PDA

View Full Version : Stunty bunty truck

Fokkerwokker
20th Feb 2010, 07:39
I have, in the dim and distant, campaigned a largish aeroplane around the bazaars but THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu7dR0gia6s) will certainly get the guys and gals out of the pilot's tent!

Respect!

FW

Farfrompuken
20th Feb 2010, 08:15
Outrageous!!! I want one!

VP8
20th Feb 2010, 08:46
Fly it like you stole it!!:}

Landroger
20th Feb 2010, 09:48
Are they allowed to do that? :eek: :) I am deeply impressed - ten out of ten and 'A' for neatness. :D

Roger.

Senior Pilot
20th Feb 2010, 10:09
Just to avoid following Fokkerwokker's link :ok:

Pu7dR0gia6s

RumPunch
20th Feb 2010, 12:56
Oh my lord is that allowed, huge respect for trying that for the first time :ok:

BAE 146 can get tae, I think we need a few of these, flights in the hot zones would be more interesting

Beancountercymru
20th Feb 2010, 14:03
A stick of air-sick paras out the back at the end would have been a fitting finale

FlapJackMuncher
20th Feb 2010, 16:23
A diamond 9 would be something to see.

MightyGem
20th Feb 2010, 16:29
Hope the loadie's tied down. :sad:

Runaway Gun
20th Feb 2010, 16:55
I hope the inflight meals and toilets are tied down.

I was going to say "I hope the Nav is tied down", but some of them like that sort of thing....

Diablo Rouge
20th Feb 2010, 16:55
Browsing the airplane anorak mags in Smiths today (as you do) and read that the Afghans are taking delivery of US funded Spartans. A fair few at that. I suspect that these would be perfect if field runway integrity could be assured.

VinRouge
20th Feb 2010, 16:58
Runaway, the only job for a Nav on a C-27 would be either there to clean the toilets or use it on his way to collect his P45.

Lyneham Lad
20th Feb 2010, 17:03
Good grief! Is the airframe really cleared for such manoeuvres? Nevertheless, one has to be impressed at such a display!

Two-Tone-Blue
20th Feb 2010, 17:22
Fook ... that's almost indecent!!

BravoZulu, but don't try this at home! :)

Trim Stab
20th Feb 2010, 17:28
Any clues to the operator? I couldn't see any insignia on the aircraft.

BossEyed
20th Feb 2010, 17:48
It's Italian, PROB90 - RSV from Pratica di Mare.

Fokkerwokker
20th Feb 2010, 17:51
Any clues to the operator? I couldn't see any insignia on the aircraft.

Just checked the airshow website. Some Italian stallion with big cojones!

Shades of the mad Dutchmen in their F27 a couple of decades ago methinks.

Fantastic!!!
:ok::}:ok:

Guzlin Adnams
20th Feb 2010, 17:59
:D Is there a place for the C27 in the RAF? Would it be cheaper to operate than the CH47 for some roles? I'll answer my own question, we don't have the money!:sad:

ImageGear
20th Feb 2010, 18:06
It would be a bit wasted on the truckies since with having so much fun the pies would have to be well tied down.

Now if we could only come up with the readies

Imagegear :ok:

Two-Tone-Blue
20th Feb 2010, 18:09
Is there a place for the C27 in the RAF? Would it be cheaper to operate than the CH47 for some roles? I'll answer my own question, we don't have the money!

And CAS will require all AT crews to have a FJ background? :}

You answered your question, of course. But the role problem is probably the biggest snag. It's not a rotary - it needs a strip, and life and planning and procurement cannot completely be geared to supporting ground forces in 'Stan. Once that's over [OK, you know what I mean] what is the purpose of having the kit? [And all the Logs aspects, trained personnel, spares holding etc etc etc etc. ?]

The Army and the AT guys have views on what's needed. I haven't spotted much here or on ARRSE saying "We need C-27". It's a WIBN.

[WIBN = 'Wouldn't It Be Nice", for those who have never dealt with Establishments or Finance staffs]

TEEEJ
20th Feb 2010, 18:30
The Italians have been displaying the forerunner to the C-27J like that for decades. Fiat/Aeritiala/Alenia G-222 displays.

