PDA

View Full Version : GT200 bomb detector

Xeque
14th Feb 2010, 05:34
There is some debate going on in the Thai press about the GT200 detector.

GT200 lab studies ruled out for now (http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/32858/gt200-lab-studies-ruled-out-for-now)

This is purported to be a hand-held device requiring no batteries that operates on static electricity and able to detect explosives and narcotics.

The manufacturers website is at

EK9 GT200 Remote Substance Detection (http://www.e-k9.net/gt200main.php)

I understand that one uses different 'substance recognition cards' in the machine depending on what you are looking for - narcotics, explosives, whatever.

It is claimed that the devise has the following detection capabilities:

Detection distance:

* Water (depth) 800 meters
* General search 700 meter
* Earth (depth) 60 meters
* Aerial 4 kilometers

The Thai authorities, quite rightly before handing out large sums of money, have requested laboratory tests to determine whether the device really works. The manufacturers have refused to allow this claiming possible infringement of intellectual property rights.

It's not April 1st so this has to be a con, right? If this thing really worked why isn't it in general use in airports across the world putting paid, once and for all, to the **** that passengers and crew have to endure before they board an aircraft?

xraydice
14th Feb 2010, 08:58
Army Rumour Service > > Forums > > Boards by Arm / Service (roughly) > > Sappers > > Duff British EOD Kit blamed for deaths in Thailand (http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=141347.html)

will help in your studies

Xeque
14th Feb 2010, 09:36
Thank you. I hadn't realised it has been such a problem in other parts of the world - I assumed (wrongly) that it was confined to Thailand where I have only just become aware of it and where, it seems, the purveyors of "Emperors new clothes" have been busy.
After the reports by the British Army and the Americans and the Iraq experience it beats me how a scam like this can be allowed to continue and how politicians and senior military people can be so gullible. But then you see the prices being charged and can guess the consequent size of the kickbacks fund and you realise why.
It makes you sick.
I guess this thread belongs in Jet Blast. It certainly isn't anything that might brighten up the passenger and crews day when passing through the airport as I originally thought.

Paraffin Budgie
14th Feb 2010, 10:18
The Movenpick in Bahrain used to use something that looked like this gadget whenever I drove in through the gate. I could never figure out how a black box with something that looked like a telescopic car radio aerial could pick up the presence of anything at all explosive!

The gate guard did look terribly solemn while he was walking up and down with his "detector", so he obviously believed in it.

swordfling
16th Feb 2010, 23:41
Explosives expert Sidney Alford took apart the "black box" of the GT200, which is supposed to receive signals from the detection cards.
He was surprised at what he found.
"Speaking as a professional, I would say that is an empty plastic case," he told us.
Mr Alford also took apart a "detection card" and found there was nothing in it other than card and paper.
Gary Bolton from Global Technical told the BBC that the lack of electronic parts "does not mean it does not operate to the specification".

BBC Newsnight: UK warns world about useless 'bomb detectors' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/8481774.stm)

BBC News: 'Bomb detector' maker Jim McCormick arrested (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8476381.stm)

It's so ludicrous that in the 21st century entire governments can be duped by an empty box like this, that I think it's actually funny. I really can't understand why these people have been taken seriously by anyone. I do appreciate there's a serious side to this though, and do sincerely hope nobody has been injured or lost their lives as a result of this fraud.

So, if the BBC can do it, why can't these governments just buy one, or get one on trial, and open it up? X-ray it even? It really doesn't take much to do basic tests on them. And who would spend huge sums like this without trials, or not be suspicious if the manufacturer refused? :ugh:

Just tell the manufacturers you've hidden a bomb in their offices - let them use the detector to find it! :D

Edit: Just read the manufacturer's FAQs and anyone with the most basic knowledge of physics would just laugh at it... e.g. "It requires a very high level of electric current but without amperage." Not sure what that means, given that amperes are the SI unit of electric current!

Apparently, it will even detect frozen fish through lead lined walls...outstanding! :D:D

Xeque
17th Feb 2010, 02:15
The Thai government announced yesterday that the devices had been tested and found to be useless. They recommended that they no longer be used and stated that no more would be purchased. Unfortunately some 800+ had already been purchased.
One wonders what the Iraqi's, the Pakistani's, the Thai's and any other governments who bought these things will do to recover their money.
Sadly, people have been killed and injured because of this scam. Not only that but innocent people are being accused of carrying explosives because the devices have (wrongly) 'detected' them.
One hopes that the British man who made a fortune from the worldwide sale of this piece of junk will feel the full weight of the law when he comes to trial.

tezzer
17th Feb 2010, 13:13
And as a manufacturer of hight tech goods that DO work to Government agencies around the World, it has damaged more than just HIS reputation, we are seeing more stringent tests put in place before Governments buy OUR non related systems.

Pax Vobiscum
17th Feb 2010, 17:45
who would spend huge sums like this without trials
Quite possibly someone with a financial incentive provided by the manufacturer (an all too common occurrence in these parts of the world).