PDA

View Full Version : Marking the End of RAF Maritime Air Engineers

Kev Nurse
5th Mar 2010, 07:11
There will be a Marime Air Engs Day, at RAF Kinloss, on Friday 9 April, to mark the end of RAF air engineering in the maritime role.

It will be the end of an era spanning 70 years, commencing with young LACs solely monitoring the engines for the old and bold pilots on Catalinas in 1940, to the present day with old Master Engineers, chastising young pilots for flying the Nimrod MR2 too low, while still watching the engines, etc.

Anyone who has ever flown as an eng on the Kipper fleet is welcome to come to Kinloss and meet us (again, in some cases) and chat about the old days over a few drinks. In the morning we will be meet up on CXX Sqn and hopefully have a Nimrod available for a final "walk round". A sim will be available for anyone wishing to have a look. We will then have a Top Table Lunch (jacket and tie/lounge suit, please) in the Sgts Mess followed by an afternoon in the bar. The day will probably end with a visit to the Beastie.

On base accommodation, if required for the nights of Thu 8 and Fri 9th can be arranged.

If you want to come, please contact either myself (01309 617257) or FS "Spud" Henderson on CXX Sqn (01309 617625), who is the proj off. Those of us with a good memory will note that, after all these years, the CXX Eng Office tel number has not changed..7625

Hope to hear from you, soon and looking forward to meeting you again.

Best Regards
Kev Nurse

Indicating Full
5th Mar 2010, 08:50
Kev,

I'm not part of your particular gang but I guess you're continuing the trend started at Cranwell 4 years ago which will result in further p**s ups to commemorate the last Air Engineer AT, AAR & ISTAR sorties.:ok:

IF

fergineer
7th Mar 2010, 03:55
Unfortunately will not be able to make it as its a long trip from here in NZ. Please pass on my regards to all old and new. Was 120 crew 6 79-82 then sim sqn before going to Finningley for 3 years then onto Hercs so there may be a few that remember me.
Best regards
Fergi

richlear
7th Mar 2010, 06:59
Hey Kev,

How you doing??

Do you know of any general send-off party for the MR2? I heard something about a hangar party at the end of March but no details.

Any news would be appreciated

cheers

rich

getsometimein
7th Mar 2010, 07:59
26th March there is various things going on as well as stuff on the 31st.

Best find an old mate and contact them as its on a free ticket system for fire safety purposes.

TheSmiter
7th Mar 2010, 10:49
Kev

Good on you for organising this Kipper Eng (MRA4 speak 'USMS') send-off, hope it goes well and you get a good take-up. There are many fine Eng's in your cadre and quite a few animals, who kept the knockers amused and the management apoplectic! Suffice it to say, we will miss the experience, expertise and total professionalism of this small, but illustrious band of aircrew.

Hate to put a spanner in the works though buddy:

On base accommodation, if required for the nights of Thu 8 and Fri 9th can be arranged

you may wish to check the availability wrt a secret Scottish airbase's bolthole arrangements as promulgated in the Northern Jock this week.

Lancman
7th Mar 2010, 16:57
I started my Maritime career as a Flight Engineer on Lancasters and Shackletons and finished on the Nimrod, with a few years off on Hastings / Britannia / Belfast for good behaviour. I subsequently found civilian flying, 707 / Tristar, boring but far more remunerative. Without a doubt my crew co-operation skills were learned in RAF cockpit environments before Cockpit Resource Management became such a catch phrase, I never thought of myself as a "resource", I was part of some of the best crews in the world. I wish I could be with you again for the final sortie but I live far away in a sunnier land. Good luck to all the departing Eng's, you've had some damn' good training and you'll be valuable assets wherever you go.

Miles Magister
7th Mar 2010, 19:36
Kev,

As one of those who was always grateful to have you sitting behind me, best wishes to you and all your cardre. I still bore young co-piots telling them how much better it is when you have a proper Flt Eng with you!

MM

shack
8th Mar 2010, 13:05
As an ex-Kipper Fleet Shack skipper my I say thank you to all the Engs I had the pleasure to fly with (except one who did not last very long-- whose reaction to my saying to my co pilot Gear Up was to select M gear during a max all up take off using water meth; to say the aircraft shuddered would be an understatement!!!

grizz
8th Mar 2010, 19:51
Fergi, didn't think a few miles would stop you from attending a p*** up.
I'm hoping to get up there, emailed the guys I am still in touch with, hopefully someone has contact details for the likes of Phil Coulson, John Garrett, Andy Mohun, and the rest, not sure I'll be able to cope!

oxenos
8th Mar 2010, 20:05
Only trouble with Kipper Fleet F.E.s was their appetite. When food was coming forward from the Galley, A remark about " does that oil leak on No 3 look as if its getting worse Eng" would get them looking out of their little window just long enough to get the pilots food past them without any of it disappearing. Apart from that, worth their weight in something or other.

