PDA

View Full Version : Why are helicopters so expensive to charter?

tartare
24th Feb 2010, 18:43
As a humble fixed wing PPL, wonder if any of you can answer a long pondered question?
A gas turbine light helicopter is on average at least 10 times as expensive to charter (wet hire) as a piston engined light single fixed wing.
Where does the bulk of the overhead fall?
I assume it's not wages!
It's definitely not fuel.
Have always assumed it's the cost of deferred maintenance and the expense of components like rotor blades, or deferred overhaul cost of the turbine itself?
Why aren't they cheaper?
And will macines like the R66 make any difference....?

paco
24th Feb 2010, 18:47
Try also insurance and the outrageous charges for an AOC. You probably need about a third of the hourly cost for maintenance and replenishment (most people spend it). And you are comparing turbine with piston.

Last I heard, the average profit margin was anywhere between 5-10% for light charter. Not a lot, really.

Phil

manfromuncle
24th Feb 2010, 19:06
Helicopters cost a lot more to insure (they crash more), and for maintenance/parts, as there are less around. Look how expensive an alternator for a Lancia car will cost you, compared to an alternator for a Ford.

EN48
24th Feb 2010, 19:45
A gas turbine light helicopter is on average at least 10 times as expensive to charter (wet hire) as a piston engined light single fixed wing.

Well.... what would you expect of such a comparision? A more appropriate comparison might be with an R22 - about $230 (U.S.) per hour (dual) in these parts. Last I looked a light piston single (C152) was in the $130 - $150 range per hour dual - not such a big difference. Bell 206 about $950 - $1100 per hour; single engine turboprop (Piper Meridian/Pilatus PC12) about $900 - $1450.

biggles99
24th Feb 2010, 21:22
Phil is correct.

The capital cost of the helicopter is so much higher than the capital cost of an aeroplane.

Hence the standing overheads are proportionally and significantly higher.

Then the facts of low utilisation and high maintenance costs ensure that it has to be expensive to charter.

Also, the cruise speed in a 4/6 seat helicopter is (typically) MUCH slower than a 4 or 6 seater aeroplane, so the cost per mile is exponentially higher in a rotary.

And after all that, you've got the agents commission and the operators profit.

Usually the agent is the one that makes the money!

(and no, I'm not one.....)

Big Ls

birrddog
24th Feb 2010, 21:42
What I do find interesting though, is the higher availability of aircraft and lower prices of light turbines in England and South Africa compared to the USA where they are made, and who don't have the currency fluctuations.

I can hire a 407 for half the price in SA for example compared to the US, and in England 206's are available probably 20% less (roughly based on my investigations) than the US. Similar experiences for other types..

My take on the situation is there are more privately held aircraft in England and South Africa, or aircraft in between contracts, and the additional utilization is a "bonus", so they can afford to offer them for lower rates.

The insurance requirements for pilot experience also tends to be more in line with what a SFH pilot would have, compared to the US, home of big insurance and law suits.

(SA would also have lower labour, hangarage, etc, though that does not explain England, nor the large difference in pricing).

I have also found you tend to be able to use the aircraft for longer periods abroad, than compared to here (e.g. take it away for a few days), making it much more practical than burning money in a circuit or local area flight where the aircraft has to be ferried back and forth when you are not using it (adding to the flight hours billed).

Whirlygig
24th Feb 2010, 22:59
and in England 206's are available probably 20% lessYou are joshing aren't you? :} Possibly any UK prices you saw were quoted before sales tax at 17.5% for a start and then there's landing fees ....

My experience last year was that a Jet Ranger cost me £445 an hour in the States compared with £635 at my local school.

Not a mega-saving admittedly but still ... it'd be rude not to. :ok:

Cheers

Whirls

bolkow
24th Feb 2010, 23:12
I'd concur with whirly. £635 sounds about right for the 206 in the UK

Hedge36
25th Feb 2010, 00:06
Jeebus. I remember renting a B206 from ERA in high school for about $600US per hour. Somehow I knew better than to shop rates these days.

EN48
25th Feb 2010, 00:51
The capital cost of the helicopter is so much higher than the capital cost of an aeroplane.

Well ... maybe not for relatively comparable acft:
New C172SP about $305,000 (U.S.)
New R44 about $425,000

Yes, more for the helicopter, but not "so much higher."

Also, the cruise speed in a 4/6 seat helicopter is (typically) MUCH slower than a 4 or 6 seater aeroplane,

Well ... maybe not for relatively comparable aircraft:

C172SP about 126 kts
R44 about 117 kts

birrddog
25th Feb 2010, 01:52
The cheapest Jet Ranger I have found here is ~ $900-1100/hr (GBP #585-#715)

Whirlygig
25th Feb 2010, 06:31
Ouch Birddog, you don't think they can see you coming? :ouch: :} August last year, $1,190 for 1 hour 45 minutes in Washington State. Plus a lovely instructor ....:ok:

Cheers

Whirls

topendtorque
25th Feb 2010, 11:05

?

Well, them wing thaings on them aeroplanes don't turn round.

Plus a lovely instructor

there y'go?

kevin_mayes
25th Feb 2010, 11:11
...and landing in the pub back garden is Priceless.
Kev.

Jarvy
25th Feb 2010, 12:56
Cost of a 206 around these parts(NE US) is $900 hour and I can get it cheaper in the UK at a number of places.

Hughes500
25th Feb 2010, 13:32
You should be able to get a self fly hire 206 or 500 for £ 475 an hour wet plus vat and thats before any discount in the UK

sarboy w****r
25th Feb 2010, 14:08
If you are paying much more than £500 wet (excluding VAT) for a 206 then someone is taking you for a ride.

FLY 7
25th Feb 2010, 19:38
Helicopters are expensive, but there again their abilities are unique.

They cost more to build and maintain, but once you have savoured the flexibility and thrill of helicopter travel, they are worth it. Best to compare helicopter costs with small business aircraft, not light singles.

I own helicopters, so well aware of the costs, but have also chartered them and find big differences in what people charge. And, some companies that offer charter, prefer to make their money elsewhere and charge accordingly.

MikeNYC
25th Feb 2010, 20:15
I recently got a quote from a Japanese operator charging about $3,500USD/hr (inc pilot) for an AS355 charter, for aerial photography. Unreal...that's close to double what some US operators charge. For that hourly rate, you can almost charter a Dauphin in the US.

nigelh
25th Feb 2010, 22:57
i think some people are getting confused here !! There is a great difference between what a helicopter costs on say SFH and what it would cost to charter . Yes i could get a 206 for around £400 an hour wet but by the time it comes out of an aoc company they will be losing money at £500 an hour WITHOUT pilot . If you lease an aircraft from me it will be significantly cheaper than if it goes out as a charter ..this is due to the nonsense made up by the CAA to try to justify their existence ( and after all of that you will find that the flight cannot happen due to the lawn not being the size of a football pitch so not suitable for a single ...) As an example an Enstrom 480 Turbine will cost around £300 per hr wet to the owner , (maybe £350 sfh ) which i think is good value against any turbine fixed wing !!!
In my experience the USA has always been cheaper than the UK .

Heli-Ice
26th Feb 2010, 00:43
Can any of you tell me where in the world I could rent an AS350B3 at £500/hr with a mechanic and field maintenance included?

I heard the other day that this was possible?

Gomer Pylot
26th Feb 2010, 02:47
The comparison between a light fixed-wing and a turbine helicopter is totally bogus. A Cessna can be operated pretty much forever, as-is. On a helicopter, all the moving parts have to be replaced on a regular basis. The TT straps have to be replaced every 24 months, no matter what. Has the OP ever priced a set of TT straps, and the cost of replacing them every 24 months, forever? Or the cost of replacing the main and tail rotor blades on a regular basis? A helicopter isn't so much a capital investment as a money pit, requiring regular infusions of large amounts of cash. Any sane owner has to charge a very high rate just to break even.

Glenn0 C
26th Feb 2010, 11:35
How do you calculate that the costs are 10 time greater, that seems a bit extreme. Can you give a comparison on types and prices quoted. Just interested to see how you get to this big difference.

Regards

Whirlygig
26th Feb 2010, 12:24
Because like has not been compared with like ...

The original example was for a single piston plank which in the UK could be about £130 an hour and a gas turbine light helicopter. If the turbine helicopter costs used by the OP in his/her comparison were an Agusta 109, then 10 times would make sense!!

Cheers

Whirls

nigelh
26th Feb 2010, 19:22
Gomer TT straps is not a good example as it is only the 206 that has the 24 month life .
There is no way you could get a B3 for £500 , i used to let me BA out for £600 without pilot etc and that was v cheap !!!

Glenn0 C
2nd Mar 2010, 08:20
That makes sense, Like for Like would be a much lower differential.

At the end of the day the Charter operator has to make a margin, if you dont make a profit then you dont stay in business for long. Any operator will know that you first have to pay for the aircraft (DOC), maybe that price includes the insurance, maybe not, that depends on who owns it and whether the owner insures it or it is insured through the operators insurance scheme. You then need to put fuel in it and pay a pilot to fly it.

JetRanger costs per flying hour: Say £300/£350 inc insurance for the hire/owner. Fuel (depends where you buy it) lets say for the sake of argument £90.00 per hour. Pilot, allow £60.00 (maybe a Day Rate will be applied subject to the task being undertaken). Allow for AOC charges and admin say £50.00 per hour. You are up to £500/550 per hour for the charter and that is before the operator puts a profit margin into the equation. Thus most JetRanger operators will be quoting based on between £550 & £650 per hour.

If you took the above and the figure quoted of £130.00 per hour for the fixed wing then at the top of the priricing band you are about 5 times more expensive. You then have to consider the versatility offered by the Helicopter, very often Point to Point and if not then generally at least a lot closer than the airfield required by the fixed wing. In general I do not think you can fairly draw a comparison between the two forms of flying.

The above is really just irrelevant number crunching. What it actually comes down to is that Helicopters are a lot more expensive to Maintain, Insure and Operate.

Well thats my thoughts anyway.:8

Heli-Ice
3rd Mar 2010, 14:06
nigelh

Thank you for this. I guess the rumour was just that.

thwock
11th Mar 2010, 10:16
AOC Charges:
2012/13 £29,360.00
2011/12 £22,020.00
2010/11 £17,616.00
2009/10 £14,610.00
2008/09 £11,664.00
2007/08 £ 1,524.00
2006/07 £ 1,572.60
2005/06 £ 1,068.00
2004/05 £ 1,068.00

Not bad is it, worst recession ever, sterling badly devalued (all spares up 30%)
But hey we can increase your fees by 2,649% over 8 years.
:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Brilliant Stuff
11th Mar 2010, 10:21
One CAA inspector mentioned recently that the CAA have been very busy cutting down the running cost.
From a workforce of 7000 people a few years back they are now down to 1000 people.

That should make you feel warm and fuzzy surely.