PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth WAC charts?

jsmitty01
21st Feb 2010, 19:26
Does anyone know of a company that can print out a 1:1,000,000 WAC chart scale of Google Earth?

Been Accounting
21st Feb 2010, 19:46
You will immediately hit copyright issues with this one.

Look at the small print associated with Google Earth. Only the Pro version is intended to be used for commercial usage. The number of copies will be a key issue.

If it is a one off for personal use then a private copy is probably ok. Is your problem one of setting the scale? If you PM with a location I could create you a KML file that in theory should give you the scale you want. Once you have this you could do your own printing!

grade-3
22nd Feb 2010, 01:03
Hi,

I'm not sure from the context of your post whether you're intending to use the printout in-flight, but, if so, you might need to think about the data and method used to produce WAC charts vs. Google Maps.

For instance, does Google Maps use the WGS84 coordinate system, are it's spot heights and contour information accurate and reliable, does it provide accurate magnetic variation information, does a print out of Google Maps allow you measure an accurate rhumb-line track without distortion?

Again, not saying not to do it, just have a think about what Google Maps gives you versus a WAC chart that was designed for aviation if you're going to use them for flight-planning or in-flight (would look great framed and mounted on the wall though :ok:)

Regards,

Grade 3

MCKES
22nd Feb 2010, 03:24
what i want someone to be able to do with a WAC is print out area frequency boundaries, and restricted areas on it, It shouldnt be that hard for someone to do. At the moment everyone I know laminates their WAC's and for each flight draws on the boundaries and restricted areas.

Howard Hughes
22nd Feb 2010, 04:18
Many years ago I put all the Control area boundaries and restricted areas on a WAC chart. Went to do a flight test and was told I could not do the test with that chart (read: fail! :eek:).:* This was despite the fact that I also had VTC's, VEC's (yes it was a long time ago) and ERC's in my bag...:{

MCKES
22nd Feb 2010, 04:28
It is just being efficient, It is too much to have all CTA on it but just radio boundaries, and restricted areas is what you need.

CaptWEJohns
22nd Feb 2010, 06:06
Try this link MapTrax Digital Mapping (http://www.maptrax.com.au/)

CaptWEJohns
22nd Feb 2010, 06:13
Sorry they only do CASA charts.
Some American electronic software packages feature electronic WAC's but can't find any for Aus.

sprocket check
22nd Feb 2010, 08:08
You can buy ALL the AA charts on one disc for $395 as geo-referenced files.

Then you'll just need to convert them to TIF or similar for overlay on GE.

sc

Biggles_in_Oz
22nd Feb 2010, 08:29
If you are really masochistic, you could try reading the ASA Designated Airspace Handbook and then plot what you need on your 'WAC'.

I prefer to use the ERCs' and if I really want specific VFR waypoints, then I'll put them on the appropriate ERC.

jsmitty01
23rd Feb 2010, 23:29
Im flying in a country where you cannot get topographical maps (other than tourist ones!) and am happy to pay for a commercial print out of Google Earth or whatever.

Biggles_in_Oz
24th Feb 2010, 08:14
You can't buy WACs' for where you are ? !
yerrrk.., I'm not sure I'd feel safe flying in such a place <g>

How about Aeronautical maps from Omnimap, the world's leading map store. (http://www.omnimap.com/catalog/int/onc-list.htm#p1)

triadic
24th Feb 2010, 13:38
You can't buy WACs' for where you are ? !

Try to obtain WACs for PNG! All got a bit hard sometime back and the plates were destroyed!!
Copies of copies is what many use there now..... (someone else might know the full story...):ugh:

If you want WACs on your PC then purchase a flight planning program called AirNav VFR... has all the charts; WAC, ERC, VTC, VNC etc. Flight planning part is not as good as Champagne but the maps are good and u can print out. Also if you put a track on one map, it appears on any other chart covering the same area. Will also place 10nm or 10min marks on track lines. :ok:

compressor stall
24th Feb 2010, 23:11
Biggles - there are many places in the world with no wac charts.

Biggles_in_Oz
25th Feb 2010, 10:09
Astounding ...
I did not know that in this day and age, WACs (or decent topo charts), are not available for the entire habitable globe.

compressor stall
25th Feb 2010, 23:45
It's true. But don't forget that there are air ops in the non-habitable bits too. :cool:

remoak
22nd Sep 2010, 11:31
Use the "ruler" function (in "Tools").

Sunfish
22nd Sep 2010, 22:23
what i want someone to be able to do with a WAC is print out area frequency boundaries, and restricted areas on it, It shouldnt be that hard for someone to do. At the moment everyone I know laminates their WAC's and for each flight draws on the boundaries and restricted areas.

Someone tried having that printed up around 1990 for sale....and immediately ran into copyright restrictions and God knows what else.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
22nd Sep 2010, 23:42
When the printing of those details on to WACs was proposed by a lowly FSO 'many years ago' he was promptly told that these details were always subject to amendment and that any change would render that chart u/s, therefore the idea was uneconomic......

Besides, we couldn't have USA style 'Sectionals' here, now, could we..??

So, even for 'in house' use on consoles......out came the coloured pencils and the dividers etc etc.....

Cheers

compressor stall
23rd Sep 2010, 00:38
That might have been true in the past FSO, but that argument holds no real water now. Everything would be digitised in a GIS program (like ARC GIS), and you just select the appropriate layer over the top.

Sure there is an economic cost in printing the chart, but it should be a 10 minute job to put the CTA boundary layer across the existing WAC...

Ex FSO GRIFFO
23rd Sep 2010, 00:59
Stallie, I heartily agree with your point, even more so now - in this progressive computer age....

Indeed, that was the point then, when said WACs were less than $2 EACH.....

I would suggest that perhaps RAPAC or some other committee could raise the issue again...it should be 'commercially viable', providing that the charts are 'valid' for a reasonable time frame.

Mainframe
23rd Sep 2010, 01:26
Biggles

WACs and ONCs (Operational Navigation Charts, same scale as WACs but bigger sheet coverage) were withdrawn for various parts of the world for "security" reasons.

The US Dept of Defence and the Australian Defence Force have decided what you can have and can't have.

The Australian Defence Forces have access to all of the world charts.

Would be terrorists can now plan their operations using Google Earth instead!

East Timor, PNG, most of South West Pacific etc are now among places that do not have WACs or ONCs available

I have been able to obtain charts restricted for sale in Australia from the FAA in USA.
Even they have limited stocks for these restricted countries and they will not be restocked as they run out.

Yes, its difficult to safely plan a VFR flight, or a non standard IFR route in the restricted countries,
I've managed to borrow ONCs from some operators and have the chart scanned into PDF so that I can print out portions as needed.

50.40. 30 etc

Champagne PC Services Flight Planner 3000 has a Google Earth feature where you can overlay your flight plan on it, it even draws the tracks.

You can probably download a Demo version and have a look to see if that suits you.

Another great use of Google Earth in all countries is the ability to look at an ALA in plan view,
then in 3D view, you can orient the display to see the approach features on a selected runway heading, I find this a brilliant feature.

topdrop
23rd Sep 2010, 04:15
Every AIRAC, Airservices supplies each console with new charts. For Approach we have VTC, TAC and WAC out to about 150NM with all steps, published routes and freq boundaries on it.
If you asked your local ATC unit nicely, they may be willing to give you the old ones instead of throwing them in the bin - remember numbers are limited and they are out of date.