PDA

View Full Version : University Degrees on leaving

racedo
1st Mar 2010, 14:17
Ok no doubt Govt would claim lack of money etc BUT given the experience levels of Armed forces personnel plus the opportunities or lack of that may arise on leaving could the Govt offer something different.

Any person leaving with 8 or greater years service or discharged as a result of conflict injury, subject to meeting the required criteria for entry, the right to study for a Degree at a recognised university free of all tuition fees to be started within 5 years of leaving the services. In addition after 1st year the person concerned would receive a weekly allowance for 2-3 years subject to their continued presence and sucess on the degree course.

Or does something like this exist already ?

Climebear
1st Mar 2010, 14:34
The Service Personnel Command Paper (http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/BBAC5D78-7183-403F-B45E-8259C27B5932/0/TheNationsCommitmentAnnualReport_2009.pdf)mentions this - Education and Training for Armed Forces Leavers (Commitment 24):

'Those joining the Armed Forces often commit to this career path before they can take advantage of opportunities in further and higher education. All Service leavers with over 6 years’ service will have the opportunity to achieve their first Level 3 qualification (A-level or vocational equivalent) free from tuition fees. Alternatively, for those who want to progress to higher levels, we will fund all tuition fees for a first Foundation or full degree. This means that a sailor, soldier or airman can join the Armed Forces from school, secure in the knowledge that six or more years’ service will be rewarded with the opportunity of a college or university education without tuition fees. Although they have differing national qualification frameworks and fee arrangements, Scottish Ministers and the Welsh Assembly Government have agreed to put in place similar measures.'

Gnd
1st Mar 2010, 17:53
check this out (http://www.cityandguilds.com/42974.html)

When at work, check intranet for DIN on Mil dispensations. LCGI, GCGI and MCGI.

vecvechookattack
1st Mar 2010, 19:26
Don't you get a degree as part of your flying training? Sure I heard something about a scheme.....

..... Sorry. I've just found it.

On completion of the presentation of your wings you are awarded a Foundation degree in "Military Aviation Studies"

Union Jack
1st Mar 2010, 19:36
Or does something like this exist already?

Yes, but not for us unfortunately.:ouch:

If you really want to upset yourself, have a look at what is available to the cousins at Education | Military.com (http://www.military.com/education/)

Jack

BA (3rd Class Honours in Applied Psychology)(Failed)
University of Life

charliegolf
1st Mar 2010, 19:43
On completion of the presentation of your wings you are awarded a Foundation degree in "Military Aviation Studies"

Do I detect a slightly 'sneery' tone in the typing, Vev?

CG

Grimweasel
1st Mar 2010, 20:17
Speak to your local Training and Dev Flt if you are in the RAF.

There are some guidelines etc but my friend runs the scheme at HQ Air. All RAF leavers can get a degree as long as they are currently a non-graduate. I don't think you can use it for a Masters etc.

If you are in the RAF currently you are better off using your ELC's whilst you are still serving as they are tax free - if you use them in the 10yrs after leaving you get taxed on the ELCs.

So, leave the ELCs for other study/courses and then take the RAF up on their kind offer once you leave.

That's all I have been told - best research to make sure it's 100%; some TDFs don't even know about the scheme because it's not been well advertised. I think the outgoing CAS promised this in a paper interview and it was then difficult for the RAF to back down!!

8-15fromOdium
1st Mar 2010, 20:54
Climebear/Grimweasel, the Service Personnel Command Paper funds the foundation degree using ELC money:

Armed Forces leavers with 6 years service, who have been members of the ELC scheme, can now access free of charge a first further or higher education qualification at the level for which they are academically qualified on leaving the Service.

racedo there is lots of stuff on courses offered by the service at the RAF Learning Forces pages (http://www.raf.mod.uk/raflearningforces/courseinfo/).

racedo
1st Mar 2010, 21:30
Thanks Guys

I think this should be openly available to all service personnel with the only preconditions being service and conduct.

Mind you perhaps adding on that personnel with 20 years service have their kids free of tuition fees if they enter Uni may also be a nice addon.

No doubt people will complain its a waste of resources but tis no worse than paying for a 18 year old snot to drink himself/herself into oblivion while the get a Degree in Madonna Studies or Media Studies.

Given election coming up then nailing the politicians for a real way of saying thank you to those who serve might be good.

Just thinking of a way of saying Thanks that doesn't involve people being patronised by :mad: politicians in a photo op.