PDA

View Full Version : Avionics Engineering in Queensland or NSW

hugel
9th Feb 2010, 10:43
I am considering moving over from central Europe to Queensland or NSW. My profession is aerospace engineering (specifically avionics design), and I would appreciate any pointers toward the prospects to obtain work in this field ? Who are the main companies performing aviation or aerospace development in this region ?

Many thanks
hugel

IAW
9th Feb 2010, 11:45
Boeing have their regional headquarters in Brisbane, QLD. There is a large defence base at Amberley, southwest of Brisbane so I am sure there are plenty of companies that support them such as BAE Systems.

The main jobs websites here are SEEK (http://www.seek.com.au) and careerone.com.au (http://www.careerone.com.au) . Good luck!

PyroTek
9th Feb 2010, 13:52
Possibly have a look at prospects at the University of Queensland also? They are doing research on the scramjet project. It probably doesn't have much to do with avionics, but worth a try anyway :ok:

hugel
9th Feb 2010, 14:57
Thanks for the answers..

The QUT is on my list for a possible venue for a PhD ! They seem to be one of the few universities that openly advertise avionics research....

hugel

Jabawocky
9th Feb 2010, 20:53
I am sure there are the odd opportunities from time to time and mostly military oriented.

I employ a degree qualified avionics engineer, he spent a few years working at Complete Avionics on the Gold Coast doing upgrade designs and installations, mostly drawings, integrating new avionics into older aircraft and helicopters. Found that a bit boring, so now he makes an outstanding industrial automation engineer.

Problem is there is not a massive scope here, companies like Garmin, Raytheon Thales come to mind, but they are not here.......as best we know:suspect:

All the best in your search!

tail wheel
10th Feb 2010, 05:00
Thales are in Australia and in a fairly big way.

THALES (http://www.thalesgroup.com/Countries/Australia/Home/)

Clearedtoreenter
10th Feb 2010, 09:44
Mate, If you could downgrade just a bit, there's a massive shoratge of avionics 'engineers' (using the term loosely) in GA here. Licence to print money. Charge what you like, do half a job, treat your customers like cr@p, Can't go wrong! :O

Jabawocky
10th Feb 2010, 11:32
Thales are in Australia and in a fairly big way.

Taily

Have to agree with you there, however, are they doing Avionics design and devlopment here?

There may be many avionics applications for the military however I dare say they are boxes of goodies with sales and support. no doubt there are some engineers involved in that role, but if you are a budding avionics engineer, you want to be involved at the nitty gritty end of the deal.

Like I said......Garmin, Raytheon and even Thales come to mind, but I wonder HOW MUCH design and manufacture they do here. And as I said as best we know. Thales have a much bigger presence here than anyone I guess, but the meat and spuds is from OS............I believe.

I hope that clears that up, but if I am wrong, shoot me down with some Thales techno bits! :eek:

J:ok:

hugel
10th Feb 2010, 13:39
I suspect there may be security issues for performing military work as a non Australian national. That would limit opportunities to a new arrival for quite a while...

hugel

Ogre
15th Feb 2010, 01:36
Hugel

See your PMs

Ogre

Arnold E
15th Feb 2010, 11:04
Jeez Clearedtoreenter, would seem you have had a problem with an avionics LAME at some time in the past.:eek:

BogeyBoy
17th Feb 2010, 06:43
You could always give Qantas a call - they have about a dozen avionics engineers and may be after more. Don't expect the big red rat to roll out the red carpet for you though - their PE engagement is at an all time low following the EBA "negotiation" and the recent restructure.