PDA

View Full Version : IFR training tips

multi_engined
13th Feb 2010, 04:47
G'day guys,

After racking up two years of experience in the kimberleys i've decided it's time to go and get my instrument rating. I passed IREX last week and booked in a school to start next month. Does anybody have any tips to make it a bit easier?.. I'm hoping nearly a thousand hours will help.

tmpffisch
13th Feb 2010, 05:48
If you can ace all your intercepts to begin with, you'll have a good foundation for the rest of the course. In to In, Out to Out, Out to In, In to Out.

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/347688-ifr-navigating-flight-preperation.html

Shimmer
13th Feb 2010, 06:09
One of my biggest problems was that I knew the theory absolutely back to front, but struggled when it came to more obscure, practical applications. The best advice I could give you is to learn the theory and relate every single aspect of it back to the practical side of things.

You should also go beyond the teachings of the course and think about things like upgrading from VFR to IFR whilst in flight, or how you would determine if your altimeter is serviceable without an accurate QNH.

Also, try and give yourself worst case scenarios when you're learning about something new, for example a type of approach. Think about where you would track to if you lost visual reference whilst circling - and how you would determine where you are. Think about what you would do if your GS failed above LOC minima; a missed approach or merely swap from the ILS to the LOC approach.

I guess what I'm getting at is to not just learn the course as it is presented (although that is important), but to immerse yourself in the wider IFR applications and scenarios. :ok:

Blueskymine
13th Feb 2010, 07:09
Some people over complicate IFR flight. Don't worry about intercept headings etc just remember with an NDB inbound you need to 'drop' the head onto the track you require. If you are outbound remember the tail needs to 'rise' onto your heading.

'Outbound to inbound take the long way around' is also good for your situational awareness.

Get Jepps and read them. You will never know it all, but you will always now enough to be safe and proficient and know where to find something you need quickly.

Bob Taits book is great for your IREX however it lacks the over 5700 kg stuff you will need to know for your first renewal when flying such a machine.

Don't waste your time with airservice publications. Get the Jepps from the start (although I like the ERC charts from airservices better than the Jepp ones)

Have fun and welcome to IFR flight :) (Although if you are from the Kimberley I'm sure you have already got a fair bit of IMC time VFR :eek:)

slamer.
13th Feb 2010, 07:50
-Try and do some of your IR flying training with someone that has some solid IFR Op's experience.

-Use more than one instructor

-Enjoy your training, but work hard "always" ask yourself what have I missed what have I not considered what next what if ... or in other words be prepared

-If you think everthing is done .... it probably isnt.

-Aviate Navigate Communicate Administrate.

-Blue up ... Brown down

-Keep SA at all times

-Dont get caught up with random rules of thumb .... KISS

Zoomy
13th Feb 2010, 08:21
Just new to this kind of training and by no means a gun, but what I have seen help a lot of people is jumping in the sim and flying the dot. Your instructor should talk to you about this.

Power + Attitude = performance.

If you can ace all your intercepts to begin with, you'll have a good foundation for the rest of the course. In to In, Out to Out, Out to In, In to Out.
I agree and this will be achieved in the sim at a more reasonable rate than the aircraft, so make use of it. Fly when your ready and don't be in a rush.

Above all else, ENJOY what you are learning, ask lots, read lots and have fun.:ok:

multi_engined
13th Feb 2010, 08:45
I actually ordered a new set of jepps yesterday after using airservices resources for years, looks a lot better and won't have to worry about when everything is due.

I'll practice intercepts etc when I can but flying in the kimberleys there aren't a lot of navaids to use so never really get a lot of in-flight practice.

I must admit it looks like enjoyable flying and the next step up!

chode1984
13th Feb 2010, 09:17
One of the things I tell my MECIR students on their first day is that if you master two things while doing your rating you will find IFR flying a lot easier. And those two things are your scan and staying ahead of the aircraft.

I would also stress load shedding. ie. Don't make departure calls for CTAF in the turn. Wait until you are wings level. 95% of the time when a students tries to multi-task in the turn their scan turns to sh*t.

As said above spend as much time as you can in the sim. Im not sure how other schools work but our guys can use the sim as much as they want throughout the course so there is no excuse for not practising in your spare time if you are having trouble with certain aspects, ie. ADF intercepts.

When shooting the approach, trim the aircraft for the 3degree profile (if thats the case) and let the aircraft fly the thing itself. Dont manhandle it too much.

Don't set your assigned Alt indicator to the level you are on descent too (if outside controlled airspace), but set it to the level you can legally descend to at that very point in time. So if you're descending to 3000 (lets say thats your 10 msa) and the 25 mile msa is 3500, set 3500 until you are past 10miles and then set 3000.

