PDA

View Full Version : Persian/Arabian Gulf-Give Me An IKA Flight Merged

emratty
22nd Feb 2010, 10:11
Will this mean we will not fly to Tehran!!
BBC News - Iran to ban airlines not using the term 'Persian Gulf' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8527729.stm)

loc22550
22nd Feb 2010, 10:58
Nothing new...There was already an issue a few years ago in Qatar Airways after a captain used the word "Arabian gulf" During his P.A...
But as far as i known we are still flying to IKA and flights have never been suspended...

Ion-athan
22nd Feb 2010, 22:41
I stand together with Iran on this matter..... even though their minister of foreign affairs is doing it for the wrong reasons.

Pretty soon everyone will call it Arabian Gulf and no one will remember it's true name that has been documented for hundreds of years.

But what you expect from the Brits and the Americans. We have seen it before we are seeing it again. They draw the borders they call the names.

They Divide and they Rule. Look at Kashmir (Pakistan/India), Cyprus(Cypriot/Turks), Yugoslavia(Initially they agreed on putting all these ethnics together now they supporting only the ones that have interest out of them) Iraq(Again we see it, ethnicities put together with no common background and we see the mess after the war), Palestine/Israel( I don't even want to start on that one) and the list goes on.

Let all the people live in peace and maybe we can get out of this mess with least of harm.

GoreTex
23rd Feb 2010, 06:22
7DAYS - Airlines held to ransom (http://www.7days.ae/storydetails.php?id=90995&title=Airlines%20held%20to%20ransom)

would love to have an IKA flight and fully comply with the FOM and call it arabian gulf

BigGeordie
23rd Feb 2010, 07:00
I see the Qatar TV adverts refer to it as "The Gulf" which seems like a pretty good comprimise.

White Knight
23rd Feb 2010, 07:34
Yugoslavia - try Tito under Stalin's big stick
Cyprus - try the Turks invading a sovereign nation in 1974

Leito
23rd Feb 2010, 09:16
I just noticed that Google Earth has both names Persian Gulf and Arabian Gulf.

On EK the Airshow has the name of " The Gulf ", maybe that's a way to play it safe?, it will be interesting to see how this develops.

Dubaian
23rd Feb 2010, 09:23
Another more active thread on this in Jetblast forum - have a look in there.

OMDB-PiLoT
23rd Feb 2010, 09:30
I was always taught about the Persian Gulf in school. When did this Arabian Gulf come into existence?? :mad:

Ion-athan
23rd Feb 2010, 21:13
White Knight do you think the Turks invaded without US green light? The CIA files to this matter opened just few years ago. The brits owing a piece of land in Cyprus "Akrotiri" they did nothing to help.

As far as Yugoslavia is concern the country was formed by king Alexander 1 after War World 1 a movement supported by the allies in order to get extra members on their side, even though they knew that these members forming Yugoslavia one day will want their indipendent. Tito came into the scene much later 1948 while the country was allready formed. And don't forget that he rulled like that beeing the US marshal in the region. And not to forget Henri Kisssingers statement conserning the Balkans "These nations are a pottential threat to the allies when united. These nations are hard to rule. For this reason we must strike deep into their cultural roots: perhaps then we can force them to conform. I mean, of course, to strike at their language, their religion, their cultural and historical reserves, so that we can neutralize their ability to develop, to distinguish themselves, or to prevail; thereby removing them as an obstacle to our strategically vital plans in the Balkans, the Mediterranean, and the Middle East."

loc22550
24th Feb 2010, 02:37
Ion Athan..no need to try to hijack this thread with the standard brain wash that everythink is the fault of brits.American..or whatever..:confused:

Ion-athan
24th Feb 2010, 06:08
Loc22550 don't get me wrong here I did not say that everything it's their fault but I just pointed out few of their what so called "we want to help the weak" or "in the fight against terror" or "we want to free the people from the dictator regime" or "we came to for the rescue" etc etc etc etc.

Just take your local newspaper and count how many times the word "terror" is there. Count how many times the word "crisis" is there. This is brainwash my friend. You know in the fundamental of advertising is repetition of the product. It will get to you soon or later. They are using this fundmental not only US and UK but also Iran Israel Europe EVERYBODY!!!!!!

So please don't tell I have been brainwashed

a747jb
24th Feb 2010, 11:50
Hey Ion, please know that the vast majority of Americans will refer to the gulf as the Persian Gulf. Is it right or wrong, who knows, who cares, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just please next time you post something about the US, know your facts. We take enough slamming (and probably rightfully so) on things as it is. Therefor, when you post something wrong, I must stand up for my country. Please know that I am ONLY disputing with you what the common term in the US for this body of water is, nothing else. For proof, please refer to any news article or tv telecast from either gulf war and listen to what they call it. My personal preference, "The Gulf" It gives preference to nobody's opinion.