Charlie Luncher
8th Mar 2010, 21:48
Guys have a great piss up I have many fond memories flying with some great guys, mentored by some very bad ones in the pubs/messes.:\
I learnt some very important lessons from the gingers:

1. never punch above your weight
2. make sure your fingertips touch when you hug her
3. take a mate if she fails 1&2.
Sitting here today because of an engineers professionalism.
Have fun Shaggers:D
Charlie sends

Adam Nams
9th Mar 2010, 01:37
young LACs solely monitoring the engines for the old and bold pilots on Catalinas in 1940, to the present day with old Master Engineers
there must be someone who fits both surely! ;)

Have a great time - will be thinking of you all. Best of luck for the future.

Adam (ex Kipper)

Neptunus Rex
9th Mar 2010, 03:25
Oxenos, you are so right.
Rumour has it that just to make the pilots feel at home, all the sandwiches will have an Enge-sized bite taken out of them.

http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/gnashers.gif

fergineer
9th Mar 2010, 06:32
Grizz dont know what you mean......me drink no way never. Hope you are well keep off the Guiness when you do get up there, I would love to be there and see everyone again.
Regards
from the antipodes
Fergi

thunderbird7
9th Mar 2010, 07:07
End of an era chaps. Thanks for looking after me in my tender years, flight decks are not the same today...

Terry K Rumble
9th Mar 2010, 07:10
Kev,

Very best wishes to you and all the kipper fleet Eng's.

I would just like to echo what charlie launcher wrote:

"Sitting here today because of an engineers professionalism"

That says it all really and probably applies to a lot of us!

Best wishes
Terry

Throttle Pusher
9th Mar 2010, 17:54
Kev

Sorry but unable to make it up for the celebrations next month.

Remember arriving on CXX as a fresh faced sergeant just as Coulson, Garret and Irvin had been banned from the mess for the “ice bucket” incident. Went on my first Rum Punch with “Tetsi” and learned that you could play hard but still be professional at your job. Memories of good times and lost memories of even better ones!

Hope you all have a great day and look forward to seeing some of the guys flying with us down south.

TP

bluesilk
10th Mar 2010, 16:04
Just like to reiterate what has already been said many times. I always thought the only one in the whole crew who knew how it worked was the Eng. A fantastic bunch of people. The first one I met was dear old Sam Gamble, now sadly long gone, but what a man and you were all the same. Have a great party.:ok::ok:

neilmac
10th Mar 2010, 21:18
Kev,

Damn shame all around, met some top Air Engs whilst in the DS including yourself of course. Any word on Nimrods doing the rounds of local airfields? I left mob last year and now an ATCO at Wick. Have a top piss up!

cheers,

Neil Mac

Spud75
16th Mar 2010, 11:56
Folks,

List will now stay open until 31st March.

Spud.

olddog
16th Mar 2010, 12:17
All the best to all Flt Eng's past and present. My first Eng was Horse Freer who at the start of the Shack MOTU introduced me, my fellow stude pilot and a certain Hairy Eng (of some repute in later years) to Auntie Pearl at the Riv Lodge where we instantly became persona grata. My last were Garry C and Nick D on 51. To all of you - thank you for words of wisdom, hours of dedicated professionalism and years of friendship. I wish you all health and happiness in the future and hope to meet some of you for a beer or 2 on 31 Mar.

olddog
16th Mar 2010, 12:23
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs012.snc1/2631_1098120458700_1397285526_30275941_4117497_n.jpg

TaccoHell
19th Mar 2010, 18:33
Have a great celebration guys. Many a long hour spent in your company. The very best to all.

Shackeng
20th Mar 2010, 13:56
How sad that I had to hear of this today via a Truckie!!! Whatever happened to the CXX contact list?
Some names to conjure with on this thread which take me back to happy times:- Auntie Pearl, Hoss Freer, Sam Gamble. Lancman, I followed you on all but the Lanc!!

Pity there's no room left, but have a great time swinging the lights guys, and raise a glass to those of us unable to make it, I spent my last 8 years to 1976 at Kinloss on CXX.

Best wishes to all.

Chris:ok::ok::ok:

fergineer
21st Mar 2010, 02:56
Glad to hear that you are full up.....wish I could be there.....Grizz if you do go have one or three for me......the names that have been rumoured could only lead to one thing....a lot of very sore heads still no work thenext day for the current guys. Hope you all find suitable employment that will use your skills. Good luck and fly safe for the last few sorties drink lots and prosper.
Fergi

Spud75
21st Mar 2010, 10:17
Just to make it clear, the list is full but some of those places are still dependant on other fleets flying programmes. There is a good chance of the first three of four on the reserve list getting a place at the table.

The reserve list is currently empty and I can change it right up to the 31st March.

Shackeng - give me a call on monday morning.

