PDA

View Full Version : Decals with usable fuel amount next to filler caps

A37575
2nd Mar 2010, 11:54
Question. A few years back there was an airworthiness requirement that next to the fuel filler caps on general aviation aircraft, the usable fuel amount in litres was written on a decal. This was a quite important safety measure where aircraft such as the Cessna 172 and Cessna 152 could have standard size fuel tanks or so-called long range fuel tanks.

Is that airworthiness requirement still current?

Cougar
3rd Mar 2010, 00:07
Not to my knowledge, but not 100% sure.

I recently went to Essendon where the refueller would not give me AVGAS until the aircraft (hired) had red AVGAS stickers stuck on next to all the tanks. Thankfully he had some in his truck! :ok:

PA39
3rd Mar 2010, 02:29
The capacity or usable fuel does not have to be on the tank flap or cap. However the TYPE of fuel must be placarded on the flap or under the flap or on the wing next to the tank inlet.

AerocatS2A
3rd Mar 2010, 02:44
I recently went to Essendon where the refueller would not give me AVGAS until the aircraft (hired) had red AVGAS stickers stuck on next to all the tanks. Thankfully he had some in his truck!
I'd rather have that refueler than the one who commenced filling my piston engine machine with Jet A1 until he noticed the red Avgas stickers. (Yeah, it was my fault, I wasn't supervising the fueling, normalisation of deviation.)

Nkosi
3rd Mar 2010, 02:47
The POH or Flight Manual, usually Section 2, should contain required placards of which the fuel and quantity is usually identified.

Nkosi

Jabawocky
3rd Mar 2010, 04:06
I'd rather have that refueler than the one who commenced filling my piston engine machine with Jet A1 until he noticed the red Avgas stickers. (Yeah, it was my fault, I wasn't supervising the fueling, normalisation of deviation.)

You would not be a Steve M by any chance would ya :} He had a nasty parasailing exercise in the Whitsundays recently that rumour has it was caused by a similar story.......but undetected until much later :ouch:

AerocatS2A
3rd Mar 2010, 04:33
Nope. Mine was all sorted on the ground, thankfully.

whiskey1
3rd Mar 2010, 06:03
Company I used to work for too delivery of a C152 imported from the USA. We were assured that it had long range tanks. Found out it did not on a dual instructional flight when it got very very quiet.

heated ice detector
3rd Mar 2010, 10:44
I thought it was always total fuel on the outside and usable fuel on the inside next to the fuel gauges, the POH will show you a nice pic of the actual decal required,

Peter Fanelli
3rd Mar 2010, 11:11
Company I used to work for too delivery of a C152 imported from the USA. We were assured that it had long range tanks. Found out it did not on a dual instructional flight when it got very very quiet.

Imported into where?
If it was Australia then I doubt very much that it was ferried therefore the tanks would have been emptied prior to shipping.
Surely a fuel gauge calibration would have been required for an Australia C of A.
How could you not know what it had?

A37575
3rd Mar 2010, 13:06
the POH will show you a nice pic of the actual decal required,

The POH may be many 25 plus years old like the aircraft and would not show details of a sticker that was an Australian airworthiness requirement.