PDA

View Full Version : Compass Turning Errors

PAPI 32
15th Feb 2010, 17:53
I've grasped the Acceleration/Deceleration errors regarding the Direct Indicating Compass but does anyone know a good mnemonic for remembering the turning errors? I'm happy with the fact turning errors are max when turning through N/S and zero when turning through E/W (ignoring the liquid swirl phenomena)

Whilst I'm at it does anyone know any other good mnemonics in relation to the ATPL theory ?

I know the infamous PUDSOD for ASI errors and Cadbury’s Dairy Milk Very Tasty for remembering the sequence: Compass, Deviation, Magnetic, Variation, True, thought it would be incorrect to now use Cadburys seeing they are no longer technically existent.....................:sad:

EI-CON
15th Feb 2010, 19:02
Hey,

I love these!(I know such a flying nerd!) I use:

ANDS = accelerate apparent turn to the north, decelerate apparent turn to the south, for accelerating/decelerating

UNOS= undershoot noth, overshoot south, for turning errors.

And there is one to replace cadburys too! it does the sequence the opposite way around but I think its better as this is the way you do it when flight planning i.e. it starts with true HDG and ends with a compass HDG:

True Virgins Make Dull Company

True heading, variation, magnetic heading, deviation, compass heading:}

tigermagicjohn
15th Feb 2010, 19:22
For Electrics and Radio Nav:

Very Lonely Man Have Very Unusual Sexual Experiences

SOD PUD
SUC POC - Instruments

Dont forget for compass what is Clockwise, Anti Clockwise and Liquid Swirl :ugh:

Pitch+Power
15th Feb 2010, 23:25
Can Dead Men Vote Twice

Trolle
16th Feb 2010, 07:38
Acronyms are a great way to remember stuff. ANDS, UNOS, OSUN, Some Old Hags Can't Afford Homes Till Old Age, CFAGGSLIE, ARROW, etc... I have FAA certificates, so obviously a little different in some areas.

When I was doing my ATPL tests I made up my own mnemonic tools, but here is a link to a document that also has some:

http://www.freelancepilot.nl/ATPL%20summary.pdf

I didn't end up remembering it, but I thought the tool to remember the different parts of ICAO was pretty good.

Good luck.

EI-CON
17th Feb 2010, 14:46
tigermagicjohn,

can you explain the electrics and radio nav ones? sorry my head is a bit slow these days! thanks

mcgoo
17th Feb 2010, 16:05
EI-CON, that is the radio spectrum order:

Very Lonely Man Have Very Unusual Sexual Experiences

VLF, LF, MF, HF, VHF, UHF, SHF, EHF

EI-CON
17th Feb 2010, 16:09
mcgoo,

Of course! thanks for that sorry my head is very slow these days! must have been too much pan cakes yesterday.

Thanks mcgoo:ok:

mcgoo
17th Feb 2010, 16:42
No worries, i've sent you a PM