PDA

View Full Version : Recovering erased sms

Rwy in Sight
13th Feb 2010, 08:53
A pal of mine manged to erase the sms's on his wife account (by mistake). She has a Motorola handset and we are looking as how he can retrieve the said sms's.

We contacted the provider and they said we have to go through the legal service to access the sms record.

Any ideas how to find the lost sms?

gas path
13th Feb 2010, 10:23
Try a search (google) for deleted sms recovery software.

hellsbrink
13th Feb 2010, 10:57
I think it all depends on whether the sms is on the phone or the sim. If on the sim then they can be recoverable as it all depends on what the phone does when you hit "delete". Some phones just mark the block as "free" whilst leaving the data there, like a computer normally does with it's hard disk, whereas others completely remove the data from the sim. It seems that Motorola is one make where recovery is possible.

If the sms' are on the phone memory, then they are gone forever.

390cruise
13th Feb 2010, 16:31
Rwy in sight

Maplin in the UK sell a device to enable deleted SMS or contacts to be read from sim cards,(not from phone handset).

It is worth mentioning that is only possible if more data has not been over written on the card.

If you are not UK then pls PM me I will send details to you of its make and model number/name, (I have one of these units)

Here to help

hellsbrink
13th Feb 2010, 18:39
390cruise

You don't need any fancy doofers to do that, generally all you need us to be able to connect the phone, with sim inside, to your PC and then you can get free software to do the necessary IF, in this case, Motorola Phone Tools itself is unable to let you read the lost sms'

390cruise
14th Feb 2010, 09:39
hellsbrink

Sounds worth trying if the lead is available to connect to the PC

Still here to help

hellsbrink
14th Feb 2010, 11:25
Of course, 360, that is IF the deleted sms' are on the sim card and not the phone itself

Keef
14th Feb 2010, 12:51
The Motorola V3s that I used (excellent phone) stored the SMS on the handset, not on the SIM. There was probably an option to do the other thing, but you wouldn't get many on the SIM.

Rwy in Sight
16th Feb 2010, 11:40
Keef,

My friend who read the thread pointed out that he needs the name of the program we can use to recover the sms.

Any syggestions?

Many thanks in advance!

Rwy in Sight

hellsbrink
16th Feb 2010, 14:38
Rwy in sight

As you have a Motorola phone, as long as you are able to connect it to the PC then you can use Motorola Phone Tools and you SHOULD be able to access deleted sms'.

Otherwise, google "recover deleted sms" and you'll get a list of other programs