PDA

View Full Version : Requirements for crossing the Irish Sea.

tu154
24th Feb 2010, 20:36
Have heard a few anecdotes from pilots saying the IAA are now requiring floats to be fitted to helicopters crossing the Irish sea. In particular one pilot was berated for not having same by an IAA Ops inspector. A number of us have searched the regs and can't find any reference to it. The suspicion is that the proposed european or ICAO legislation re floats beyond a certain distance from land has been adopted, but as I said, I have looked and can't find anything that notifies it is now the case.

Has anyone seen anything formally on this, or point me to the relevant documentation.

norunway
24th Feb 2010, 21:12
It is an SI and refers to Irish registered helicopters.

chopjock
24th Feb 2010, 21:47
I found the Idiots Against Aviation are actually worse the the Campaign. In future, when ever I fly across the Irish sea I shall go out of my way to remain clear of Irish aerodromes. That way you don't risk a ramp check.:)

bolkow
24th Feb 2010, 23:08
I'd say go when the wind is howling to pembroke to co-incide with the Irish ferries departure there.
They have a heli-pad on the rear deck and if the wind or weather is bad hopefully passengers will not notice you landing there, or the crew. When you reach tuskar rock begin the start up procedures and you're only a few miles from Rosslare.
On a serious note I am long finished flying, used to take the odd bolkow back and forwards but they were offshore and twin engined. Back in those days you'd sometimes pass the odd non float equipped jet ranger out there in St Georges channel. I honestly dont know what the regs are nowadays but I am sure many of those R22's and r44's parked up there because fo the recession did'nt go by ferry? I'd enquire of operators there who have them, at least the relatively recent imports might be able to advise?