PDA

View Full Version : B737NG Type rating and 500 hrs

superman_32
28th Feb 2010, 07:40
I am planning to pay unfortunetly for a type rating on the B737NG with 500 hrs block hours, the cost is huge (28900GBP) just to be employable. I would have gone for the A320 but it is beyond the scope of my finances as it is 50000GBP. Could anyone advise me whether this would be the best route to take in order to get this first step into the airlines? Even those which are not operating 737NGs?

Any advise is much appreciate it.

sanddude
28th Feb 2010, 07:52
Superman,

I asume you posted it in The ME forum to get some local knowledge. Just to confirm what you probably have already seen on the airline websites. 500 hours on type ( TT maybe 750?) is not gonna give you a job anywhere in the midle east. People tend to think the overall requirements are less overhere. In reality its the otherway around.

Nightfire
28th Feb 2010, 08:09
You won't get any, what you expect to be "constructive" answer from anybody here.

The damn issue of "pay to fly"-scams has been addressed many times before, if you just read the various threads about Easyjet and Ryanair for example.

Sorry. With all due sympathy for someone who is trying to find his first job, but by paying for your own employment you are not helping yourself. What's more, is you are doing harm to everyone else - it is OUR jobs (and later also yours) which will get cut as airlines tend to replace regular First Officers by people like you.

Get a type-rating once you have some idea as to where you might be going, so you don't buy the wrong one.
As for the job, either way you do it, you'll have to wait for your chance like everyone else, send your applications, collect information, and work on your interview-skills. There is a lot of other stuff you have to do.

superman_32
28th Feb 2010, 10:23
Blank Blank Blank Blank

SKYWRITER1
28th Feb 2010, 11:10
The thing is Superman, what is written isnt always what you need. Korean are struggling to get crew, but there selection process is infamously fussy. I have over 2500hrs on the 737 300/500/800. A good career history, no accidents etc and I am really struggling to find myself a job at the moment. You seem to have already convinced yourself of the direction you are going to take so why bother asking???????

superman_32
28th Feb 2010, 11:56
BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK
:}:):bored::confused::\:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Nightfire
28th Feb 2010, 12:21
Getting a type rating with hours will for sure put me in good stead for airlines. 500 hr magical hours on type is surely enough to get me into an airline espcially that my total hours are 4500 hrs. I was checking the requirements and I spoke to many captains in ME airlines in the region

Superman, sorry, but you are not just a little bit naive.

I don't know whom you spoke to, but I can tell you that:

1. 4500 hrs, unless they're on jet aircraft (pref. glass cockpit) are absolutely worthless as far as the airlines are concerned.

2. 500 hrs on a 737 may be the minimum requirement, but there are dozens if not hundreds of experienced First Officers waiting for an interview ahead of you, with five or six times that on a NG or A320. And they are ten years younger than you.

There's no realistic chance for at least another two more years. But go ahead and do what you think is best, you seem to be the advice-resistant type of person. We're wasting our time here.

how come with such experience you have not got in with people like Fly Dubai who are looking for experienced crew on their equipment?

You just don't get it, do you. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

sheikmyarse
28th Feb 2010, 15:23
Better you spend your 29000 pounds on beer.. my friend.This job is finished..sorry.

superman_32
28th Feb 2010, 17:01
WANT WANT WANT WANT NEVER GIVE GIVE GIVE??????????:{:=:hmm:

Nightfire
28th Feb 2010, 17:50
This career is really the worst choice I have ever decided to persue. I wish I completed my university degree, I would have left it long time ago. Lost it's glamor and its status we are just other forms of drivers and low class workmen.

Aha! :D

Maybe go back to university, or do whatever else with your remaining money.

fly now
28th Feb 2010, 18:27
Hi Folks!
I am looking for a LSP to renew the typaerating with me the first of week of March and Obviuosly to share the costs!!
please also inform about the cheapest Jaa place

thank you

:{

winkle
28th Feb 2010, 18:54
Hi - Please do not waste your hard earned cash on embarking on a pay to fly scheme it is the cancer of the industry. Flying a 737 is not glamerous and it's not even fun.... ok i am ex mil and am biased cause i did fun flying but i also enjoyed my GA flying and gliding was just fantastic but i also flew 737's and i found it so shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite that I stopped flying altogether and chose another profession this was after flying for 25 years.
Please do yourself a favour and use the money for something else.
If you do go ahead and do a pay to fly you will regret it.

captplaystation
28th Feb 2010, 21:20
superman 32 = Troll Alert ! :hmm:

Nobody can be that dumb surely ? :=

Is this version 3 of "S.F.L.Y" / "Baron rouge" ? certainly displays the same ostrich-like character. :ugh:

superman_32
1st Mar 2010, 02:56
GOOD BYE CRUEL WORLD ......GOOD BYE AVIATION......GOOD BYE....SUGAR AND SPICE :sad::(:rolleyes::mad::\:)

latetonite
1st Mar 2010, 04:46
If the industry is going this way, it is only because of people like you!
You are lucky I am not sitting in the assessment panel. Cause Then nobody would be able to `buy`his or her way in..First learn to fly, then go sell your qualities to the fare paying public.