Ion-athan
24th Feb 2010, 13:02
a747jp I have nothing against American people. I have something though with governments who interfere anywhere in the name of god knows who in order to get what they want. I have a problem with governments that are corrupted, dictating their people in the name of religion and the list goes on.
Concerning the name of the Persian Gulf it maybe not important for you but it is important for them and I agree with you that when I was in the States studing during the first invation 1991 it's true you guys used to call it Persian Gulf. But we have 2010 and the name is in dispute. I gurantee you by 2020 the name will be simply the GULF. And the Iranians will be the only people calling it Persian Gulf. I have seen this before. Your kid or your grandchild will know it as just the Gulf. Your government will forget what is right or what historicaly used to be called when the Saudis the Emiratis and the rest of the Arabs threaten you that they will go away from the dollar if you don't call it the GULF.
Unfortunately that's they it is my friend. I Assure if my country was in power they will do exactly the same. Nothing different.

a747jb
24th Feb 2010, 18:01
Hey Ion, Thanks for the reply and respectful response. I know you weren't aiming anything at the american people. I was simply pointing out the name. As I hope others will do, I must respect your opinion, I just wanted to say the at the current moment, most back in the States still think of it as the Persian Gulf. I can't speak for our government, only the average person. I know I have very little knowledge of the history behind the name, and most in the States know 0 about it, I just wanted to point out that in this particular case, my opinion is that the US has had very little to do with the name conflict.

Fromagio
25th Feb 2010, 13:40
Since when did the iranians own the gulf? Who are they to dictate what other countries call it? As always the iranian government proves itself to be arrogant and out of touch, just ask the members of the green movement.
Ion-athan (http://www.pprune.org/members/307175-ion-athan), you mention how the US and British governments interfere and use divide and conquer as a way of ruling over other states but isn't that exactly what the iranians are trying to do in Iraq at the cost of how many lives?
Governments are as bad as each other the world over so please dont try to defend iran's attempt to power play in the gulf region. I don't appreciate some fanatical mullah trying to tell me what I should call something.

Ion-athan
26th Feb 2010, 11:26
Hey guys relax.... I think you did not understand my posts.... or maybe you understand what ever you wanted to understand.

Please read again and you will find out where i stand.

And by the way if any one can tell me otherwise of what have mentioned on my previous posts please do so rather than just telling me off.

togaluck
13th Mar 2010, 17:49
As a friend of mine suggested, they should rename the gulf
the Coalition Gulf!

They pretty much own it.

Alvand
15th Mar 2010, 04:45
Jesus Guys.......WTFO....arbitrarily designating the Persian Gulf as the Arabian Gulf is an irresponsible violation of all historical and International standards and would undermine the integrity of Google Earth or any education system you guys proudly graduated from...

For the records, the name Persia has always been used to describe the nation of Iran, its people, and its ancient empires since 600 BC. It is derived from the ancient Greek name for Iran's maritime province, called Fars or Pars in modern Persian, Pars in Middle Persian and Pârsa in Old Persian, a word meaning "above reproach.” Persis is the Hellenized form of Pars, and through the Latinized word Persia, the other European nations came to use this word for the region. This area was the core of the original Persian Empire.

Since ancient times almost all foreigners referred to the entire country as Persia until March 21, 1935, when Reza Shah Pahlavi formally asked the international community to call the country Iran — a name that the people of Persia, themselves, used to refer to their country since the Sassanian period. "Iran" means "Land of Aryans". In 1959 some Persian scholars protested to the government that the name change had separated the country from its ancient civilization. Therefore, the late King Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi announced that both Persia and Iran can be used in Western languages.

Without disparaging the Arabs, Iranians are proud of their non-Arab heritage ( Aryan to be exact..) and strongly resent any attempt at denigrating or changing any aspect of their Iranian heritage. And the Persian Gulf occupies a pivotal place in the Iranian history and culture. Furthermore, Iran abuts the Persian Gulf for 2,000 Km, while about a dozen recently-created Arab Sheikhdoms and emirates border the Gulf on the other side.

The historical and geographical name of the Persian Gulf has been endorsed and clarified by the United Nations on many occasions and is in use by the UN, its member states, and all other international agencies worldwide. The last UN Directive confirming the name of the Persian Gulf was (reference ST/CS/SER.A/29/Add.2) on August, 18th 1994.

Call their bluff when, Arab management hide behind air crew and use "YOU" to spread crap around for them...

nolimitholdem
15th Mar 2010, 09:06
The Middle East is DEFINED by both inferiority complex: "We need to prove we're as good or better", hence all of the monuments to ego; and persecution complex: "We didn't do anything wrong, we're victims, it's all the fault of the Jews/Americans/Iranians/other Arabs/etc etc etc", hence a complete lack of personal responsibility or ownership of problems.

And so the cycles repeat endlessly.

QatarA340
15th Mar 2010, 09:11
The Iranians are really on crack this time. It is already a shame that the government annihilated its people in its recent presidental sham elections, its relegious intolerance, its nuclear activities, and deteriorating economic situation. To add salt to its wounds, it is acting like a 5 year old fat kid being teasted for calling him fat.

Down south we call it the Arabian Gulf, up North they call it Persian Gulf. Whatever! National pride, blah blah blah... The Iranians (govenment) can shove their national pride where the sun dont shine, cause it won't help them survive.

Alvand
17th Mar 2010, 04:35
Yeah....like I said...No BALLS in you guys to say the right.

Fromagio
17th Mar 2010, 08:19
Well I'm going to continue to call it the Arabian Gulf. I really dont give a sh!t if I upset those iranian fanatics. I would have thought that they would have more pressing issues to worry about like sanctions, civil unrest and getting the crap bombed out of them.

Jetjock330
17th Mar 2010, 13:39
It's official with the National Airline of the UAE today with a new Flight Bulletin. It is to be called the Arabian Gulf on the PA and nothing else will do!!!!!!!!!!!

So we will all see one another in Tehran permanently one day!

Khaosai
19th Mar 2010, 05:47
Hi,

i will continue to refer pax to the route map thus avoiding a potential long layover in Tehran.

Rgds.