PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Dongle ?

tony draper
12th Feb 2010, 20:12
Neigbours son has a prob with his wireless kit(why anyone would want wireless when a good stout copper cable is infinitely more reliable defeats me though)
Anyway he brings machine to the Towers and seeks one's help after much fannying about deleting and reloading drivers and such one got the bloody thing to work,worked ok after switch off and reboot but if I removed the dongle plugged into usb socket then rebooted, then reinsert same it asks g for the driver disk and reloads the driver,surely it the stupid thing should keep the dongle driver stashed away somewhere on the hard disk?is this normal?
:confused:

Saab Dastard
12th Feb 2010, 20:25
Are you inserting the device back into the same USB port?

SD

hellsbrink
12th Feb 2010, 20:37
Precisely, SD

The driver is loaded in and assigned to specific USB port. If you unplug the dongle and then stick said doofer into another port then things can go base over apex.

SOME of them things do behave properly and detect a different port (through windows), but others do not. Normally when they don't you can, when it asks for the disk, click on "browse", then pick "<the drive with winblows on it, normally C:> \windows\system32" and then the driver should be there in the "drivers" folder. But even Winders can figure that out once you tell it where to look in system32, most of the time.

(The above is for EcksPee)

tony draper
12th Feb 2010, 20:43
Ah ok that explains it,thanks chaps,had probs with a usb TV tuner I have on the Draper super puter and that explains that as well shifted the buggah to the USB sockets on the front,summat else, I got four USB sockets on the back of the machine and two on the front,will these all be USB 2 or would a couple be usb 1?
:)

Saab Dastard
12th Feb 2010, 21:47
You can ensure that it always works by putting the dongle into every possible port and loading the drivers each time. It will then behave properly whichever hole you stick it in (oo-err missus).

Tedious, but effective.

SD

tony draper
12th Feb 2010, 22:01
yer I got that now,just when I plugged the tuner into a particuler USB socket I got a messeage saying it would work better on usb 2,this is a new up to date swift machine put together by one's own sweaty hand quite recently one had assumed all the USB sockets would be usb2 now.
Just puzzled one a tad.
:)

Keef
12th Feb 2010, 22:41
Have ye perhaps got a USB hub in the circuit? Some of they aren't quite up with the ferrets when it comes to performance.

new-build PC should be all USB2.0 . I'd be pretty miffed if anything bought in the last two years were anything less.

Anything that wants a driver gets a copy stuffed into the Win/System32/Drivers folder. If it complains, it gets told to look in there. After a while, it takes the hint and stops bothering me.

Saab Dastard
12th Feb 2010, 23:18
If you put a new mobo in an old case, and the case has USB 1.1 sockets in the front, then no matter what the USB version on the mobo, if you connect the 1.1 ports to the mobo, they will remain 1.1.

That is my experience.

SD