PDA

View Full Version : Future of other military SAR cover after introduction of SAR-H?

AonP
10th Feb 2010, 20:51
Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but with the SAR-H contact being introduced from 2012 what will the impact be on overseas SAR cover provided by the RAF? Who will man the Falklands and with what ac? What is the future for Cyprus with civillian ac mil crews?

Also whilst we are on overseas SAR cover, what is the deal in Gibraltar? Surely we cant be reliant on the Spaniards?

Finally, what is going to happen with long range SAR? Currently long range and top cover is done by the Nimrod MR2. Are we accepting a gap until MRA4 comes in or is another airframe capable? Longer term will the RAF still fulfil this obligation that we have (hundreds of miles into the Atlantic if I remember correctly)?

Sorry for all the questions, but as usual with privatisation, it seems to bring up more questions than answers!

AonP

getsometimein
10th Feb 2010, 21:29
Finally, what is going to happen with long range SAR? Currently long range and top cover is done by the Nimrod MR2. Are we accepting a gap until MRA4 comes in or is another airframe capable? Longer term will the RAF still fulfil this obligation that we have (hundreds of miles into the Atlantic if I remember correctly)?
Covered a million times before on this forum...

IF there is a requirement for long range MPA, then its likely that the C130 fleet would cover it.

If all you need is a search asset and top cover, then an E3 might well be the best asset.

pasptoo
10th Feb 2010, 21:44
Long Range SAR cover ! , most times the Nimbats can't support for various reasons, last year the DASA stats recorded 12 sorties, ooh! I agree E3 or C130 could fill the gap.

stbd beam
10th Feb 2010, 21:52
been said a million times here too - absolutely no disrespect to the others mentioned but don't expect anywhere near the service you'd get from a Nimrod when bobbing in your dinghy at 20 west! Assuming it was serviceable i admit...

Tallsar
10th Feb 2010, 23:06
The FI det will be manned by those mil crews part of the SAR-H force at any one time (will mean lots of dets down there as there will only be 66 mil aircrew in SAR-H) - although it also depends what type is used down there for SAR - or if indeed we still have anything down there after the next Defence Review!!!

Cyprus also may have gone by then, otherwise it will continue to be mannd by SAR experienced aircrew from either SAR-H (post their tour on that UK SAR job) or those of the older generation from the SK force. The whole point of having 66 mil aircrew in SAR-H at any one time is to ensure there is always a given level of SAR experienced aircrew feeding back into the JHC for overseas use especially on detachment, wars etc.

Cheers
PS
The demise of a proper martime "professional" platform for L/R SAR cover is a feat of ar*e as far as I'm concerned - as a nation so dependent on the sea for our trade and ultimate survival. Very Very Sad.....

Ivan Rogov
11th Feb 2010, 00:18
Pasptoo, statistics can be used to reflect anything you want. From the DASA site 1999 to 2009 I make the average annual SAR callouts for Nimrod 44. I would suggest that the ARCC might well have wanted more than the 13 sorties in 2009, but that the Nimrod was unavailable for a variety of reasons. Unfortunately I couldn't see any record of the number of times they needed one but couldn't have it, hopefully they always ask officially (even when the aircraft is declared off state) to record the fact, otherwise the figures will not justify a requirement for long range SAR. It wouldn't be the first time we have shot ourselves in the foot by thinking it was helpful trying to make do with what is available, then finding out too late that decisions have been made and all we have done is paper over the cracks :ugh: and the stats don't support us.

TorqueOfTheDevil
11th Feb 2010, 16:40
E3 might well be the best asset

But would they ever get there in time to achieve anything? An E-3 chap told me not long ago that it takes an awfully long time to launch one. Besides, does the E-3 fleet have enough people or airframes to man a 24/7 readiness? And who can guarantee that there will be an E-3 fleet in a year's time? No offence, but it seems a very long time since they did anything, and following the appalling decision to scrap the Nimrod, noone's safe!

Guzlin Adnams
11th Feb 2010, 18:54
Thought they were sending a couple out to Stan to assist with air control soon?

dilly
11th Feb 2010, 19:13
It was in the media that they sent a couple of E3s before Christmas

camelspyyder
11th Feb 2010, 20:11
dilly

Yes I noticed. Funny how they (E3) always find something to be seen doing whenever the rumours of cuts begin again...:hmm:

CS