PDA

View Full Version : EK Captain Arrested at EGHQ

Flying Spag Monster
7th Feb 2010, 07:56
Heard a disturbing rumour that an AB Captain was taken away by Immigration when he went to check in for a trip. Spent the night in the slammer until released the next morning after it was realised it was a mistake. Anyone have some more info? (EGHQ = Emirates HQ)

Murrenfan
7th Feb 2010, 08:19
Wouldn't be surprised since this place is similar to the tribal zone in Afghanistan. No human rights.

harry the cod
7th Feb 2010, 17:16
Jeeze, that sounds bad. Have the Company given him a warning yet for being absent?

H1N1
7th Feb 2010, 18:05
Arrested? Why? Did he show up for a flight not wearing his hat? :}

Fubaar
7th Feb 2010, 20:04
His suitcase weighed 24kgs.

CRUIZE
7th Feb 2010, 22:41
He didnt zip it up

Roundout
8th Feb 2010, 01:11
True story. Carted away from EGHQ in a paddy-van. Spent the night in Dubai Central Prison in his Captain's kit and was released the next day when the police realized that the charges were unfounded.

The charges and reason for his arrest?

Our wonderful HR duffed it and listed him as having absconded - this is the (sadly) ironical bit - he got arrested at sign-on for having absconded. :}

Can it get any worse?

allaru
8th Feb 2010, 02:21
And where were Inhuman Resources hiding when all this happened, must of been very amusing for them, and the other attempts at management to have a captain in the lockup over night in uniform. I hope he sat there the entire time with his hat on.

TO ALL THINKING OF COMING HERE yet another illustration of just how bad things have become, and yet another classic demonstration of the lack of respect and care that this company has for its pilot group.

Ace Springbok
8th Feb 2010, 02:51
Such sad things happening in DXB are going to be repeated in SEL as the hordes abandoned the sandpit for the land of morning calm; recent developments in KAL mirror that had happened in EK!

5star
8th Feb 2010, 04:12
Can someone, who knows the details of this story, do us a favor and email it to 7days and the UK newspapers? Time to share with the civilized world me thinks...

:eek: :eek: :eek:

fjordviking
8th Feb 2010, 05:24
Classic example of the warped thinking going on in "paradise".
Good to be watching it all from a few centuries away.

Fjordviking

Payscale
8th Feb 2010, 07:01
So who DID abscond?

Volverine
8th Feb 2010, 09:17
What the hell is this ????????????????:eek:

Volverine
8th Feb 2010, 09:24
Absconded with an active roster and assigned flight ?
I need a break

Payscale
8th Feb 2010, 09:36
Isnt that what the FDM is for????

pool
8th Feb 2010, 09:46
Unfortunately I am with the authorities and EK on this one.
The subject in person most probably had his visa recently renewed. He went through all the loops and hoops, even went to reenlist for the Identity card he had just received and paied, but which was instantly void because of the new visa. His omission was to check if the highly trained and very motivated local behind the counter did actually do his job. It's not the agents fault, because errare humanum est, especially for locals, but again it's not their fault, .... inshallah ...., it's our (expats) fault. Because of us, they have to eventually and actually work to make a living, and they basically did not expect that. As good team player the captain should have been more attentive. He additionally should have gone through a thorough trial of all his new documents and cards, as to ensure that nothing went wrong with the most zealous and highly trained process by the most motivated local agents.
So it is only correct and justified that an individual with such lack of dilligence and gratitude for the precious and most important work of a highly trained and very motivated local gets thrown in jail at least for one night. This is to educate him how to behave in this most hospitable, tolerant and welcoming place.

(just for the more simply wired: this is made up .....)

fatbus
8th Feb 2010, 11:00
Pool , you are way wrong , the event did happen as described but for other reasons and said pilot was not at fault. BTW he was treated very poorly by the police, a case of guilty until proven otherwise. Show s me thats this place is truely a joke. We are always walking a fine line everyday while we are here waiting to leave.

woodja51
8th Feb 2010, 11:07
Can anyone with the facts on this shed some light???? as on the face of it it looks extremely bad on EK management, DXB... the whole system here seems to be falling apart!!