superman_32
3rd Mar 2010, 14:14
Thanks guys for your advise :ok::{

captplaystation
3rd Mar 2010, 17:48
Either I am becoming dyslexic or you are becoming schizophrenic, but whichever way, your last post didn't make a whole lot of sense. In fact your "Oh my gawd what I am I going to do now" post earlier on had the distinct whiff of troll. :rolleyes:
Anybody that believes 500hr on type makes a blind bit of difference in the current job market could only be a troll, or living on planet Zog. :hmm:

latetonite
3rd Mar 2010, 18:24
I have the impressium Superman is just stirring us up to start a thread. Well, it worked! Which one next?

Eye off the ball
3rd Mar 2010, 20:03
Superman, I'd brush up on your English before you fill out any Application forms. It's barely readable.

I'm not trying to be unkind or act as the spelling police but it really does need some attention.

500 hrs on a 737 will not put you at the head of the queue, as you hope it will, but rest assured, a badly completed application will get you straight to the back no matter how many hours you have on type.

superman_32
8th Mar 2010, 19:03
my frendez za henglish haz no broblem i am go fly vroooom vrooooom zet and get me 500 zweet ours on ze type zen i will get job yah? hairlines will avetullay bee looking ozerwise me ride camel again like long time ago!!!!!......:ok::O

RJSAviator76
8th Mar 2010, 22:46
Superman 32, really, what are you trying to achieve? Are you just doing this for fun? You must be...

If you go and spend 29000 GBP on 500 hours in the right seat of a B-737NG, why should anyone pay you afterwards as opposed to get another chump to plop another 29000 GBP? It's a great additional source of revenue for the airline - imagine, instead of paying a required crew member a salary, they get that required crew member to pay THEM. What a concept!

Again, that's why I think you must be doing this for fun because professionals get paid, and as someone doing this for fun and offering to pay to play, you are screwing over the professional pilots who get paid for this kind of work. :=:=:=

Firestorm
9th Mar 2010, 07:41
Superman 32. This is not a very good place to ask for advice on this subject at the moment. The road you intend to go down will win you no support. In short we established pilots are suffering because of people like you who are undermining our terms, and conditions. Why would an airline employ someone like me (5.500 TT, 2700 turbo-prop, 2000 hours 737)at a cost of about £45k when you can be employed, and pay for the privilege? If you do this now you will be in my position in 2 or 3 years time which is unemployed having been made redundant. So think about the consequences of your actions. There will be long term ramifications for you individually, and the rest of us collectively if schemes such as this are allowed to succeed, and your terms and conditions in the future will be severely eroded by your hasty impatience now. Airlines are not flying clubs: if you want to learn to fly a Cessna 172 fair enough to pay a few grand for a PPL: if you want to learn to fly a 737 behave like a qualified professional. If you want to start you career with that level of debt to your name you are nuts. You might have the cash to pay for it, and be debt free, but think of all the other things that you will need that money for later in your life such as a pension. If you spend it now you it will take approximately 25 years to re-earn and save it. Think of how much less you will have as a pension for example if you do that compared to if you invested that sum of capital now.

I suggest that you contact organisations such as The Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators, BALPA and IPA, to see what their advice is. And maybe go , and have a chat with you or Daddy's bank manager to see what he thinks of the risk of your investment. Ask him if he would lend you the money as an unsecured loan with no guarantee of full time employment on completion of your 500 hours.

My personal opinion which I will share with you (and you may not like it - that's a risk I'll live with) is this: if you think this scheme is a good idea then I think you are displaying very poor decision making skills, and very poor judgement based mostly on emotion rather than saying what you see which I think makes you a wholey inappropriate person to be a pilot, and I would not want to share a flight deck with you.

captplaystation
10th Mar 2010, 15:25
To THE MODS.

Gentlemen, given superman32's modifications to all his previous posts which he added on 8th March could we now finally close this futile little thread and let the "lunatic" go back to his asylum ?

superman_32
12th Mar 2010, 08:07
Dear All,

I only asked for your advise I did not say I WILL go and pay all this money just to fly a jet. But you know sometimes, my frustration and my view of an unfair career made me think along this path. I love aviation I really do, I dont know what about it but it is just like a drug to me. I paid so much to get to were I am at the moment(debts). I started my career training at the wrong time. But I believe really that things will change for the better now since this huge world recession took place, I think we would be back to the demand curve as it was back in the 80s. So, there is always light at the end of the tunnel. But thank you all for your wonderful advise, and for sure we need to stop such schemes where we have to pay more to get to a position we should be qualified already to undertake.

So, thanks again guys, and all those guys who got the experience and at the moment redundant please go into flight instructing even part time if you have an instructor rating that is, at least something better than nothing.

Good luck all.:D:ok: