PDA

View Full Version : Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen Airport

andrew1968
24th Feb 2010, 13:13
Don't know if this is the right place to post this but,

I am flying to Istanbul with easjet in august from LGW and then transferring to Pegasus Airlines for a domestic flight to Izmir.

Never flown into Istanbul Sabiha airport before, so my questions are regarding Transit from International Flight to Domestic

Q. I am flying with both hand/hold luggage will I have to collect luggage in baggage reclaim, out through arrivals and then go to departures for my internal flight.

Q. Is there a transit facilty at the airport, and can someone explain how it works. I have never used a transit facility before always flown point to point.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Capot
24th Feb 2010, 16:16
It's a pretty easy walk from one to t'other.

champair79
24th Feb 2010, 19:35
Hi Andrew,

I've flown almost exactly the same route over the Xmas period except I flew to Luton with Easyjet rather than LGW.

With regards to transferring, just go to baggage reclaim, collect your luggage, then follow the signs to departures and check in with the domestic airline (I assume Pegasus). Since you are transiting with 2 different airlines, you have to collect and re-check in. It's no hassle though as the whole process is under cover.

Finally, Sabiha Gokcen is one of the nicest airports I've been to. It's all brand new and not too busy. Certainly, compared to Ataturk, there is no comparison.

Have a safe trip. Any problems, PM me.

Regards, Champ

P.S I'm living in Izmir

andrew1968
24th Feb 2010, 22:13
Champ,

Thanks for the info, most helpful. Should be an interesting trip, 4 adults and 4 kids flying down to Izmir and then a drive further south towards Altinkum.

Looked at flying direct to Bodrum, flights about £450 dearer and arrival into Bodrum around 2200, not good with kids.

Thanks, again.

Andrew

champair79
25th Feb 2010, 08:59
No problem Andrew. I presume you didn't book BA direct from Gatwick to Izmir for the same reason - price!

Have a good trip. Hope the kids don't drive you mad.

Regards,

Champ

andrew1968
25th Feb 2010, 15:02
Hi Champ,

Yeah looked at BA timings were very bad i.e early hours of the morning arrival and departure home. Price was nearly double what I have paid for easy/pegasus.

I sure the kids will be fine, they love flying. They have been flying since they were babies and they completed a longhaul to Calgary last year with no issues. :ok:

How long have you been living in Izmir?

Take care,

Andrew

champair79
25th Feb 2010, 21:02
Hi Andrew,

Are you sure about the BA flights? BA fly LGW-ADB on Saturday (arrives approximately 16:45) and Sunday (13:50) with the departure back to London an hour or so after. As you say though, the price could be an issue although my friend flew ADB-MAN via LGW all on BA for £107 one-way. Still, I can vouch for Pegasus and Easyjet. I paid £80 return to Luton from Izmir and that included the 2 Pegasus flights and 2 Easyjet flights. Too cheap really. Still I'm not complaining.

I've lived in Izmir since September last year. I'm on an Erasmus program here. I'm scheduled to stay here until July time although it might change as I have some potential jobs lined up in the UK.

Take care,

Champ :ok:

andrew1968
25th Feb 2010, 21:57
Champ,

I thought I had missed something then when you mentioned the BA flight times. Just checked the BA website and the flights are Sat ex LGW 22.05 arr ADB 03.50, return flight is Sun ex ADB 04.50 arr LGW 06.55. Pretty awful times. It's a shame ezy don't fly to Istanbul or Izmir from BRS as I only live 40mins away, but never mind.

Good luck on the job front.

Cheers,

Andrew

champair79
26th Feb 2010, 11:34
Ah right, I didn't know that. They must change the times for the summer timetable then, that's all I can think of. Yes it's a shame there aren't more options to the UK from Izmir - especially in the winter. In the summer, I'm sorted with Thomas Cook but winter it means either going with BA, Lufthansa or transiting Istanbul. If you live in Germany, there is no problem - lots of options all year round!

Regards,

Champ