PDA

View Full Version : The Middle East and aviation

mensaboy
20th Feb 2010, 08:45
Everything goes in cycles. The ME has seen a boom in aviation in the past 10 years and in particular the last 7 years. Every single event that decimated aviation around the world, actually benefited the ME (well at least EK) in one way or another. But IMHO, the pendulum will swing in the opposite direction in the next decade.

An aviation career nowadays is a perilous journey even if you land the best job on the planet, but coming to the ME will surely seal your fate.... in a negative manner.The Middle East, IS NOT THE PLACE TO BE, for a budding aviation enthusiast.

The reality of life here as a pilot, with the complete disregard for human beings and the inevitable instability in this region should scare off any educated pilot from considering taking a chance here. Objectively.......... look at the decline of the pilot profession at Emirates Airline, which is considered by many to be the best ME pilot job, and you should realize that your life will NOT be very good as an F/O, let alone a Captain.

Wait till the recent F/O hirees eventually have to fly every 2nd flight with a local dude, who quite frankly will shock the hell out of you each flight. That is not even taking into account the fact you will have to 'appear' subservient and docile as their flying colleague. For years EK offered and hired jobs to 'their best and brightest' in their population and EK had some ****-hot local dudes in spite of their relative inexperience. This is no longer true in my opinion. They have surpassed the point when the best 'LOCAL' dudes considered this job to be one of the best offered by the government/ Royal family, so now that there is a quota, you will fly with guys who quite frankly don't approach things in a professional manner.

Consider what the Emiratization of 'Management' has done to this job. AAR, is an absolute nightmare in all respects, yet NO ONE is in a position to counter his dictates. Critical mass will soon be reached at Emirates and that is beyond question.

Honestly, unless you are without a job living in a trailor park in Alabama then strike EK off your list of prospective employers. Things are dismal here and there is a 99% chance that things will degrade further.

Sadly for EK, since many locals are unable to admit mistakes and now that we have reached the threshold where too many locals have authoritative positions, the decline of this airline will accelerate.

If more pilots come here, then the averages pilots life mightl remain the same (not so good), but if few suitable pilots come here then things will obviously decline. Bring on the idiots, is my point of view, but DON'T bring on the decent people who get sucked into the propaganda. Dubai and Emirates Airline has a thin veneer covering up the incompetence and stupidity of those individuals in charge of things.

Heed the warnings. The middle east with respect to aviation will shortly enter the phase of zero if not negative growth, and besides that fact, this place is not pleasant in many respects and is headed for further declines.

My goodness, EK just promoted the absolute LAST person who should be considered for FMA. The insanity will continue, if not accelerate, in Dubai and at Emirates Airline.

mensamyass
20th Feb 2010, 12:17
Abused as a child or just not that well endowed? ;)

Dropp the Pilot
20th Feb 2010, 12:58
My theory is an over-indulgent mother who sent him to one of those schools where every child gets a ribbon on sports day.

He appears to think he is discerning. Heaven only knows why.

nolimitholdem
20th Feb 2010, 15:25
lol

wow what great rebuttals guys! I particularly enjoy the clever nickname of "mensamyass". Sort of sums up the whole region...they've never had an original idea in their life.

Couldn't agree more with mensa's post. The Emiratization of the airline is just the same, boring, pattern repeating that happens everywhere in the world they start replacing merit with entitlement.

Self-deluded, ass-licking sycophants comments aside.

seRIOusGRUdge
20th Feb 2010, 15:44
Its that same old story you hear about comeing to middle east...

come with 2 empty bags, an empty bag for money and an empty bag for sh1t...the first one to get filled up then it is time to go home.

Friendly Pelican
20th Feb 2010, 16:38
Ahh Mensaboy.....

I've watched his posts from a short distance (100km?), knowing that we're not too far apart in perception. But, mate, you can howl at the moon all you like: it's history, custom and bloody-mindedness. There's f@rck-all you can do about it, except play them at their own game.

If one lets the Western mindset go, one can enjoy the Land of Not-Quite-Right for the hypocritical cesspit that it is - while all the while making them sweat for one's infidel expertise.

What does that mean? It means, ultimately, calling to account their hyperdeveloped sense of personal dignity/honour/face/whatever: they're absolutely terrified that someone will finally let the world know what it's really like, and make it stick. Thankfully, that day appears closer by the hour: witness the recent strangulation case in London.

I realise it may be easier for me to pontificate from down the road: our vicissitudes have not yet become as petty as yours; but I'm convinced that our way to salvation is to hoist them on their own petard. You know the tools: they're all in the CARs, the OM-A etc. Use them as and when warranted: and cover your @rse using the same documents. (One can't be called a malingerer if the AME says you're fatigued.)

All-in-all, and over a glass of red, I'm unsure if this post is as perceptive as I might wish; but it may stimulate further contemplation and, then, discussion.

Anyways, I'm off to India: see you tomorrow!

FP

donpizmeov
20th Feb 2010, 17:48
I hold you on my gadget Pelican,

Mate, glad you made it to the sand, but this isn't NZ. Its true they are just as hard to understand here as they are in the east island, but man are they more out to get you. Time in the sun here is referred to as hard time in our FOM (or whatever they call it these days). Enjoy those India turns.

The Don

NZ X man
20th Feb 2010, 19:17
Hay Pelican, India is NO walk in the park either mate, remember to boil your water.