PDA

View Full Version : A plea for sensible taxiing speed at Essendon

Tee Emm
5th Mar 2010, 23:23
OK, this is trivial - but not when it costs money from other people's pocket.
Thus:
Memo to Head Honcho, instructors and students of Oxford Air Training at Moorabbin. Cc Essendon ATC.

Scene: Wed 3 March, a Warrior of above flying training organisation lands Essendon 26 and is cleared to taxi via parallel taxiway all the way to holding bay for departure Runway 17. No doubt humming a little tune like Winnie The Pooh, the pilot(s) dawdle all the way at barely walking speed quite oblivious to others forced to crawl him behind at four bucks a miniute not including GST. ATC would have been blind to not have seen this and I would have thought could have asked the Oxford Air Training pilot to move it along a bit. But ATC said nothing probably thinking it wasn't their problem. If it was a Global Express up the chuff of the Warrior, I am sure ATC would have told the Warrior to move aside or go faster.

Essendon is a favourite visiting place for Moorabbin based flying schools and it behoves the management and pilots of that august establishment to ensure their instructors and solo students taxi sensibly at Essendon, not crawl along like a one wing fly with half it's legs missing. No wonder these aircraft are banned from Tullamarine.

By the time the students of that flying school have reached the stage of navigation training, they should know the etiquette of taxiing at a sensible speed. Too fast is potentially dangerous, and taxiing too slow is just plain bad manners and expensive to those forced to be behind them on a taxiway. In other words by the time these chappies get to do navs into Essendon they should know how to taxi a Warrior I hope.

Your future cooperation in this regard at Essendon would be greatly appreciated.:ugh:

The Green Goblin
5th Mar 2010, 23:30
Taxi speed should be at walking pace :ok:

Some people can walk a lot faster than others

Horatio Leafblower
5th Mar 2010, 23:48
Taxi speed should be at walking pace

Horse**** - unless you're flying an SE5A or a Sopwith Camel we don't require ground crew to hold our wings any more :ugh:

When was the last time you had someone actually walking beside your aircraft as you taxied?

Ultralights
5th Mar 2010, 23:53
a good running speed is more realistic, unless in tight spots of course.

CaptainMidnight
6th Mar 2010, 00:02
In lighties, I was told way back to taxi "at a brisk walking pace" ........

vee1-rotate
6th Mar 2010, 00:15
Quite amusing that you've named Oxford Air Training as the culprit, when said flying organisation doesn't (and I don't think ever has) operated Warriors...

Perhaps MFS is the one you meant...
:cool:

ozblackbox
6th Mar 2010, 00:24
Don't work for Oxford, but before you post, get your facts right first buddy!

Oxford haven't had Warriors for a long time - prob since mid 90's.

Please don't have a go at other people's taxi speed. Walking pace or fast walking pace is fine.

I fly with the RFDS and, even if we are Med 1, I have absolutely no issue following a slower than normal taxiing aircraft... especially if it's a training.

I remember coming to Essendon, many moons ago, on one of my PPL 2nd solo flights into Essendon - I was nervous as hell and was slow taxiing.

Monopole
6th Mar 2010, 00:51
Taxi speed should be at walking pace http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif Yeah, I was also taught the same.
Horse**** - unless you're flying an SE5A or a Sopwith Camel we don't require ground crew to hold our wings any more Should of known though that it was yet another irrelevant throw back from the old veteran Raffies.

(said while still recognising the commitment made to Australia during war time and the skill and experiance brought in into the Australian civil aviation industry post war)

hardNfast
6th Mar 2010, 01:00
Give the poor guy or girl ago. Remember we were all learning once. They are more than likely taxiing slow as they are trying to get their sh!t togther. Better to be organised on the ground then get airborne in controlled airspace and being behind the eight ball. Not everyone starts out as a pro!

jj232
6th Mar 2010, 01:07
During my commercial flight test the very senior ATO asked me why I was taxing so slow? I told him I was taught to taxi at a fast walking pace. He proceeded to explain to me that this was so my wing tip attendants could keep up, however as we didn't have any on this aircraft type there was no need to be taxing so slow. I felt a bit silly after that as it was a good point.

