PDA

View Full Version : what to expect for ppl training

pilotboy 95
12th Feb 2010, 21:44
can someone tell me what to expect through ppl to jet training. such as emegancy's and where i would fly to during the training. i would also like to know what stage you are at in training and how you got there. this is because i would like to know what the atitude is in traing.(this is just a casual question so don't go very technical please.)

Wildpilot
12th Feb 2010, 22:08
What planet are you on, this is a huge question that cannot be answered without being technical. ( possible troll )

Whirlygig
12th Feb 2010, 22:15
Attitude? Be safety conscious, leave your ego at home, accept criticism, ask about anything of which you are unsure, be studious and learn your subjects (rather than learn the answers from question banks) and prepare well for all your flights.

The PPL syllabus (and CPL etc) are available from schools, CAA, use Google to search.

As for where you would fly during the training? Rather depends on where you start? You have to do a solo cross-country with two landings away (150nm for helicopters, 300nm (?) for aeroplanes).

Cheers

Whirls

mcgoo
12th Feb 2010, 22:35
Pilotboy, theres a sticky at the top of the forum, titled "read this before you post a question", theres loads of info in there, have a read then come back with any questions:

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/131649-archive-reference-threads-posting-guidelines-read-before-you-post-question.html

Wildpilot
12th Feb 2010, 23:28
Sorry for not answering your ridiculous question with a sensible answer, in terms of where you will go on your PPL, most of it will be spent in the sky close to where you started from!

Angeltransportpjcts
13th Feb 2010, 09:16
Hi - Firstly may I wish you the Best of Luck with your decision to further your Flying Career. Which options are you considering for progression - staying in the UK or maybe training abroad where there are cheaper options available such as in the USA where Ab-Initio trainees can look at the J-1 Visa Exchange programme if that still exists - two years' duration during which you can work after obtaining a US DoT FAA CPL (UK equivalent is the Frozen ATPL.)

HOWEVER - Watch out for the 'Logbook Evaluation' pitfall if you do train abroad, especially in the US where your Flying Hours logged as 'American Flying Hours' (i. e. Tach-Time on to Tach-Time off) are converted back to 'British Flying Hours' (Wheels off R/W to Wheels back on R/W) by the CAA. This as well as my GFT and exams to convert what I brought back from the USA in 1999 kept my social life quiet to the tune of nearly £1000 in total.

EMERGENCIES - In the UK you will be taken through both developed stalls and spin training, especially beyond the PPL level. The FAA have different regulations re the PTS (Prac Test Standards) however I still booked a Spin Training session for my own good. Do not think that this is a violent gut-wrenching manoeuver where the tow-bar is going to connect with your head - my coat stayed hung up throughout my session of an hour in the C-152 Aerobat ... Look at this carefully and as I did seek a more careful explanation from your instructor - who by now you will have built up that all-important rapport with. Still a big 'Checkride Buster' in the States even today is the EMERGENCY DESCENT - The examiner will declare it like an emergency stop on a driving test: Power to Idle and Steep turn 45 Degrees, Full Flap too to maximise lift loss - quicker descent. Wing Fires requiring a SLIP IN FLIGHT - ensure the wing the examiner has declared is alight is the one the slip puts in the lead i. e. the slip is toward. Theory there is the added exposure can 'blow the fire out' as it was put to me. Finally there is the ENGINE OUT procedure (TIP - On takeoff keep one hand covering the throttle, some Flight Examiners having a habit of pulling it close to the ground if they have the opportunity!) PPL Procedure I learned as FM CHIMP will apply - I E check Fuel shut-off valve, Mixture to rich Carburetor Heat activated, check Ingition, Master switch and finally the Primer. ALWAYS USE YOUR CHECKLIST nevertheless - any opportunity to show good Flight Discipline will increase your chances of hearing that coveted 'Im Pleased To Inform You' rather than 'Failing to Prepare is Preparing to Fail' as advocated in previous postings.

I cannot think of any other emergencies that you will be tested upon but I will ask around my contacts. I hope that you have found my posting useful, especially the Spin Training experience.

Whirlygig
13th Feb 2010, 09:20
Pilotmike, as a Frauobergruppenfuhrer in the Spelling and Grammar Polizei, I do think you're being a tad harsh on the boy. It's not the worst post on here by a long chalk. Not many schools place that much importance on spelling and grammar now unfortunately so it may not be laziness on the part of the original poster but ignorance of what is correct.

Pilotboy 95, (is '95 the year in which you were born?) a piece of friendly (if you like, motherly) advice. This forum is read by some very experienced, qualified, senior and important aviation people. Please give them a good impression by writing correctly. This isn't a forum frequented by your own peers who are happy to accept text speak and poor spelling; it is frequented by old farts like me (and Mike) who apprecriate the time and care taken to use correct spelling and grammar. This effort shows that you have good manners (which I'm sure you do) and have respect for the person to whom you are addressing your posts.

With reference to your original post, pop down to your local flying school and ask to have a chat with an instructor.

Cheers

Whirls

adverse-bump
13th Feb 2010, 09:30
Fantastic, another young budding pilot comes asking for advice (advise) and gets nothing more than abuse. Where is the team spirt with you lot! You're all in the same boat, if you took the time to share your experiences, what to expect when, expenses you hadn't considered you might even find the whole process a little easier.

pilotboy, it was along time ago I was in your position. It can be very confusing. Take an evening and read through that 'sticky' tread. There is some good advice on there, there is also ALOT of crap (similar to the childish ramblings demonstrated by a couple of people on here.)

The first big decision you will need to make, is if you want to go down the integrated or modular route (or given that it might be a few years before you start, you could consider the MPL (multi pilot license), which Im sure in 5 years time will be much more common.

Id take a look at these web sites, they have good advice. again take an evening and have a read through.

Welcome to Bristol.gs (http://www.bristol.gs)
GAPAN - The Guild of Air Pilots & Air Navigators (http://www.gapan.org)

pilotboy 95
14th Feb 2010, 22:14
I want to do my ppl as young as possible because it takes time to become a pilot who is respected and responsable for everyone in his plane. I am thinking of training at biggin hill because it is the closest airport near my home and the cheapest to get to. At biggin hill their is a club which I would like to do my training at. This is because it is cheaper than a school, however I will need to do work such as washing and cutting grass. I like this idea but I don't know if i would have the time because my gcse's are coming up in about 1 and a half years and everyone is putting ALOT of presure on me.
Should i wait untill after gcse's or do the training during gcse's.( how much will getting a ppl affect my school work)

adverse-bump
15th Feb 2010, 00:16
you may want to rethink the respected bit! :}

you cant go solo until your 16, and cant get a ppl until your 17. it is not unheard of for people to go solo on there 16th birthday, or take the skills test on there 17th.

your school studies are important. as will be your college education.