PDA

View Full Version : SACAA to JAR

alphalima
12th Feb 2010, 01:26
Hey All,
Im not sure if this subject has been mentioned or not, but i couldn't find anything useful.
I was just wondering, me being an Irish passport holder, if i do my PPL+CPL in South Africa, what would be required to do a conversion back home?
Thanks in advance

pilot_r
12th Feb 2010, 05:43
Hey,

Please guys correct me if I'm wrong but I've been looking at the same kind of thing and this is what I've been told...

With an ICAO CPL you can do a JAR conversion course which is a mimimum of 5 hours in an Arrow or equivalent, what sort of training/tests that involves I honestly can't say.

If you got your IR in South Africa it starts getting pricey.
You will need a minimum of 15 hours training, 5 being in a Seneca or equivalent and the other 10 can be sim time and an IR flight test after that.

There are still a few more things. You'll need your RT licence, night rating and exams need to be passed in Europe. A European Class 1 Medical will be necessary too.

That's what I've been told anyway - definitely not a cheap way to do things...Have a look at 43 Air School down near Port Alfred. I had a few mates there and they're able to do a JAR course from scratch. If not for the cost and circumstances in South Africa I would have chosen them if I didn't move over here.

Hope that helps...
Ross

whiskey1
12th Feb 2010, 07:15
Don't forget the ATPL Theory course and the 14 ATPL Exams first.

W1

ab33t
12th Feb 2010, 08:35
The JAA system hardly takes ant prior certification into account , it is better to do the JAA from scratch . For example if you hold any ICAO CPL you could go and sit the FAA exam ,3rd class medical and do the check ride with no training .