0uHRetUPV1M

_Y7CWG8ElMI

Aeritalia G.222 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeritalia_G.222)

TJ

Arm out the window
20th Feb 2010, 21:07
Just don't buy the demo model off the showroom floor!

Rigga
20th Feb 2010, 22:55
If the RAF did buy it it would need new avionics and a radar that doesn't work, weaker engines and cheaper spars. It'd have to be built in Prestatyn by one-armed ex-holiday home owners... and still be expected to do the same loops and rolls as the 2005 brochure said.

Oh, and it would enter into service in about 10 years time at five times the current price, with a few gaps in the MAR.

Abbeville
21st Feb 2010, 09:45
Would the trash haulers among you comment if the C27 Spartan (http://www.air-attack.com/page/85/C-27J-Spartan.html) a reasonable bang for your buck?

Two's in
21st Feb 2010, 14:51
Defense Secretary Gates cut the Army's buy of C-27J last year and it became an Air Force only program for about 40 Ac. The National Guard were planning to replace their C-23 Sherpas (a little known UK success) with C-27J. The Army have made the argument that they currently use CH-47s for the Tactical lift role, thus removing a critical rotary asset from its intended role.

Lawmakers press Gates to keep Army cargo plane - TheHill.com (http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/4050-lawmakers-press-gates-to-keep-army-cargo-plane)

“We believe that if implemented such cuts would impede the ability of the United States Army, specifically the Army National Guard, to meet intra-theater lift requirements for ‘the last tactical mile’ as well as severely constrain the Army and Air National Guard’s ability to respond to a domestic disaster,” the lawmakers wrote to Gates.

The Army in particular has been adamant about buying a smaller cargo aircraft that can go deep into the battlefield to deliver needed supplies to troops. The Army has been relying heavily on its Chinook helicopters for that purpose. Army officials have argued for months that Afghanistan’s terrain, for example, has put tremendous pressure on these helicopters, which are now filling the void of a cargo aircraft that can fly “the last tactical mile.”

PS. Epic bit of display flying on that clip, always better to see Bernoulli at work being assisted by Whittle, rather than the other way around.

Extg3
21st Feb 2010, 15:24
If I remember correctly wasn't the US buy of the C-27J off of an Army requirement that the Airforce "hijacked".
And that the Army wanted a different aircraft, but the C-27J is the one the Airforce wanted.

StopStart
21st Feb 2010, 15:35
Would the trash haulers among you comment if the C27 Spartan a reasonable bang for your buck?

There's a definite niche for these things and were we not a bankrupt third world air force I reckon we would see an RAF mini fleet of these things involved in the small scale intra-theatre lift we currently burn up C130 hours on. They're also perfect for patrol insertions into smaller strips etc. Cheaper to run and, generally speaking, they deliver the same effect as the C130 (certainly in terms of how we use them).

To be honest though, UK Plc would get more operational utility out of such a platform if, sadly, it were operated by the Army. The level of risk avoidance in the RAF is now at such a level that it is frankly embarassing having to explain to the Army why you can't do X, Y and/or Z any more.....:ugh:

Green Flash
21st Feb 2010, 17:23
Nutters, but quite brilliant, everything must be bolted to everything else, looks like it's a tough machine, might take a load of punishment and get you home - same donks as the J Herc? Didn't the boys do a similer show at RIAT? Carrying on in the fine tradition of the Italian Runway Ploughing team but without the sparks! A rather tasty bit of kit in the right/wrong hands, BZ to the crew too:ok:

larssnowpharter
21st Feb 2010, 17:43
Would the trash haulers among you comment if the C27 Spartan a reasonable bang for your buck?

For hauling trash (and people for that matter) it may well be worth going back to 'old tech'.

The Blackburn Beverly was described to me once as 'a great ship. Take anything nowhere'.

True STOL performance, ugly as sin itself. Imagine an updated version, turboprops, fixed gear, unpressurized with the ability to take around 3 times the load of a CH47 in and out of 500 metre strips at twice the speed.

Lufthansa Joe
21st Feb 2010, 18:44
Does anybody know who killed Archie Mitchell? Was it Phil?