PDA

View Full Version : Is Jetstar commutable??

ringer2008
10th Feb 2010, 01:13
Hi guys

just wondering if your based in Darwin is it possible to commute back to Brisbane if yo have your family there?

Socket
10th Feb 2010, 02:56
You are highly unlikely to get anywhere out of Darwin with J*.

Not enough passengers, you don't fly, says airline | Northern Territory News | Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia | ntnews.com.au (http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2010/02/10/122591_ntnews.html)

TurbTool
10th Feb 2010, 03:21
It is possible but not easy. There are daily services.

The rostering system only allows for a limited number of Day Off requests and it is not easy to get more than 2 days off in a row.

The Company does not assist pilots who wish to commute with special rostering.

LetsGoRated
10th Feb 2010, 04:18
That depends. Are you portable?

AerocatS2A
10th Feb 2010, 05:24
I asked the recruiting lady that question (shortly after telling her I wasn't interested in the current round of recruiting) and to her credit she researched it and rang me back. The answer was that it is technically possible but travel would be in your own time and staff travel is not available until you've been in the company for 6 months. It certainly sounded like they wouldn't go out of there way to accommodate it but they wouldn't stop you from living in Sydney and making your own way to work if you REALLY wanted to.

I took that as a long winded "no".

The Hill
10th Feb 2010, 08:31
I assume Darwin is the only base going at the moment with new hires?

Metro man
10th Feb 2010, 12:18
Most jobs can be commutable depending how much you value living somewhere else and how much expense and inconvenience you are willing to endure.

Keep the cost down by sharing a place in Darwin. Find understanding collegues who can help with the odd duty swap. Above all avoid getting caught out and missing flights.

Consider moving the family up there, they may enjoy the experience. Obviously easier with small children.

Long John Silver
10th Feb 2010, 18:32
I assume the A330 roster would be slightly easier to commute? Longer trips, longer rest periods?

ringer2008
10th Feb 2010, 22:57
yes the 330 would be but jetstar is only interviewing for domestic and darwin base. I am a big believer in you should never judge a pilot by his experience but you should judge him by his performance. (In other words some 500 hour pilots are safer than some 10,000 hour pilots) but is jetstar going to be able to get experienced guys to move to darwin? great place but when you have kids set up in school it really does limit you. I have been offered an interview would love to work for jetstar but simply cannot move because of kids and all that.

grrowler
11th Feb 2010, 03:55
A couple of mates started recently - both told Darwin, but had opportunity to take other bases before they finished their endorsements from what I can understand. I wouldn't be holding my breath for Jetstar to advertise for Brisbane based positions - they want people "happy" to move where they want you.