PDA

View Full Version : Wings over the Illawarra

Howard Hughes
27th Feb 2010, 10:15
Anyone going to Wings over the Illawarra?

If you are say Gidday, I'll be the guy in the aviator sunnies with the big watch!;)

Jabawocky
27th Feb 2010, 10:29
All 600 of you........:}

Howard Hughes
27th Feb 2010, 10:33
Expected attendance 35,000 Jaba! :eek:

I should be easy to spot, I will probably have a two year old sitting on my shoulders, wearing ear muffs!:ok: (that narrows it down a little)

frigatebird
27th Feb 2010, 20:55
Don't forget the camera then. We expect some interesting and unusual shots..

shortdrygrass
28th Feb 2010, 09:50
After a very impressive and tight display the F/A-18 landed but there appeared to be a problem as it was about to leave. He started her up and idled for about twenty minutes, cycling the flaps a dozen times or more whilst testing every control surface continually before shutting her down. Was there any announcement over the PA as to what the problem was? Unfortunately we had to leave.

A great day nonetheless. Connie was once again Queen of the Skies, the Black Cat, The Roulettes very generous half hour gig...

...and it just wouldn't be an airshow without the sound of one of these:
http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx165/camdenbypass/p-51d.jpg

Captain Sand Dune
28th Feb 2010, 20:25
If you are say Gidday, I'll be the guy in the aviator sunnies with the big watch!
Was gunna say something about people who wear Brietlings, but I might upset a couple of of rather precious contributors.:E

Jay Bo
1st Mar 2010, 06:37
No one must read ERSA anymore:ugh: At least half a dozen pilots doing left hand circuits for runway 34 which is uses right hand circuits

Did like the dirty pass by the Beechcraft Premier Jet:ok:

auto throttle
1st Mar 2010, 07:13
Glad you enjoyed it Jay Bo. I was ferrying the jet to Sydney and thought why not have some fun. If anyone has any photos or video of it, I'd love to see it.:ok:

criticalmass
1st Mar 2010, 08:55
The F/A18 was spotted lurking in the HARS hangar which faces south this morning. Whatever the "slight unserviceability" was , it was slight enough to keep it there overnight. Probably the only way HARS will ever have a Hornet in one of their hangars.

Trojan1981
1st Mar 2010, 22:39
So that would be 20 operational then:cool:...

Australia's shrinking air force | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/australias-shrinking-air-force/story-e6frg6nf-1225834931333)

criticalmass
2nd Mar 2010, 07:53
20 on a good day. Apparently the Hornet blew an actuator on the right horizontal stabilator, which was replaced and the hydraulic systems pressurised and bled by powering up the engines. No other source of hydraulic pressure available at YWOL was able to meet the required pressure.

I managed to get a close-up look at the "wee timourous beastie" and it is anything but "wee" or "timorous". Built like a tank, plenty of chipped paint on the leading-edges of just about everything, some paint missing on the outside of the left vertical stabiliser revealing the carbon-fibre material beneath. Built to be used, not to look pretty. Powerfully purposeful, perched on its massively-strong US-Navy spec undercarriage.

The Hornet departed Illawarra Regional Airport on Tuesday afternoon, a noisy but visually very satisfying spectacle for the few present to see it. "In thrust we trust."

I'm also told the RAAF techies who came down were favourably impressed by the HARS stuff and all the restoration work being done.

Trojan1981
2nd Mar 2010, 23:34
I'm also told the RAAF techies who came down were favourably impressed by the HARS stuff and all the restoration work being done.

However, Were HARS impressed by RAAF maintenance? I guess they may have been grateful for their free, temporary static display:}.