PDA

View Full Version : Captain Biff Windsock

Foie gras
11th Feb 2010, 10:17
Look out for the Captain!
He's flying around the world in his beautifully restored 1944 bright red D17S Beechcraft Staggerwing.
Currently in Esperence,WA., on his way to Perth then Darwin, then the 'Nam.
Inspiration is a word that springs to mind.
I hope when I'm 75 years of age, I can walk, let alone fly a biplane.

His website is:-

Around the world in a Staggerwing | D-17S Beechcraft | Captain Biff Windsock | William M. Charney | Reno, NV (http://www.captainbiff.com)

onetrack
11th Feb 2010, 13:38
Great story, and an inspiring old fella! Where is he landing in Perth, and is the good Capn' and his lovely piece of antique flying history, open to visitation by the public at any particular time?

PLovett
11th Feb 2010, 21:29
Gawd, most people at 75 are afraid to buy unripe bananas. :}

Foie gras
12th Feb 2010, 22:01
P love, Good Call!

Looks like he's landed at a private airstrip near Perth.
His immediate plans??

triton140
12th Feb 2010, 23:42
Looks like it's Mundijong - I think there's a Stearman based there ...

onetrack
12th Feb 2010, 23:51
The good Captain is a little recalcitrant about his movements, and his travel journal is a week behind his movements. I note that he arrived in Perth yesterday afternoon - but without any fanfare or even notice from him that he'd arrived. I would have thought the media would have picked up on him by now.
I emailed him via his website to see if he's amenable to any contact or visitation by the general public, but I haven't got a reply, and there's no indication of how often he checks his emails. Neither is there any indication of how long he's staying in Perth. I get the impression he'll be gone very quickly, he seems pretty keen to keep moving.

Blueskymine
13th Feb 2010, 01:37
http://www.aviationtrader.com.au/page/View+Ad?&ad=10feb30t.pdf

Is this his??

onetrack
13th Feb 2010, 02:14
There is no indication of Captain Biffs D17S aircraft registration on his website, but I would presume he's wearing U.S. registration? The one pictured for sale is perhaps VH-FNS?

Aircraft Hire - Cessna, Piper, Beechcraft, de Havilland and more - Sydney, Australia (http://airborne-aviation.com.au/aircraft/)

EDIT - Ooops, my error - the registration is there, I missed it, it's N16S ....

Aircraft N16S Photo by GeeDee9 (http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/295437.html)

It seemed a little at odds to have his plane for sale, at the same time as he has great plans for a round-the-world jaunt.

Stationair8
15th Feb 2010, 09:11
Some nice photos and an article in last Thursday's Herald-Sun.

onetrack
25th Feb 2010, 05:28
The good Cap'n Biff has eventually replied to my email to him, after 13 days (he's obviously a busy man) - and he has advised, that he'll be giving a short talk at the Royal Aero Club, "Old Timers Meeting" (along with other featured speakers), at noon tomorrow (26th Feb, 2010).
He has very kindly asked me to join them, and I am presuming that this is a "general public" invitation, although he hasn't specifically stated that.
His Beechcraft Staggerwing will be on display outside the Aero Club, along with Kevin Baileys Stinson Reliant. I'll be taking the camera .... :ok:

Flightwatch
24th Jun 2011, 18:28
Just to update those of you who may have met Bill whilst he was Down Under, I had dinner with him last night in Cyprus. He got here in February and having had a break at home should be back on his travels next week.

He routed via Port Hedland - Bali (the longest sector, 7+ hours) - Malaysia - Thailand (where he was refused permission to enter 'Nam, maybe his 200 missions in F-100s may have had something to do with it?) - Burma, India, Oman - Bahrein - Jordan and so to Cyprus.

He plans on the Greek Islands next, then on to Italy and Spain wintering somewhere in Central Europe and then trans Atlantic next year. He is in as irrespressible good humour as ever and gave us a very entertaining presentation of his travels so far.

Foie gras
25th Jun 2011, 07:57
Thanks for the update F/W.
An incredible effort, especially that Port Headland to Bali leg.
Sad to hear that he wasn't allowed into the 'Nam.