PDA

View Full Version : My laptop is misbehaving

Glamgirl
7th Feb 2010, 13:17
Hi everyone,

Some of you might know that my computer skills aren't the best... I'm having problems switching my laptop on. Basically, what happens is this:

Switch on laptop, the green power light comes on, as does the caps lock and num lock lights. There is no action from the little light that indicates the hard disk (or whatever it's called) is working. The "fan" comes on, so there is power, but nothing else happens. The screen is black. The laptop is plugged into the mains, so it's got power.

It first happened yesterday, but after trying a couple of times, it worked fine. I've tried at least a dozen times today, but no luck.

Has anyone an idea as to what I need to do? Buy a new one? Take it to tech support (not that I have one)?

I'm typing this from my old old laptop, which hasn't been switched on for years. As long as I don't move it, it works, but it's not ideal...

Thanks for any help!

Gg

frostbite
7th Feb 2010, 14:28
Sounds very much like your hard drive has keeled over.

If you're really lucky, then the connections to it have come adrift.

Either way, it doesn't sound like a DIY job.

Keef
7th Feb 2010, 15:19
Not so sure it's the hard disk. Before that springs into life, the BIOS and display driver should come to life. If the hard disk were ill, you would get a screen saying something like "Invalid boot device".

Sounds to me like you need to take it to a qualified (or capable) repairer.

ZEEBEE
7th Feb 2010, 15:33
GlamGirl,

That's exactly what happened to my HP2133 Mini (twice now).

Each time it was a new motherboard replaced under warranty which I'm told is a fairly common occurrence on the HP2133.

The latest MotherBoard revision is supposed to have fixed the issue.

I've found another fix.

I went and bought an Apple macBook pro and don't use the HP any more thus ensuring it doesn't happen again.
Never looked back. The Apple is just brilliant ! (Thanks HP)

timmcat
7th Feb 2010, 15:33
Geez you are one high maintenance friend... :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same as Frostbite but Keef has a very valid point. I seem to think I've a lappy upstairs somewhere which suffered similar symptoms which I couldnt cure.

CMOS battery maybe?

Another thing to try is to disconnect from the mains, remove the main battery, leave it out for an hour, put it all back and try again.

Give me a ring tomorrow if you're still stuck.

BOAC
7th Feb 2010, 15:36
Suggest a quick 'Google' on (unspecified) make and your symptom (eg HP Pavillion da-de-da and no BIOS screen shown on bootup, or whatever)? I have heard of some laptops where you need to go through a battery removal/power cycle to clear a 'blockage' and again a Bios battery removal or clear the bios with another type.

Of course, it could be b******d (technical term) - have you dropped it in the bath or on the floor?:)

Glamgirl
7th Feb 2010, 21:40
Thanks for your input, everyone.

Someone should expect a phone call tomorrow...

I think the laptop is a gonner. I've ordered a new one, which should arrive within 5 working days. How will I survive??

I appreciate your suggestions, even though I don't know what a motherboard is or that I can't really search anything on this old old just-came-back-from-retirement-in-a-box laptop.

Hopefully I'll be able to recover the stuff on the hard drive (?) at some point, such as letters/documents and pictures. :ooh:

Gg

MrBernoulli
7th Feb 2010, 22:28
You mean you didn't back up your important stuff GG? Oh dear ............

Tarq57
7th Feb 2010, 23:23
Glamgirl,
Backups are a good idea, as I learned some time ago to my grief. (Lost most of my emails. Don't use OE anymore, now.)
You have all sorts of choices, from programs you install to do complete system backups to an external media - such as an external Hard drive - down to just copying important docs and photos and profiles as you choose to a disk or even a USB drive.
Some of the programs include Acronis, Norton Ghost, Macrium reflect (free) and there are quite a few others.
Good idea to do it maybe once a week, or so.

hellsbrink
8th Feb 2010, 16:08
Hopefully I'll be able to recover the stuff on the hard drive (?) at some point, such as letters/documents and pictures.

Well, this is where I am hoping that the hard disk is actually ok and something else has fritzed.

Spend some money on a USB external 2.5" HD enclosure. Remove HD from laptop and stick it into enclosure. Plug into usb port of another PC and see what happens.

One of these doohickies will do the job, could be the best £10 you spend:- AKASA AK-ENP2N-SL at PC World - Buy cheap Hard Drive Enclosures - AKASA AK-ENP2N-SL Silver External enclosure for 2.5" Hard Disk Drive (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0063598166.1265648724@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdadejihfifgicflgceggdhhmdgmj.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=536215&category_oid=)