Fergineer - Most of us don't have work the next day or the day after or the...

Dengue_Dude
21st Mar 2010, 12:16
Fergineer

You always were a lazy bastard !

Best wishes

DD

Spud75
23rd Mar 2010, 21:51
Have a few busy folks now unable to attend, so space available for any late comers.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
23rd Mar 2010, 22:37
"a few busy people"? Spud, I thought that this was an Air Eng reunion?

Ok. I'll get my coat!

aw ra best for the night.

Duncs:ok:

fergineer
24th Mar 2010, 19:05
Dunno what you mean DD Grizz is more than capable of drinking my two or three gotta let someone do it for me!!!!! Will have some for you guys down under here. Seems like the Kiwi airforce will have a larger maritime force than the UK soon. Still we have at least the North the South and the West Islands!!!!!! (Ducks and puts on flak jacket). Enjoy your rest guys there is life afterwards.

QEI1
24th Mar 2010, 19:20
Kev, please pass on all my best wishes to those of you who stayed to the end of the MR2. I remember my days in the early 80's with pleasure. The Mighty Hunter and the crews certainly made me a better Air Engineer. After my close shave on XV257, life took on a different perspective, CRM happened naturally on a Nimrod, or you didn't go far. Sorry that I am unable to take part in the final celebrations, but I am thinking of you all. All the best to every Nimrod Air Eng.

Moose Moxon

virgo
24th Mar 2010, 19:51
Best regards to Spigot and anyone else who remembers Alan Bonnick............
I'll have a beer or three, to salute those who flew the salty seas. Wouldn't have missed it for the world !http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i271/Virgo_photo/Shackletonwingover-1.jpg?t=1269460077

virgo
24th Mar 2010, 20:46
One to tell at the bar...................Navigator examining the cuff of his shirt,
"Have to get some new shirts - I think it's my steel watch-strap that makes the cuffs threadbare"
Flight-engineer's response, "I've got the same trouble............I think it's the hairs on my wrist"

fergineer
26th Mar 2010, 20:12
Well its 9am here hows the night going hope you are all on your best behaviour!!!!!! May the night be long and the water with whatever mix be flowing freely. Thinking of friends past and present mates for life. Some of the best that I have had the pleasure to know.

Dengue_Dude
26th Mar 2010, 23:01
Fergi,

I'm worried about you . . . I've never heard you wax so lyrical before. Are you OK? We're talking about Nimrods here . . . Stage 2s, MAD etc etc - spew machines, not suitable for any self-respecting Truckie.

Sheena sends her love.

DD

Seldomfitforpurpose
26th Mar 2010, 23:27
Fergi,

I'm worried about you . . . I've never heard you wax so lyrical before. Are you OK? We're talking about Nimrods here . . . Stage 2s, MAD etc etc - spew machines, not suitable for any self-respecting Truckie.

Sheena sends her love.

DD

Sheena....surname starting with E ?

OilCan
27th Mar 2010, 05:44
Oh bo**ocks, she didn't tell me she was that old.:eek:

fergineer
27th Mar 2010, 19:48
DD I would have probably more chance of spewing if I had been at the do!!! Have only good memories of my time on the maritime fleet. Hi to Sheena.

euringineer
30th Mar 2010, 22:17
Just before the MK2 came into being, 80% of us got our Comet 4C Type Rated CAA FE Licences and legged it to airlines and countries various. We owe a great debt to that core of FEs who organised it namely Roy Holmwood, Paddy Hand, Geordie King, Phil Allen + Dan Air FEs, many others whose names escape me. Most of us put money into a kitty and we got all the info and questions. As always there were some ****s who did sweet fa and took but didnt contribute. However we all enjoyed a civil career thanks to those pioneers. I still have a copy of the letter Roy rxed from the CAA agreeing that the Nimrod MR1 was variant of the Comet and we should be able to get a Comet 4C Type Rating by passing the Comet 4C Tech Exam with Nimrod Sim and Flying Checks. Many of us took our B Cats and Licence at the same time. There is a lot to admire of the inexperienced generation who brought the MR2 into service and flew in the Falklands campaign and very quickly met the challenge to retain our credibility in the fleet. The Esperit de Corps built up through Sunderlands, Lancs, Shacks and Nimrods is there to the end and I congratulate Kev organising a worthy farewell to the Kipper Fleet which will never be the same without THE TALKING RAD ALT and all round good egg

TheSmiter
10th Apr 2010, 08:42
Very long shot I know, but any Ginger Beers with more than half their brain cells still active, up and about after yesterdays shindig at Kinloss?

Any good dits?

Do we still have a functioning mess?

Did you all find the authorised heads, or resort to headgear as usual? :uhoh:

Seriously guys, hope you had a brilliant day. You'll be sadly missed.

:{

Spud75
10th Apr 2010, 12:05
Oh my head really hurts:ok::E