PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Haiti

CaptDean
27th Feb 2010, 16:02
I have been asked to fly for a smaller hospital, north of Port-au-Prince.Volunteer unfortunately, but we all have to do our bit.

Anyone down there that has first hand info on the situation, would be greatly appreciated.

What are the procedures for landing at PAP and MTCH. How is fuel, both turbine and 100LL.

Weather expectations or any other help.

Thanks

singesavant
27th Feb 2010, 17:40
hi there,

i used to fly and stay in haiti over 8 months.
Can not talk about the current situation since I left 3 weeks ago, sorry.
Now airport is (was!) under US control so much better as it used to be. They were asking to fill up a vfr flight plan form before take off, but now things are easier, english only on the radio.
Beside that no specifics procedure, expect usa airspace like and com but acknowledge that there is no radar service, which made things pretty scary the very first days right after the big thing happened...

Only place to get AVGAS in Haiti is MTPP (PaP), now jet is usually available at MTCH too. I would advise to call up before heading there to make sure they do have jet this particular day. Good to have someone who speaks french or creole for dealing with people for fuel and particularly in remote areas out in the bush (all locations are remote over there!).
Make the gents at fuel your friends, tip them a bit and get their phone number. Keep calling them to get them over should you don t want to wait hours for your fuel. They are nice people albeit a bit slow/lay back as one can figure...

ho forgot to mention, you need cash US dol for fuel and indeed they don t have change.

Quite lot of US pilots / aircraft when i left the country.

No other airport with fuel within the country but MTPP and MTCH, most of major airport in Dominican Republic do have both...

Watch out while heading northbound, since you have to over fly mountain range up to 3000/4000 feet at the least and weather after March/april is likewise to be cloudy and thunderstorm building almost every day around relief and mountains ridge (everywhere within the country though) thus around noon time usually. Should it happen, best advices is to follow the shorelines and get over water where sky is usually clear.
Heading very south to Jacmel is worst since mountains go up to 2700 m at the most. You will find out that you rather go early in the morning at summer time...

Heading west is lower altitude flying...

Let me know if I can be of any help.

PS: I have a dirt bike for sale in Port Au Prince!

Davy

CaptDean
27th Feb 2010, 21:38
Thank, that is exactly the type of info I am looking for. I understand they have an R-44 so lack of 100LL could be a problem

anyone esle, please hop right in!

singesavant
27th Feb 2010, 22:19
you are welcome and yes flying a 44 in Haiti is definitely a challenge should you have to get to the provincial towns, keep an eye on the fuel and the other one on the weather!

stay safe

Davy