PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness landings in New Zealand

Wildpilot
12th Feb 2010, 23:36
Hi I just wanted to know the facts on operating into wilderness areas of NZ and what the regulations on landing in off airport locations are. Are you allowed to land in places you have the right to drive a 4wd such as allot of valley systems and can you land on most bodies of water (on floats ) and what about gravel bars etc on Tundra tyres.

I have spent allot of time in NZ and it really is a little Alaska in terms of the adventures you can have.

conflict alert
13th Feb 2010, 03:46
Try 'AVSKILLS' in Omaka - thats the sort of thing they do. If you google it you can see some of their YouTube videos as well.

Wildpilot
13th Feb 2010, 05:53
Thanks for that CA but it seems that the website does not work, I have seen them on Youtube but I did not realise that it was a company not a private operation.

But if anyone knows the answer about landing off airport in and around the mountains and the rules governing it I would really like to know. Or if you can point me to the correct place to find out in detail what is and is not allowed would be fantastic. thanks

Corkey McFuz
13th Feb 2010, 07:44
In a nut shell, you can't land in a national park which covers a lot of the areas you may want to go.

Wildpilot
13th Feb 2010, 08:39
So is outside of DOC land acceptable, what about if I was to land on the gravel bars in some of the big rivers cutting across the Canterbury plains for instance.

VH-VIN
13th Feb 2010, 21:07
Wild Pilot, email me [email protected] and will give you a few ideas!!!

And yes you can land national parks in NZ, not all but many places.

www.avskills.com

M14_P
13th Feb 2010, 21:57
Sounds...ambitious! :)

Wildpilot
16th Feb 2010, 06:30
Sounds fun, all well with the Avskills website now.