PDA

View Full Version : Self taught pilot?

jim63
3rd Mar 2010, 18:46
This guy is teaching himself to fly his homemade helicopter,just insane if you ask me.l422VlRE4xs

mfriskel
3rd Mar 2010, 19:19
Why does it sound like an RC helicopter and not make any dust cloud or any trash blow around while hovering over that street?

elro
3rd Mar 2010, 20:13
Would feel safer flying Dick DeGraw's Synchrocopter.
Q6mDK9XhklE

Flying Lawyer
3rd Mar 2010, 20:51
jim63 just insane if you ask Looks impressive to me.

mfriskel Why does it sound like an RC helicopter and not make any dust cloud or any trash blow around while hovering over that street?

Rotax (or lawn-mower :)) engine?
The two ultralight kit helicopters I've heard sounded very similar. One was a Compress (I think); I can't remember the make of the other.

If he regularly operates from there (open garage where he parks) that might explain the absence of enough dust to form a cloud. Also, the MTOW is probably no more than about 250-300 kgs.

Look at the ground behind him as he hovers backwards right to left.
Trash is blown towards the camera at 1m 2 secs.

I think it's genuine, but I have been fooled by a good fake video before now.

Hughes500
3rd Mar 2010, 20:51
Mark

If you look closely it does blow dust and trash around and makes the bushes move. All the same pretty brave !

VH-XXX
3rd Mar 2010, 21:00
It's definitely legitimate (as far as the video goes). As for legal... hard to know what the rules are there.

I'd suggest that he was moderately experienced as a helicopter pilot but rather he's learning to fly that particular machine.

The 180 degree turns and general handling are too precise for him to be a beginner plus he pulls off perfect landings each time.

manitoubrian
3rd Mar 2010, 22:58
That is fairly impressive if self taught. Looked very in control to me. Find it difficult to believe he has not received some instruction on some type of helicopter. Then again didn't Sikorsky teach himself how to fly and look at his legacy now!

S76Heavy
4th Mar 2010, 05:53
Probably safer than riding a bicycle in Bejing...

Inpressive initiative. And we're arguing about a child reading a clearance on ATC frequency.

lotusexige
4th Mar 2010, 13:18
One suspects Robinson taught Robinson to fly a Robinson and Hughes taught Schweizer to fly a Schweizer, and we all know about Uncle Igor:)

Ian Corrigible
4th Mar 2010, 13:38
Probably safer than riding a bicycle in Beijing...
If you ride a bicycle in Beijing these days, you're likely to find yourself under the wheels of a BFD sedan in short order... :ouch:

and we all know about Uncle Igor
Is he the uncle who has "boundary issues"? :E

It's good to know that Chinese R/W pilots are able to teach themselves to fly. If the PRC really is going to add "10,000 helicopters by 2020," as the press keeps saying, most of the pilots will have to be self-taught, since there aren't enough instructors in-country to train that many.

I/C

jim63
4th Mar 2010, 13:57
If the PRC really is going to add "10,000 helicopters by 2020," as the press keeps saying, most of the pilots will have to be self-taught, since there aren't enough instructors in-country to train that many.

If that's the case,I don't think it's instructors that they are going to be short of.

IFMU
5th Mar 2010, 01:08
Who better?

One suspects Robinson taught Robinson to fly a Robinson and Schweizer taught Schweizer to fly a Schweizer, and we all know about Uncle Igor.
This is actually true, despite lotusexige's clever edit. But, the Schweizers taught themselves to fly in Schweizer gliders.

-- IFMU

lotusexige
5th Mar 2010, 12:55
Yes, I forgot about that bit:rolleyes:

birrddog
5th Mar 2010, 17:13
But, the Schweizers taught themselves to fly in Schweizer gliders.

Must have been a brave peelot who first volunteered to be chucked off a hill in a helicopter to autorotate down to the bottom... talk about the dead mans curve!

:8

Ned-Air2Air
5th Mar 2010, 18:31
If you look at 2.16 thru to 2.29 you can see him looking left then right then out and down at the skids so I would have to say this is a legit video.

heli-cal
5th Mar 2010, 22:46
Ultralight, home built helicopters of up to 254 lbs don't need to be registered, nor do their pilots need to have any training or rating! (In the US). http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/helixpteron/helicopter.gif

Runway101
8th Mar 2010, 09:54
Another farmer another angle??

SqrAA0xDKmE