PDA

View Full Version : How many hours do I have?

TSIO540
17th Feb 2010, 01:58
I know (at least I think I do) that when reporting total time, one should quote total aeronautical experience e.g. 50% of time spent as copilot; assuming this is the case, how does that rule apply to quoting night experience and time on type etc? What is the industry standard when quoting a breakdown of one's experience e.g. for a VB or JQ interview?

Goat Whisperer
17th Feb 2010, 02:37
I have never seen a practical application of the "50% of co-pilot time" business.

I know there's a "total aeronautical experience" field on many log books but that doesn't seem to have any practical applications these days.

An hour is an hour. A co-pilot hour takes 60 minutes to log and goes in the co-pilot column. Unless it's a single pilot aircraft but don't get me started on Caravan/Chieftain "First Officers".

slice
17th Feb 2010, 03:03
Goat - care to elaborate on the "First Officers?

ZappBrannigan
17th Feb 2010, 03:19
I haven't thought of this as the case at all. Total time is total time - aeronautical experience is aeronautical experience. If a particular airline's requirement is "1500 total hours", then you're quoting total flying hours, not subtracting for 50% co-pilot time. I've noticed some airlines specify aeronautical experience - so here, you'd use the 50% co-pilot figure.

My understanding is - the only time you use 50% co-pilot time is when specifically asked for aeronautical experience - if you're asked for night hours, IF hours, M/E hours etc. etc. - there's no 50% co-pilot time taken into account. Apart from the obvious reasons, it'd be hellish to calculate this from most logbooks.

In short, unless specifically asked for "total aeronautical experience", quote your total time. You're not being dishonest doing this.

MyNameIsIs
17th Feb 2010, 08:05
Quote either

"Grand Total Flying Hours" - which is the full amount of everything or;

"Total Aeronauticl Experience" - which is 50% co-pilot time plus the full of everything else.

They are two different things.

Wen it comes to reporting things like total night, thats the total of all your night unless otherwise stated.

On a resume, a table by aircraft type or single/multi with relevant hours from each column of your logbook will demonstrate your breakdown more effectively- most of the time.

my 2c

porch monkey
17th Feb 2010, 08:36
Slice, you know the ones. Those very useful first officer thingys that some places have on single pilot aircraft. Often used as an extra profit centre, especially directly from the f/o's wallet, thereby allowing said company to undercut the genuine operators and claim 2 pilot safety. All without multicrew training or checking. Good lurk for the company, but generally not in the career interests of said so called first officers.........

Torque2
17th Feb 2010, 09:21
From the CASA website regarding logging of hours:

Total Aeronautical Experience Total aeronautical experience is calculated by adding the totals of flight times recorded in each column but in such a way that that any flight time is not included more than once in the grand total hours. Note also that only 50% of the time logged as a co-pilot may be included in the total.

Grand Total Flying Hours Grand Total Flying Hours is calculated by adding all numbered columns in the flight record, plus ICUS, and recording the total at the bottom of the page.

I would assume that would address the problem. :ok:

Mecarsa Bitrusty
17th Feb 2010, 09:51
Total Aeronautical Experience

Some bull s#@t requirement for CASA to issue an ATPL

Grand Total Flying Hours

What the real world will look at to judge you experience level

Howard Hughes
17th Feb 2010, 21:27
How many hours do I have?
If you still need to count them, not enough!:E