PDA

View Full Version : Emigrating to Oz, do I join the RAAF??

Bubblewindow
24th Feb 2010, 11:26
Hi all,
Been a long while since I posted on here. Im looking for some advice on the RAAF. My missus and me are almost certainly moving to Australia in two years time and preferably to NSW as we have family there and wish to be relatively close to them.

Having served 19 years with the Irish Air Corps, 14 as a tech/ground crew on various aircraft and the past 5 as a photographer (flying maritime patrols as well as other flying duties and ground work), I will be 39 yrs old in two years time when Im eligble to be pensioned off.
I was looking at several options with regards to employment in Oz.
1. Airforce, 2. NSW Police, 3. Customs. 4. Whatever I can get!!!!

R.E: RAAF, does anybody know if 39 is too old to start? (45 is the cutoff according to the website but Im being realistic!). Whats the chance of being posted in NSW seen as this is where my family want to settle?? Do I have to go through recruits again?? (N.B: We, the Irish Defence Forces use the same rifle as the ADF!).

Anyhoo, I know all the "Official" answers but just thought Id put this out there to see if anybody is in the know.

Cheers,
Pat.

Two-Tone-Blue
24th Feb 2010, 16:46
Do you have an Oz Attache in the ROI?
Have you contacted the Oz Embassy in UK?
Have you contacted the RAAF?

The Web isn't the answer to everything, mate! :)

Siggie
24th Feb 2010, 20:33
From personal experience - 39 isn't too old, but I don't think they're hiring in our mustering at the moment. Please feel free to PM me for more info.

ian16th
24th Feb 2010, 20:36
There may be an Oz Embassy in Dublin, but not in London!

Commonwealth countries have 'High Commissions' in other Commonwealth countries.

Air Attaché's in Embassies become Air Advisors in High Commissions.

vecvechookattack
24th Feb 2010, 20:49
Why not try this

HMAS Albatross - Royal Australian Navy (http://www.navy.gov.au/HMAS_Albatross)

Bubblewindow
24th Feb 2010, 21:17
Hi two-tone blue,
RE: The Web. Ive contacted the embassy here in Dublin who put me through to london who redirected me back to the web. So this is where I hit a brick wall and the reason i posted on here to get some first hand info. The NSW police were the same , all avenues seem to lead back to websites.

Thanks for the PM's and replies guys,

Pat.

Ginger Beer
25th Feb 2010, 07:36
Bubble,

I realise you are looking 2 years away however, don't ignore exchange rates too. The Oz Police Forces are struggling to recruit Brits at the moment as we can't afford to make the move.

The current AUD/GBP exchange rate is 1.7 to 1. This is against an average of 2.35 traditionally and a high in excess of 3.0 to 1.

Just supposing you had amassed a couple of hundred K in property equity, savings and gratuity, this would be the difference between having $340kAUD or $470k to take over. In fact within the last 15 months the rate peaked at 2.7 so that's $540k to lay the foundations of your new life downunder.

Obviously you are in Ireland and not UK but take a word of advice to maximise the benefit of exchanging your dosh.

I am personnally putting on hold my move as Oz is far from "cheap" nowadays. It just doesn't make sense to move over and realise nearly half to a third less than you potentially could have.

Check out the historical exchange rates for Euro/AUD and plan to purchase at a favourable rate before you go. Take advice from e.g. HiFX. I'm in the RAF and don't work for them, btw.

Hope this is of use.

Regards

Ginge

Yeller_Gait
25th Feb 2010, 09:21
Bubble,

Check the defencejobs.gov.au website for information on joining any of the Aus forces.

Generally, in order to get sponsored by the ADF you need to be serving in the military. If they will not sponsor you, you can apply to join once you are in Australia, and obviously previous military service will help, but there are no guarantees.

This year there are significantly fewer people leaving the ADF, and promotion and recruitment is lower too. Perhaps over the next year or two things will turn for better as Australia is a good financial position and economic recovery is well underway, compared to many other countries anyway :ok:

Y_G