PDA

View Full Version : Which airline economy class LHR-HKG

chillcoat
8th Feb 2010, 13:01
Hi,
I am going to Hong Kong in September for the first time and am looking for people’s advice on which economy class is the best. In terms of price I could choose Qantas, Air NZ or Cathay for ~£450 so there’s nothing to choose from. I flew with Air NZ before and appreciated the large seat pitch (I am quite tall) but Cathay’s new seat design sounds interesting, I’ve heard mixed reviews on its comfort for a long flight.
Thanks in advance,
Chris

raffele
8th Feb 2010, 14:07
From what I've heard the new seat on Cathay Pacific is frightfully uncomfortable.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably plump for Air New Zealand

rgsaero
8th Feb 2010, 16:14
I recommend Air NZ. That's the first half of the London AKL route and I shall be on it in March, going the whole way! The best trick is to get an aisle seat on the "outer" ie window row of three, and if possible get the furthest row back. Pitch is as OK as anything can be in Econ, and about the same in the 777s and 74s. Enjoy!

jetjockeyusa
10th Feb 2010, 14:04
My opinion: Pick the cheapest one. Unless you are flying Singapore Airlines I doubt you will get any "worth paying more for to fly with" options.

HandyAndy
10th Feb 2010, 22:11
Cathay Y seats take a bit of getting used to. A pillow correctly positioned at the lower back makes it more comfortable.
The best thing about it is there are no seat backs in your lap.
It's what you make of it.:)

ulxima
13th Feb 2010, 18:24
Route flown two weeks ago.
Economy, Air France.
Good.

Ciao
Ulxima

jetjockeyusa
13th Feb 2010, 18:31
With Air France's horrible maintenance records and accident rates, I would not ever fly with those even if they offer me money to fly first class.

ulxima
13th Feb 2010, 18:55
With Air France's horrible maintenance records and accident rates

Yeah, I told the same thing today to my wife.
However, if I am not mistaken, you took a Swiss flight (from Brazil?) and Swiss staistics are worse than Air France.

By the way, I fly Swiss and I am a satisfied Swiss customer.

Ciao
Ulxima

Sobelena
13th Feb 2010, 20:35
With Air France's horrible maintenance records and accident rates, I would not ever fly with those even if they offer me money to fly first class.

:hmm: could say the same for American Airlines' safety record!

groundog
14th Feb 2010, 08:36
At end of September Qatar Airways via DOH quotes GBP395 and Aeroflot via MOW GBP460.. :8

ulxima
14th Feb 2010, 13:26
Aeroflot via MOW GBP460

Maybe I will use this route at the end of March and let you know...

Ciao
Ulxima