PDA

View Full Version : Aeros over the lake in Canberra today

bluesky300
24th Feb 2010, 23:57
Anyone know what the occasion was? Lovely flying.

goin'flyin
25th Feb 2010, 09:35
I wasn't there today, but I believe there was meant to be an air display by the visiting Pilatus PC21 in Canberra today.

Was it a little 'red rocket'?

If so, it was being piloted by the Pilatus factory pilots. He does do a good routine. They are on a demo tour through Australia for the next few weeks.

bluesky300
25th Feb 2010, 09:52
That's the one. Fantastic looking aeroplane and it was just about the most elegant solo display I have seen done over the lake.

sparcap
25th Feb 2010, 10:27
Any word on display dates and locations?:ok:

Dave Incognito
26th Feb 2010, 00:09
It was doing bog laps of the Sydney opera house and the bridge on saturday afternoon. A helicopter was following it around on what looked like a promo shoot. No aeros though...

VH-XXX
26th Feb 2010, 01:23
I spotted a lone red PC at Canberra yesterday and wondered what it was up to, it was parked outside the KRUDD737 and Falcon Presidential Hangar.

goin'flyin
26th Feb 2010, 01:39
I think from memory, should be in Point Cook today.

It will be doing a display at the moto gp at Phillip Is.

Visiting military bases across Oz over the next few weeks with displays at most locations.

If i find out anything further i'll post it up.

Cookie7
26th Feb 2010, 09:11
Will these same a/c be making an appearance at the Grand PRICKS (Prix)?

Arnold E
26th Feb 2010, 09:16
Are sure it wasn't an RV?:}

VH-XXX
27th Feb 2010, 01:38
I thought that was blatantly obvious!

As long as they don't do what that attack helicopter contender did a few years back!

For those that don't remember, it only made it some if the way through it's marketing campaign and finished the rest of it's tour in small pieces after it fatally came to grief around a day or two after also doing Sydney harbour.

DBTW
27th Feb 2010, 07:05
The PC21 display is great! Good luck to the Pilatus folk!

Having said that, I wonder why the ADF is so interested in getting a "jet like handling" turbo-prop aircraft to replace the PC9? The PC9, of course, was originally bought to replace the CT4, and only finished up replacing the Macchi in the AFT role because somebody said it would do the job. And yet the RAAF still had to keep the Macchi (and replace it with the Hawk) for lead in fighter training, and then they also brought back the CT4 to reduce the cost of attriting basic students on an "expensive" turbo-prop!

Sounds like turbo-prop "jet like handling" characteristics are of no consequence and all they did was introduce an additional type into the training pipeline!

If they really want jet like handling characteristics in a trainer, why don't they go for a jet? Maybe even use a cheap piston for the elementary/basic stuff and then a jet for the advanced stuff. That sounds like a formula which works quite well...and it has been proven succesful before:ok:

Chronic Snoozer
4th Apr 2010, 04:04
Simple - turboprops are less expensive!

DBTW
4th Apr 2010, 05:36
Can you back that with facts, CS? Nice thought, but not convincing when an extra level of training is introduced, and the air force will always want a lead in fighter...jet.