PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts Renting?

Muvo85
9th Feb 2010, 21:42
Hi guys.

Can anybody recommend a good place to rent in the Boston, Ma area this coming September on my FAA PPL? Willing to travel to neighboring states also.
Thank you.
M85.

Heliplane
10th Feb 2010, 11:01
Haven't flown in the region for ages (15 years) but Four Star Aviation at Lawrence (KLWM) was very friendly and the field itself has a 5,000' lit runway with ILS and VOR approaches.

Mungo5
10th Feb 2010, 14:18
M85.. where about's are you flying - Norwood or Hanscom? (KOWD, KBED), or does that not matter?

Both have a decent selection of rentals, both are decent size fields with full FBO's.

Muvo85
10th Feb 2010, 14:57
Hi Mungo5,

It doesn't matter really, I will be staying in Lowell, Ma. I tried contacting East Coast Aero Club in Nashua and Bedford. That was over a week ago and still no reply. It seems strange to me as I thought in these difficult times aircraft rental places would be looking for business not ignoring it!!
So, if you can recommend anywhere else in MA or even NH.
Thanks to Heliplane for your suggestion, much appreciated.
Thanks again,
M85.

Mungo5
10th Feb 2010, 16:06
Give ECAS a ring, they're still there, and have a good collection of aircraft, less on R22 that was rolled this summer.

You could also try the FOB's at Beverly - KBVY, Lawrence - KLWM or Nashua - KASH.

clunckdriver
10th Feb 2010, 17:59
Make sure you jump through all the security hoops or you wont be doing any flying, dual or solo.

Muvo85
10th Feb 2010, 20:39
Hi clunkdriver,

Could you elaborate on your post please?
When I did my FAA PPL in America in 2007 I had to jump through lots of hoops, how could I forget!!
But, do I have to do all that again to rent?
Can I not just show up at an FBO in the middle of my vacation with my license & medical and go fly (dual/solo)?
Apologies for my ignorance/naivety on this issue but I have never rented a/c in the US.
Thanks,
M85.

Pitts2112
10th Feb 2010, 22:58
Muvo,
A couple of other places to think about are Minuteman Airfield in Stow, MA and Marlboro Airfield.

Minuteman in Stow is great. Mike Guilian, the well-known airshow pilot, is based there. Haven't spent much time there in years but I did my first-ever airplane ride there and it still seems to have the very friendly, small-town airport kind of feel, including a great cafe. You'll spend your time flying, not taxiing for miles or waiting for a bunch of biz stuff to work the pattern. If you get lucky, you may find a warbird or two sitting around as the Collings Foundation is based nearby and, I believe, they stop in every once in a while.

Marlboro has less stuff (no cafe, at least not 30 years ago when I was doing my training there at the tender age of 15) but has a nice feel and a very small runway plus some interesting stuff around the place. The runway ends at the road that goes by the field - there's only a chainlink fence (with a STOP sign) separating the two! Great for small field practice if you fancy it.

Take a trip up to Hampton just over the NH border for a great grass strip less than a mile from the beach. They've got Cubs and stuff there but require renters to have their own insurance, so that may put some off (it did me when I showed up on spec).

Have fun and let us know how you get on!

Muvo85
29th Sep 2010, 11:13
Hey guys I'm heading to Boston in November.
Got in contact with ECAC in Bedford, Hanscom. Gonna rent a PA28 from them as I have flown them before at FSA in Florida.
When training in Florida I used to fly to large Intl. airports such as MIA and MCO, it was great and there was no problem getting in or out in a PA28 just wondering if any of you know how easy it is to do the same into KBOS?
Thanks.

MrHorgy
29th Mar 2012, 20:32
I hate to bump old old threads, but i too am interested in GA at Boston Logan - does it exist?

Horgy