PDA

View Full Version : USAF History - Southeast Asia

ORAC
14th Feb 2010, 10:01
I am having a clear out and want to find a good home for the following volumes from the USAF Air Force History, Southeast Asia (http://www.paperlessarchives.com/vw__usaf.html).

Not selling them, but whoever wants one or more of them can contribute a suitable sum to a military charity equal to the P&P etc.

So I hope the Mods don't mind. :ouch:

Hardback:

The United States Air Force in Southeast Asia (3 volumes)

The Advisory Years to 1965 GONE
Fixed Wing Gunships 1962-1972 GONE
South Vietnam - The Years of the Offensive 1965-1968 GONE

Paper/softback:

Air Power and the Fight for Khe Sanh

USAF SE Asia Monograph series:

I: The Tale of Two Bridges & the Battle for the Skies over North Vietnam GONE
II: Airpower and the 1972 Spring Invasion GONE
III: The Vietnamese Air Force, 1951-1975, an Analysis of its Role in Combat and Fourteen Hours at Koh Tang GONE
IV: Last Flight from Saigon GONE
V: Airpower and the Airlift Evacuation of Kham Duc GONE
VI: Linebacker II: A View from The Rock GONE
VII: Air Force Heroes in Vietnam GONE

Other non-USAF history books on Vietnam:

Wolfpack - Hunting Migs over Vietnam - Jerry Scutts.
Over the Beach, the Air War in Vietnam - Zalin Grant.
On Yankee Station, the Naval Air War over Vietnam - Nichols/Tillman.
Bury Me Upside Down - The Misty Pilots and the Secret Battle for the Ho Chi Minh Trail - Newman/Shepperd.
Sailors to the End - The Deadly Fire on the Forrestal and the Heroes Who Fought It - Gregory Freeman.
Life on the Line - Stories of Vietnam Air Combat - Philip Chinnery.
The Invisible Air Force - the Story of the CIA's Secret Airline - Christopher Robbins.
Phantom Over Vietnam - John Trotti.
A Lonely Kind of War, Forward Air Control, Vietnam - Marshall Harrison.

If these find good homes, I'l start on those covering WWI, WWI, Korea, GWI etc.... :O

Chairborne 09.00hrs
14th Feb 2010, 11:56
I'd like to take up your kind offer with this one, please.

ORAC
14th Feb 2010, 12:33
Reluctant to split the set, but I will if no one else wants it.

For anyone into Tac Airlift I really would recommend the description of Khe Sanh (http://www.ndqsa.com/KheSanh.pdf). :uhoh:

SASless
14th Feb 2010, 12:41
Orac,

I knew Mort Friedman....one of the Combat Controllers that was the last folks off the strip at Kham Duc....and it was my Chinook unit that participated in the evacuation. Thus I can attest to the incredible story that particular event is.

Anyone with an interest in the Vietnam War would enjoy all of the titles.

ORAC
14th Feb 2010, 12:50
Chairborne has pointed out to me he didn't want to be greedy, so only asked for one volume. If others want some of the others, I'll split the set. If not, he has first request in for vols I to VII.

ORAC
14th Feb 2010, 14:11
I also have, which may be of interest now we have fighters again ;) , a copy of Fighter Combat - Tactics and Maneuvering (http://books.google.com/books?id=hBxBdKr0beYC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Fighter+Combat+-+Tactics+and+Maneuvering&source=bl&ots=9qdp_LcJJg&sig=IDs4KUv-b3icfEG1R_qUKz9eKhY&hl=en&ei=EBJ4S_OSKI-RjAeytYXECg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=&f=false), by Robert Shaw.

Same deal.

Evalu8ter
14th Feb 2010, 14:27
ORAC,
Have you nicked my book collection?

I've got the Tale of Two Bridges, but lacking the rest of the set. Would you be interested in anything in exchange?

If not, be delighted to contribute to your nominated charity.

ORAC
14th Feb 2010, 15:39
OK, Chairborne gets Vol 1 and Evalu8ter gets Vols II to VII.

If you could both send me addresses for delivery please.

Evalu8ter, charity please, I am trying to downsize so I can buy a smaller place. The collection has built up over many years, but to be honest I haven't haven't opened any of them for over 10 years since I let the RAF. I just wanted them to go to someone who wants them rather than make a couple of quid on ebay or throw them away.

Got a set of WWI books to go eventually as well - The Spider Web, Green Balls, Room 40, An Airman's outing with the RFC. (umm, not that sort of outing...) ;)

Surprised no one has asked for the Khe Sanh volume!!

Chairborne 09.00hrs
14th Feb 2010, 15:48
My address should be in my PM to you.

If you've deleted it, let me know.

Ta.

Evalu8ter
14th Feb 2010, 19:56
Orac,
PM sent with contact details...though I've not told the wife.....:}

West Coast
15th Feb 2010, 19:05
ORAC
I find de-cluttering is often a lead in to a major change in ones life. I trust your health is good and that you're simply downsizing or something similarly minor in the big scheme of things.

Edit: your note in post 8 about downsizing explains it. Now iffin you're looking to rid yourself of any original Zepplin, Stones or Who albums, I would be happy to make a donation to a charity of your choosing.

Chairborne 09.00hrs
25th Feb 2010, 17:42
I have now read the book I scrounged from Orac.

In order to raise a little more money for charity, I am happy to pass the book onto another one of you, in return for a small donation.

So: does anyone want this USAF SE Asia Monograph:

Vol. I: The Tale of Two Bridges & the Battle for the Skies over North Vietnam

Over to you.

SASless
26th Feb 2010, 00:03
ORAC,

In about two weeks I shall be stood in the middle of Khe Sanh with Box Brownie in hand.....will post some piccies for you when I get back.