PDA

View Full Version : Approaches in Canada

PantLoad
14th Feb 2010, 00:29
Just curious....do the Jepp ATC pages for Canada specify how to do visual approaches....that is, specifically, do the JEPP ATC pages for Canada say that you are to maintain at least 3000 feet AGL and ten miles before turning final? (This, ostensibly, for noise abatement.)

Somewhere in the back of my mind, there is something in there that restricts us from turning final inside of ten miles and below 3000 feet AGL when doing a visual approach. Can't remember. This came up in a B.S. session (hangar flying) the other day.

Fly safe,

PantLoad

bugdriver
14th Feb 2010, 01:55
In the Canada Air Pilot Instrument Procedures it depends on the airport for Noise Abatement on visual approaches, some have restrictions some don't. Toronto Pearson is 3000' whereas Ottawa is 2500'. Some airports have no restriction. At Pearson it is required to intercept the final approach course at or outside the FAF and remain on or above the glide slope or the assumed 3 degree glide slope. Ottawa is similar for the intercept of the final approach course and glide slope.

At least that is what my outdated CAP states....

Bug

PantLoad
14th Feb 2010, 05:24
Thank you, Bugdriver.

Is there anyone who can check the Jepp ATC pages for this?

Fly safe,

PantLoad

PappyJ
14th Feb 2010, 07:17
First of all, I'll agree that I may be misunderstanding your post a little.

That said, Jepp; Canada Air Pilot; NOS; Navtech; Eurochart; and all the others are "Chart Publishers," not procedure designers.

All the chart publishers (worldwide) publish charts with the details provided by the respective authorities (usually published in the that country's AIP and supplemented by Notam, etc).

Between the publishers, the differences are in the format only, not in the respective procedures. Obviously, Canada Air Pilot does not produce charts for airports outside of Canada, so the foregoing only really applies to Jepp, Navtech, etc.

None the less, the authorities design and certify approaches and procedures. Chart publishers simply assemble the data into their respective formats and publish the charts.

Cheers

V1... Ooops
14th Feb 2010, 08:46
PantLoad:

One related bit of information that might be useful to you: In Canada, when the controller says "cleared for the approach" (visual or otherwise), that implies that all previous altitude restrictions are cancelled - you then manage your own altitude in accordance with the approach plate.

I believe that this is a bit different than how things are done in the USA, because I often hear American pilots on the radio asking for altitude changes after being "cleared for the approach".

PantLoad
14th Feb 2010, 09:41
With regard to Jepp.....in Jepp (usually Vol 1), there is a section called "ATC" which describes procedures for each country....procedures that may be the same as ICAO...or may be slightly different from ICAO. My question was: Is there something in this Jepp Vol 1 "ATC" which discusses visual approaches in Canada?

Second, I seem to remember a restriction in Canada (the reason I'm bringing this up) that required, when cleared for a visual approach, you should intercept final approach at least ten miles out at at least 3000 feet AGL.

Used to, whenever flying to a foreign country, review this Jepp ATC section to check on any differences....such as radio failure....or holding patterns....or the like. I can't remember about visual approaches....no longer have access to the Jepp manuals...(retired now)....

Just thought someone would be able to shed some light on this.

Fly safe,

PantLoad

clunckdriver
14th Feb 2010, 11:04
Pant, no one doesnt have to do any of this stuff at most airports in Canada, only at such places as Toronto {not really a part of Canada} Vancouver, Ottawa and a few other spots populated by Nimbys, at Ottawa even Q400s are told to turn final at the OM, WTF? you cant even hear them on T/O over the downtown traffic! Thankfully at most of our airfields reason prevails , unless of course someone from TC reads your post and dreams up another rule.In Toronto the mayor did his best to shut down the downtown airport, now used by Porter to run their hub from, Im not allowed to land the Challenger there {no jets} but can go in with an MU2 or Cessna piston twin, go figure that one out! Our local warplane collection joins with the clasic overhead break, by far the safest and a very quiet way to land anything, more fun too! So to sum up the procedures vary from place to place, the further North one goes the less the restrictions, up there they understand aviation is more than big silver tubes going some place warm in the winter!