PDA

View Full Version : 20(R) Sqn disbandment

peppermint_jam
25th Feb 2010, 10:29
Just spotted that this is happening on 31 March 2010, shame to see yet another laying up of the standard ceremony. We'll be down to single figures before long.......

Two-Tone-Blue
25th Feb 2010, 10:40
Poor old 20 Sqn, disbanded yet again.

However, I'm confident they'll be regenerated; they must be fairly well up the list on the basis of years of service.

Old-Duffer
26th Feb 2010, 06:04
About 25 years ago, I wrote a letter to Air Clues suggesting that OCUs be given squadron numbers as a way of keeping the squadrons and instilling a sense of whatever in the new guys.

My ideas were comprehensively rubbished until a guy from Naval Historical Branch wrote to explain how the RN 700 series squadrons worked. He was followed by Air Marshal Sir John Curtiss, who thought mine was a good idea and it then happened!!

That's my sole contribution from 31 years in the 'regulars' and another - however many it is now - in the reserves.

O-D

kenparry
26th Feb 2010, 13:45
Does this mean the closure of the Harrier OCU? Or is it a number plate change?

teeteringhead
26th Feb 2010, 14:55
they must be fairly well up the list on the basis of years of service.... unfortunately T-T-B, time spent as an (R) Sqn does not accrue seniority ..... :(

TrickyTree
26th Feb 2010, 16:04
Does this mean the closure of the Harrier OCU? Or is it a number plate change?
From what I saw on the intranet last night it is a numberplate change - I suspect it will actually be IV(AC) Sqn that disbands, with 20(R) re-badging as IV(R) Sqn. I could be wrong though.

I've spent around a third of my career in the old leapin' heap and am now plying my technical skills on something considerably faster and pointier. However, there was a sense of despair amongst all my ex-Harrier chums at work last night. This is clearly the beginning of the end for the Harrier Force and it is so, so sad :{

Still - they can take our Air Force away, but the memories are ours forever :ok:

whowhenwhy
26th Feb 2010, 16:20
I remember when 20 (R) Sqn was 233 OCU, which is, I believe, where the black cat's head came from on 20's cabs???

TrickyTree
26th Feb 2010, 16:38
"Ymlaen".

It is a Welsh wildcat, as I recall. I served on 233 OCU for a brief period, as well as 1(F) Sqn, IV(AC) Sqn and 20(R) Sqn.

Halcyon days....:)

NutherA2
26th Feb 2010, 21:58
My conversion to the Hunter (F1) was with 233 OCU at Pembrey in 1956; anyone got a spare unit tie?