PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Wages

breakfastburrito
8th Feb 2010, 20:22
It seems so many other good threads descend into an argument about wages, I have started this one to contain the mess in a single place. Please keep it out of the other threads.
Play nicely in the sandpit kids, or it will be sent to Jetblast...

Howard Hughes
8th Feb 2010, 20:44
Tell him he's dreamin son...:E

speed-brake
8th Feb 2010, 20:55
Well Tiger's pay claim which should go through very shortly will effectively pay them more than JQ crews.

68+iou1
8th Feb 2010, 21:36
A320 in Europe, taking home (in my hand!) euro 7 500 per month.
P.S Max 900 hrs a year.

slamer.
8th Feb 2010, 22:34
You'll never get honest replies on this. People tend to quote the highest pay and the lowest hours they flew in the last 5 years.

In my opinion its not only about good $$ but also good conditions, one without the other will eventually leave you feeling ... "its time to move on"

FireBatHero
9th Feb 2010, 05:26
last financial year..$178 677.42
2nd year FO 744 QF (8th year total SYD Base)

novice110
9th Feb 2010, 05:35
How much more did you make on allowances?
Or is $178 including everything?

thinking pilot
9th Feb 2010, 06:33
Hi All

Last FYI, $12001.

Captain Cessna 337, based in Wagga.

Bye the way my first officer made approx $7000:uhoh:

ampclamp
9th Feb 2010, 06:39
good grief , talk about love jobs! That is a disgrace!

assasin8
9th Feb 2010, 09:08
You have a F/O on a Cessna 337?:confused:

onezeroonethree
9th Feb 2010, 09:37
Bye the way my first officer made approx $7000

Fairly sure centrelink pays bludgers more than that... ouch

Towering Q
9th Feb 2010, 09:47
A Mix-Master Capt deserves 120K!! :cool:

Gas Bags
9th Feb 2010, 12:34
68+iou1,

Shortchanged??? Whats in your hand after living expenses in "EUROPE"!!!

Move to Asia..............

GB

68+iou1
9th Feb 2010, 13:40
Nope.
I’m living in Spain on the beach. Very civilized!
Where are you living, rich man?

Sceva161
12th Feb 2010, 20:59
Paid as a 'Contractor' for my flying services (flying school/charter).
Made approx $30k last year, but only get paid for what I fly!

Fly 1/2 hour, wait on ground 8 hours, fly back = get paid 1 hours work....!

Anyone else have this style of pay????????!!!????

M14_P
12th Feb 2010, 21:17
Hi Sceva,
Yep same as you. I have a business on the side to balance things out though. Contracting has it's pos and negs as with everything, but I am certainly finding the positives outway the negs. :)

cheers,

Sceva161
12th Feb 2010, 23:36
M14

Yeah it does have some pro's - I know the boss hates paying out a $3000 pay cheque when it happens! Problem is the next 3 weeks might rain and I get NOTHING!

My biggest issue is as a 'Contractor', I have to apply and pay WORKCOVER/Insurances, my own 9% Super and I'm not allowed to fly for anyone else (would expect the sack from current employer), even though law states if over 80% of time is to one company they are an EMPLOYER, not a 'customer' as I would see them now... And they dictate my start/finish times...

...now I'm just complaining like a kid...
Sorry

Anthill
13th Feb 2010, 02:01
Then Sceva, you are an employee and this 'employer' is taking you for a big ride. Report this company to the authorities.

Led Zep
13th Feb 2010, 02:51
I think it was tailwheel who made an excellent post concerning "contractors" that you'd do well to read, Sceva161.

M14_P
13th Feb 2010, 03:55
I agree with Anthill, that is rediculous. I contract for two aeroclubs, and two other part 135 operators. If there was anything in my contracts which said that I have to work exclusively, I'd have never signed them....
PM me if you like.

cheers,

m14

bushy
13th Feb 2010, 04:59
A long time ago in Adelaide I did casual work for a number of operators at the same time and made a modest income. Many years later I was employing pilots and found that it was not a satisfactory way of running a business. I found that pilots were not always available when I needed them, as they were not earning enough and had other jobs. One bloke used to alweays get home from charter flights earlier than anyone else, and I found that he did this in order to get to his other job on time. Generally casual pilots are broke and unhappy, and this is not good for the pilot or the operator. The only casual pilot I could rely on was a bloke who had his own business. He could drop his work and go flying when he wanted to. But he did the absolute minimum and hurried his planning. So I stopped employing casual pilots. It's not usually a satisfactory arrangement for anyone.
Later I saw a friend "go bush" to operate a C210 at a remote locatio where he was to be paid on an hourly basis only. it was a disaster. He hardly got any hours at all.

Anthill
13th Feb 2010, 06:21
25 years ago, I did casual/contractor flying. I charged/was paid $125 per day VFR and $175/day IFR. Sceva, if I were you charge a day rate rater than hourly. That way your time is not wasted if you aren't flying. Either that or contract out at $300 per hour. I suggest that you join AFAP and get their legal people on the case. Quite plainly you are being blatantly exploited. I would bet that your employer is charging you out at a day rate yet only paying you by the hour.

(This all reminds me of the plight of a mate in the mid-'80s who was doing charters in a Baron somewhere in outback QLD. He had to live in the hanger (to guard the aeroplane and office) and was paid as a 'casual' at $30 per flying hour. He still had to be at the airfield 24/7 to clean things and answer the 'phone. In his 2nd week, he flew 30 hrs and so was paid for that week as a 'full-time' pilot (ie: less than $400) rather than the $900 he was owed. Needless to say, he didn't stay.)

Sceva161
14th Feb 2010, 02:16

Getting paid by the hour that I FLY (theory, waiting time away from base not covered, meals only repaid by claiming on the GST @ end of year), just for the record.

Hope my complaining may have helped some other people in the same position!
Thanks for the replies guys, massive help..! (not even my original thread!)