As said above, try to think outside of the training. Although not an issue usually I like to give icing scenario's and ask what they would do. Also point out where you would first see ice forming on the aircraft so they know what to look for. Another major difference between IF training and real world IF charter is avoiding cloud (thus turbulence) where possible. ie if your planned level is 8 grand and there is a layer of cloud at this level but its clear elsewhere then change your level! PAX will appreciate it.

Enjoy your rating! Its a big learning curve.

an3_bolt
13th Feb 2010, 09:31
Do your training at night. :ok:

Bit of "arm chair" flying prior to cranking it up helps.

Licence to learn. Enjoy.

ForkTailedDrKiller
13th Feb 2010, 09:34
Seems a shame to waste money learning the ADF in this day and age!

I wonder how many active IFR pilots in here have flown one in anger in the last 90 days?

The NDB Appr will soon go the way of the DME Homing and Letdown!

Dr :8

chode1984
13th Feb 2010, 09:37
I agree that its pretty useless these days but still required to be endorsed on by companies for alternates etc

strim
13th Feb 2010, 09:49
I wonder how many active IFR pilots in here have flown one in anger in the last 90 days

I've flown two in the past 90 days :ok:

Quite enjoy a good NDB approach.

Angle of Attack
13th Feb 2010, 11:38
Power + Attitude = Performance is a good tip, just remember keep the attitude and power right and generally you won't deviate too quickly from any situation!

Rules of thumb regarding intercepts may work just make sure you have them clear in your head. I preferred to analyze my heading check the bearing and make a map view of the correct procedure to turn to intercept, usually only took a few seconds, but again depends on the person.

Most people used to have problems with ADF tracking in my days but then they had fixed card ADF's, do they still exist? Or most light aircraft have RMI'S these days?

At the end of the day when you are doing your training remember the five P's!

Prior Preparation Prevents Pissweak Performance

:ok:

hoggsnortrupert
13th Feb 2010, 20:19
Read:
The Art of Instrument Flying, by J.R Williams, Tab Practical Flying Series, published by Blue Ridge Summit, PA 17294-0850, ISBN # 0-8306-2418-x:

Listen:
Biggest tips know where your wind is from all the time, get use to the rate of needle movement, fly accurately accept no deviations of altitude and track. get use to a O tolerance, once you master this the rest becomes easy, you will get off to a slower start, but you will pick it up at the other end, and you will set a bloody good habit for the rest of your career, to the point it will become second nature, and leave your mind clear to handle other issues when needed.

Choose:

Names:
Young! Billy Whitworth:
Mr Rocker! Steve Pearce:
Only two I would consider in aussie.

In NZ.
Uncle! Wayne Harrison NPAC.
Young! Warren Sattler Ardmore.
Only two I would consider in NZ.

I say this unashamedly:

Chr's
H/Snort:ok:

blacknight
13th Feb 2010, 22:27
Ditto on all the above. I am still to finish the SE CIR. Have gained more by spreading the training out over a year. Varying weather. Several different instructors. I tried to rush it by covering 2 cross countries in the one day and ended up with "brain freeze". Above all- enjoy. It's great fun. Get yourelf a copy of MS Flight Sim and use it to practice at home. It's good for practicing the basics.

Blueskymine
14th Feb 2010, 06:00
The IFR questions in the flight safety magazines are good for that sort of thing!

gettin' there
14th Feb 2010, 08:22
Don't be suprised if you find yourself thinking "what the :mad: am i doing here? There is no way i will be able to do this" on the first one or two flights as I am not ashamed to admit that I did, despite being what I thought was fairly prepared before I jumed in the aircraft.

It will get easier (and more fun) after a couple of flights and don't put too much pressure on yourself.

Of course, unlike me, you might be a gun and nail everything 1st go and then none of the above applies :ok:

multi_engined
14th Feb 2010, 12:40
Thanks for the tips, they seem great!

PLovett
14th Feb 2010, 13:14
Most of what I could offer has been said either on this thread or the one that tmpffisch provided the link for.

A suggestion though is that after completing your training try and do some ICUS on real IFR flights. I was able to do this at the company where I did my training and I learned heaps. It reinforced the training and set me up for when I started to do IFR flights on my own.

It needs to be done properly and many here will scoff at ICUS but for me it was worth while.

Timocacy
14th Feb 2010, 15:55
MS Flightsim(doesn't matter what version), will save you a packet of money!

Get a plane with a fixed card adf and basic instruments. Then use the autopilot to fly around as a situation awareness exercise then do some approaches on the AP(trying to fly it will just frustrate you).

Everyday after school, I'd do a couple of approaches on it (for free) and I reackon it saved me thousands of dollars in sim and aircraft time.