PDA

View Full Version : Issues changing Garmin 96C Maps

AirBumps
1st Mar 2010, 23:36
G'day guys,

I'm living and flying in Norway at the moment and brought with me from Austraila my trusty 96C, thinking it would be a quick software update from the Australian database to the European (Atlantic) one. Wrong. I should have read the manual first.

Without any investigation whatsoever, I launched straight into the Garmin website and updated my Jepp airspace maps to the Atlantic ones. No problem. So now I can see what airspace I'm in over here. Problem is I can't seem to find a way to change the basemap so I'm still stuck flying over...well...nothing.

So, two problems. First, is there ANY way to change the basemap? I've done some searching on the NET and some people claim to have figured out a way, but it didn't seem clear to me how they did it.

Secondly, assuming I CANNOT change the basemap, is there anyway I can get my original Pacific Jepp airspace maps back, without buying another copy from Garmin?

I really should have looked into this before I jumped head first, but...what can you do.

Thanks guys,
AB

ForkTailedDrKiller
2nd Mar 2010, 02:50
AirBumps

I am not familiar with the 96C, having jumped from the III Pilot to the 296. Does it have a slot for a data card? If so you can most likely update using Garmin Worldmap software.

Have you contacted Garmin Technical Help? I have found them to be very helpful.

Dr :8

172driver
2nd Mar 2010, 22:42
Done exactly the same on a 96 (the sw version) back and forth from Atlantic to Pacific (i.e. Oz) and back. No problem.

What sometimes happens is that the maps don't install properly on the first try (this, btw, also happens during updates). Assuming you downloaded the correct Atlantic map from the Garmin website, I'd suggest to re-install the bl**dy thing until it works. Can take 4 or 5 tries :eek:

Give it a few more goes and possibly do a 'hard reset' (ref Garmin manual).

Should work.

PS: ensure you have the correct database/basemap for your unit

AirBumps
3rd Mar 2010, 13:07
Thanks boys,

I spoke with Garmin over here who've said there is no way to change the basemap, however you can add maps using MapSource as the good Dr alluded to above. So I've managed to go about it that way - adding plenty of European maps whilst also keeping my Pacific basemap. Nice work!

AB