PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair Passenger Eats Winning Scratchcard

strake
27th Feb 2010, 10:29
Possibly cheaper and more edible than the on-board fare......:)

BBC News - Angry Ryanair passenger eats his winning scratchcard (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8539560.stm)

CornishFlyer
27th Feb 2010, 11:53
What an absolute plank. Why would you eat a 10,000 euro ticket purely because you can't have it there and then? Obviously they aren't going to carry that sort of money on board every flight "just in case" someone wins it. I hope this fool feels as stupid now in retrospect as he really should

west lakes
27th Feb 2010, 12:01
I'm sorry folks, this was put in the Ryanair thread in this SLF forum and in TRABB in Jet Blast on Thursday evening, the Ryanair forum on Airline, Airports and routes yesterday, and on Jet Blast this morning!

Any way it is true but they missed the detail that he ripped the card up before eating it!

Anansis
27th Feb 2010, 12:52
Any way it is true...

I'm not buying this story for a second. Ryanair will do anything for a bit of quick, cheap publicity. Does it not strike you as odd that the only source for the story is Ryanair itself?

I smell a steaming pile of bull excrement :E

10DowningSt
27th Feb 2010, 13:18
Anansis; surely it can't be a con. There would be 150 (or thereabouts) witnesses to it not happening if you are right.

For me, the story came as a huge surprise that it is possible to win a prize at all with any scratchcard sold by Ryanair. Until now I would not have dreamed of buying one, assuming that it was a trap for the gullible just like the whole Ryanair pricing structure.

(By the way, I 'm not complaining about that; once you understand the various little traps they set to relieve people of their money, it's quite easy to avoid them. I just assumed, wrongly, that the card was another of those. )

west lakes
27th Feb 2010, 13:42
Anansis
If you notice I posted the story on Thursday evening
http://www.pprune.org/5536042-post500.html
within 5 hours of the flight landing.
This was prior to the item on the Ryanair wesite that was posted the day after (Friday) & again with the BBC report

Anansis
27th Feb 2010, 14:34
Anansis; surely it can't be a con. There would be 150 (or thereabouts) witnesses to it not happening if you are right.

Yeah... up to 189 witnesses and not a single one of them has come forward to comment in the media!

For me, the story came as a huge surprise that it is possible to win a prize at all with any scratchcard sold by Ryanair. Until now I would not have dreamed of buying one, assuming that it was a trap for the gullible just like the whole Ryanair pricing structure.

Following this story, how many more scratchcards do you suspect they will now sell to 'converted' people such as your good self?

If you notice I posted the story on Thursday evening
http://www.pprune.org/5536042-post500.html
within 5 hours of the flight landing.
This was prior to the item on the Ryanair wesite that was posted the day after (Friday) & again with the BBC report

I originally read this story on the Ryanair website, though I cant remember when. Were you a passenger on FR1724 from KRK-EMA? If so I stand corrected and humbly apologise. If not then I may be more inclined to believe this story if you care to divulge your source.

Ryanair have form for doing this sort of thing. A few years ago some media outlets were fooled by the announcment that Ryanair were to commence low cost flights to the moon (published on April 1st!!). Were they seriously contemplating the introduction of a fat tax for overweight passengers, or charging £1 to use the toilet? Maybe, maybe not. Either way it got them hundreds of column inches of free publicity in the press.

I'm sorry but I just dont believe this story. Freddie Starr ate my hamster? Perhaps it was a Ryanair scratchcard!! :}:}:}