Awol57
6th Mar 2010, 01:24
ATC won't normally get involved in Taxi speed issues with the exception of Medical or other priority flights. We don't tell you how to fly (or in this case taxi) your aircraft. :ok:

ConfigFull
6th Mar 2010, 05:41
Isn't a safe taxi speed one where if the brakes fail you have sufficient 'space' to come to a stop? We've all had the 'fast walking pace' talk - during my CIR test the ATO said he couldn't stand people that taxi slow and to hurry up. Fair enough I thought!

Tee Emm
6th Mar 2010, 07:15
Don't work for Oxford, but before you post, get your facts right first buddy!

Oxford haven't had Warriors for a long time - prob since mid 90's.

Well it was a very pretty little aeroplane and there are lots of pretty little aeroplanes at Moorabbin. Mea Culpa..:{

Sunfish
6th Mar 2010, 09:06
A "safe" taxiing speed at YMEN is one where the nose gear isn't ripped out when you hit a centreline marker.

I sympathise with all concerned because the distances involved seem a lot longer than YMMB and YPCK.

VH-XXX
6th Mar 2010, 09:55
Seriously, at 4 bucks a minute you must be driving a 172 from Moorabbin or something small. Take a thought for those behind you that are driving twin PT 6's behind you!

Get over it, it's all hours in your log book!

eocvictim
6th Mar 2010, 10:14
I know this doesn't always apply but at EN when its 26 for arr 17 for deps just request a runway 17 backtrack. EN tower/ground are always happy to oblige for the bigger stuff.

Mach E Avelli
6th Mar 2010, 12:48
10 knots down the straight and 5 around corners is reasonable these days. The gear won't collapse. For those who can't judge 10 knots, buy a GPS. Walking pace went out when tail skids got replaced with brakes. When brakes fail (about once in your entire lifetime if you are unlucky) the grass is a great stopper.

Wally Mk2
7th Mar 2010, 09:59
Few if any would actually taxi at walking pace. That would make this particular taxi venture take several minutes to complete. So even though it probably felt slow it would have been more like a fast walk/jog. EN Twr are a great bunch of blokes/gals they always get the slow coaches to move along or move aside for us bigger thirstier beasts:-) A normally slowish taxi speed for me is around 10+kts (18+k's) (as per the little God send contraption GPS) & I often find it feels like I'm crawling! So walking speed is borderline stopped!:)
Taxi to suit the conditions but like the road bear in mind that even though planes don't have rear view mirrors there could be someone else behind getting frustrated if yr crawling.

Wmk2

Aerodynamisist
7th Mar 2010, 10:24
Think back to how foreign it was to steer with your feet when you first started. fair enough to taxi slow up to gfpt.

Clearedtoreenter
7th Mar 2010, 20:37
Come to BK and learn to taxi at a moderate cycling pace:ok:

VH-XXX
7th Mar 2010, 20:47
My aircraft coasts along at lightning pace as it's fairly light even at the lowest idle setting and I've been told off for going too fast, but the problem is that to go slower I need to constantly brake especially if I have a tailwind and i'd rather not wear out the brakes to keep one old whinger happy.

chainsaw
7th Mar 2010, 21:13
The 'fast walking pace' taxi theory is outdated, and general guidance is to taxi at a reasonable speed, and to '...consider the safe and expeditious movement of traffic' (CASA Flight Instructor's Manual).

expeditious (adj) - characterised by or done with speed and efficiency; prompt; quick.

VH-XXX - if you're not doing anything dangerous, then the old whinger's really got nothing valid to whinge about.

Normal taxi speed for larger aircraft is about 20 knots.

Howard Hughes
7th Mar 2010, 21:40
If one taxied at a 'fast walking pace' to runway 34R at Mascot, the taxi would be longer than the ensuing flight!:E

Atlas Shrugged
7th Mar 2010, 22:18
Taxi speed should be at walking pace

From Qantas Domestic at holding point 34R....???? Faaaaark!

empacher48
7th Mar 2010, 22:27
I was always told that when taxiing one should observe the vicinity of objects and decide how fast to taxi depending on how likely you are to hit them..

i.e. On a marked taxiway or runway, taxi speeds should be quicker. Around Aprons and parking areas with other aircraft, cargo bins, trolleys, air bridges and structures. The taxi speed should be slower as these objects may leap out and hit you when you least expect it.

I guess this is one of those airmanship things that is slowly being lost..:ugh:

Number34
7th Mar 2010, 22:39
a few knots below rotate seems to work well :}