PDA

View Full Version : CPL theory preparation question

lee_apromise
15th Feb 2010, 12:29
Hi Fellas

Just gotta ask a few questions regarding CPL theory exams.

I've recently graduated from mech eng from UQ and got a job in an engineering company but I have this compulsive urge to pursue my childhood dream of becoming a pilot.

I completed PPL at YBAF back in 07 and haven't been flying ever since.
Before I start my CPL flight training (applied to CX cadet a few days ago and will apply for QF cadet at the end of this year), I want to get all the theories done within 2010 before I might go back to uni to do a master degree in 2011.

I still have Aviation Theory Centre (ATC) PPL/CPL textbooks (bought in 2006, which still contains MBZ procedures) but it seems it is a bit outdated and I find Bob Tait PPL textbook much better and clearer than ATC.

Should I just keep studying with ATC textbooks bought in 06 or get new Bob Tait CPL textbooks?

I would really appreciate your inputs on this one.

Thanks in advance.

John

AerocatS2A
15th Feb 2010, 13:19
Buy the new textbooks. You've already said they seem "better and clearer" than what you've got. Also, buying new stuff is fun, it'll be like making a fresh start.

DH 200'
15th Feb 2010, 23:14
Agree with Aerocat. There have been a few new additions to the textbooks since 06 so pick up a set of brand spanking new BT textbooks.
Good luck.

hadagutful
16th Feb 2010, 10:48
Concur again, 2006 to now is a long time in the aviation legislation world. Theory won't have changed much but operational stuff has, e.g. GAAP procedures at YBAF and elsewhere.

Can also vouch for Bob Tait's books, updated and nicely presented and easy to read. I passed my CPL using them some years ago.
Good luck.

Diversion90
16th Feb 2010, 14:39
Lee use the Bob Tait series of books, I used them to complete my CPL exams late 09 early this year. The only thing that you might find Bob Tait doesn't cover very well is the Threat and Error Management that is now part of human factors, and I never really came across much that was of use. Some of it is, however common sense.

If I could of done something differently for the threat and error management it would be to look at the day VFR syllabus references before the exam rather than to check what I got wrong for the KDR, it might help you to try and find some general info on the types of errors and there classifications.

Goodluck, and depending how busy you are book one exam for three weeks from now then when you pass it straight away book the next exam in another three weeks, this will keep you motivated and on track.