08:08
Sorry - I stand (or indeed, recline) corrected :ugh:

Having been CP of a survey company I should have known that "line pilots" are the ones who can follow the trackair properly and turn right when the next line is on the left, or vice versa :ok:

A GOOD line pilot is the one who can do it all day without making the operator (or chief pilot or managing director) :yuk: in the back seat!

Mach E Avelli
6th Mar 2010, 13:09
American mate of mine refers to them as 'line donkeys'. Now, does he mean donkey as in stupid or as in beast of burden?
His other take on line donkeys is that the biggest decision they ever make on a flight is the steak or the chicken.
Don't shoot the messenger....

slamer.
6th Mar 2010, 18:28
Line pilots or "Flying the line" refers back to the old US postal service flights across the USA in the 1920's before IFR Ops. They flew a series or "line" of lit beacons at night or in poor Wx to guide them VFR cross country predominantly east to west . Jeppesen also has his beginings in this period

"Flying the line" is also the title of a very good book on the origins of ALPA whos beginings were founded in that era of .... flying the line.

In my opinion essential reading which will leave you with the knowledge that "nothing is new under the sun" in aviation, especially in industrial matters.

mustafagander
7th Mar 2010, 05:19
As I recall it, Antoine de St Exupery (pardon my spelling) mentioned "flying the line" in at least one of his books during the 1930s. It may well have been part of the title of one. Sorry but I can't check ATM, I'm out flying the line for a week.

Track Direct
7th Mar 2010, 05:27
G'day Slamer

Do you know where one would find a copy of the book ?
Sounds like an interesting read.

girl with a stick
7th Mar 2010, 05:44
g'day guys,

re Antoine de Saint-Exupéry - I'm pretty sure it was Night Flight - it's part of a trilogy - Wind Sand and Stars and Flight to Arras, documenting his time as a pilot for Aeropostal. They're still in print, published by Penguin. A cracking read....(as is The Little Prince)

gwas

slamer.
7th Mar 2010, 07:06
Hi Track direct.... the copy I read was borrowed from NZ ALPA back in the 80's (and returned) I'd say your association would have a copy in their library. From memory it was a limited edition print and can be difficult to find in your local second hand book store.

Otherwise try Amazon or other online sellers.

Amazon.com: Flying the line: The first half century of the Air Line Pilots Association (9780960970803): George E Hopkins: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Flying-line-century-Pilots-Association/dp/0960970800)

Track Direct
7th Mar 2010, 08:44
Thanks Slamer, will try on-line as you suggest.

Aerodynamisist
7th Mar 2010, 09:57
Want to know what a line pilot is ? read a book called "Fate Is The Hunter" by Ernest K Gann then read "Blue Collar Pilots" by Garth Wallace.

M14_P
7th Mar 2010, 22:06
Peter and GG, I was laughing out loud at those comments, nice one!

mustafagander
9th Mar 2010, 09:58
girl etc,

Thanks. You're right. He was a hell of a good writer, n'est-ce pas? There are at least a couple of very good translations around to save the effort of translating the books yourself.

Aerohooligan
9th Mar 2010, 22:11
'Line Pilots are guys that fly straight lines between A and B and maybe C, boring as bat $h!t......keep away from it..........http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif'
I remember a line from that doco 'Real Top Guns' when the LIFT guys were finishing Hawk Course and the CO was giving their graduation speech:

'When these guys came to us they were bright, confident fast jet dudes. They could take the jet off, they could land it, they could transit it between points. Now that in itself is an honourable thing - hell, some people even make a living out of it!'

Snap! :\

flyhardmo
10th Mar 2010, 00:15
what are line pilots???

The ones that get shafted by management pilots to inflate their ego.

Aye Ess
10th Mar 2010, 01:56
Line pilots....sometimes spelled ''Lyin' pilots'' as in...

"why yes,I've got 12000 hours,been flying 5 years''

''Qantas keep ringing me up wanting me to come & sort out their problems''

''I'm highly regarded in the aviation profession''

''Everyone was amazed at how I handled a turbulent ILS with one engine out''

''ATP subjects...passed 1st go,bit of a non event really''