PDA

View Full Version : Boeing Believes Britain is Great!

Hell Man
2nd Mar 2010, 05:10
FT.com / UK - Boeing offers to assemble Chinooks in Britain (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/6b65c2c2-2599-11df-9bd3-00144feab49a.html)

Yellow & Blue Baron
2nd Mar 2010, 05:32
Yes Boeing's interest in the UK grows by the year. They got a bit 'sh***y' when BA stopped operating the civilian 234 in the North Sea but when the British Army approached them over the Longbow they got a hard on! This was at the (temporary) expense of relations with Agusta who were keenly offering their 129 attack helicopter.

It will be interesting to see whether the big American corporation decides to team up with AgustaWestland or whether they expand their South Coast facility. Either way it should mean some job additions - well done to the UK!

moscovite
2nd Mar 2010, 06:12
Why British army not consider using Russian Mi26 for we have very good helicopter for them with very good capability?

Hell Man
2nd Mar 2010, 06:19
Hi Moscovite - welcome to Ppruneland! :ok:

I think you'll find that the answer to your question is to be found in politics but, with a good anti missile system and glass cockpit, you are right, the 26 would make an effective troop and equipment carrier.

If it makes you feel any better - the US gov't has ordered 20+ Mi17s although this is not widely known.

HM

moscovite
2nd Mar 2010, 06:28
We know about us govornment order and I was just yesterday in factory where this is being prepared but even more this makes me ask why Britain not buy Mi26. It is faster, also quiter, and lifting more loads and if problem with any gearbox is not cutting into other rotors.

Hell Man
2nd Mar 2010, 09:51
Moscovite, you make me laugh! :)

Yes, technically I suppose the Chinook could 'cut into its rotors' if their was a failure of the coupling gearbox but I don't think this has happened very often.

Look friend, every year that passes, your Russian helicopters stand a good chance of making more of an impact on the global market because your aircraft are versatile. You only need to look at the UN - these days they use Russian helicopters almost exclusively.

Eurocopter's involvement with Mil in projects such as the Mi38 is going to expose your products to a wider market and if Mil go into production with the Mi54 then you can expect Mil to start taking a sizeable (relatively) portion of the medium twin market - especially in the developing world.

So - be patient and your helicopters will be all over the world!

moscovite
2nd Mar 2010, 10:00
Thank you Mr Hell Man,

Tonite we take glass of vodka and remembar your name for supporting our land.

What is your name also meaning please?

Hell Man
2nd Mar 2010, 10:10
Thank you too Moscovite.

I am not only supporting Russian helicopters but also helicopters from every country and every manufacturer.

I think we are going a bit off thread here but ... my teacher at school gave me the name 'helicopter boy' because I was always talking about helicopters. This became 'helicopter man' when I joined the Army where my commanding officer shortened it to Hell Man with the comment that wherever I went I created hell! He was joking of course.

WOP
2nd Mar 2010, 15:36
Hi Moscovite, what if a pilot with JAR certificates wanted to end up flying on an Mi-26? Would he stand any chance with the companies flying it in the civilian market at present? Question's out of personal interest obviously... :E

Apologies for the OT

9Aplus
2nd Mar 2010, 18:46
If it makes you feel any better - the US gov't has ordered 20+ Mi17s although this is not widely known.

More than 50 units in 2010. my friend.... therefore price went strongly UP :}

moscovite
2nd Mar 2010, 19:34
Dear Mr WOP,

Thank you your message. In begining 1980's civil operator use Mil in Maldives they use local licence. Then in 1990's we sent Mil and Kamov to Papue New Guinea (where I go for 1 month) and the pilot was from New Zeeland and Australia. Now more different countries buy from us and they also fly.

The JAR licence very acceptable, you just make the air legislation and local familiar flying and we accept you. Of course post USSR everbody need to keep job and so when selling we try to keep Russian pilot and also you need us to show you how helicopter is working to fly but now things they change and we becoming more connected all over world.

If you fly Mi26 you not want to fly another helicopter. Is very big and powerful yes but is handeling like your Puma or Lynx helicopter.

Pls what is OT meaning?

- - -

Mr 9APLUS,

Yes we know this order, we happy for it. Is better East and West mix more and we connect our technologies.

Thank tyou.

Brilliant Stuff
2nd Mar 2010, 21:41
OT = Off Topic

I am being told the reason why the UK does not want anything bigger than a Puma is that when they crash they only loose a few soldiers compared to the number they would loose in a Blackhawk or Mi-26.

Sounds a bit far fetched if you ask me but sadly a great deal is down to politics.

Considering how cheap Sikorsky offered the Blackhawk recently in replacement to the ageing Pumas.

MightyGem
3rd Mar 2010, 03:33
I am being told the reason why the UK does not want anything bigger than a Puma is that when they crash they only loose a few soldiers compared to the number they would loose in a Blackhawk or Mi-26.
I think Chinooks and Merlins carry a few more troops than Pumas do. :ugh: :ugh:

Brilliant Stuff
3rd Mar 2010, 13:03
I didn't say it made any sense.

I wish I knew what is going on at the MOD because this piecemeal thing ain't working.

Also can someone explain to me why rockets go out of date?

I would have thought the only thing which goes out of date is the propulsion, could you not just change that part instead of wasting the whole rocket? Ooops OT.

Hell Man
4th Mar 2010, 19:35
Moscovite; I have some good news for you!

Please read the following: US to join Czech-led project involving Mi helicopters | Prague Monitor (http://praguemonitor.com/2010/03/04/us-join-czech-led-project-involving-mi-helicopters)

HM