Jeez ... you used to get bailed out when locked up on D/D and other things ( fights/disagreements ) helped out by the FMs - like Leroy... now they ( the COY) are helping chuck you in there!!!

I repeat WTF!!!!:sad:

WJA

pool
8th Feb 2010, 11:24
fatbus

again, for the simply wired: I made my contribution up!!!!!

As for the real bust, I don't know any more facts than you. I only feel it could definitely be possible, looking at the abysmal average human capability in this culture and company. Therefore my satyrical contribution ....

dooner
8th Feb 2010, 13:03
not a disturbing rumour...this one is fact

If it wasn't for the judge speaking english the next morning and looking into the file to discover it was the maid that was an absconder and not the Captain, who knows where he would be.

And yes Emirates completely absolved themselves of any knowledge, proof was in the fact the FDM couldn't be bothered to notify any senior management that a captain had been left in jail over night. Funny a pilot gets fired for taking a photo and this moron is still doing his FDM job, what a c@#t.

411A
8th Feb 2010, 13:13
Very similar to what has happened in that other bastion if middle east reality (Saudi Arabia) when the new Riyadh airport opened.
Operating Captain nearly arrested by immigration authorities on the first inbound international flight...for not having an entry visa.
However, in this case, the company was 'on top' of the situation, and kept the Captain out of jail (just) and further offered said Captain, if he was actually arrested in future, proper vittles...a ham sandwich, with either mayonnaise or mustard, his choice.:}

Bidalot
8th Feb 2010, 15:46
mate, when not knowing, why bul****ting around ?????????? Do I need to understand it ?

5star
8th Feb 2010, 15:49
pool, exactly.
i was on the same brain wavelength... It's the only strategy to survive here, being sarcastic. EK: Amen. :yuk: How low can you go...

We are sinking to new lows every week, every day. I really get sick of this place and the morons who are in charge at EK.

I hope EK gets some well deserved publicity for this farce...

climbtofl410
8th Feb 2010, 16:21
Let's not forget that this is not the first time. Just a few months ago an one of our guys was arrested while going through security simply because the officer on duty felt slighted and decided to make an example of the guy by having him arrested.

Buscat
8th Feb 2010, 18:07
The plods on duty at the airport are post-pubescent, barely-moustachioed juveniles who were smart enough to get a gov't job but not smart enough to land anything white collar. True to their culture, they are ready to find offense in any sideways look you might give when the metal detector goes off and they grunt at you - "Ughh. Shoes. Shoes."

More concerned with the perpetual flow of SMSs to and from their phone, they are found head-down at the bottom of the escalators doing absolutely nothing apart from perving on the chicks and sneaking off for a spank of the monkey when it gets too much.

No, this "bust" would've been carried out by the elite of Dubai's Finest who obviously decided it'd be safest to "take him down" at the airport when he signed on rather than apply their carefully-honed detective skills and actually go see him AT HIS F**KING HOUSE!

This EK pilot would no doubt have been visited in the Big House by one of TCAS's flunkies (like Ed) to sack him for "bringing the Emirates name into disrepute", thereby saving EK the embarrassment of having a "felon" in their midst.

They wouldn't bail him out but I'm sure his annual leave balance has already been debited for his unauthorised absence.

What a f**king three-ring circus this place has become.

Instant Hooligan
9th Feb 2010, 02:53
Buscat, you give them far to much credit....!!! "Three Ring Circus"? I would say these days it'd be lucky if it passed as a dog and pony show. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Capt Groper
9th Feb 2010, 09:14
Ok mistakes can happen, but to arrest straight away???

Suspected absconder, what do they teach at police school? We have him, Sir, so don’t think he is missing!!!

Which FDM was inefficient in his role as communicator? Isn’t it their job to help crews or was that missed in the brief of their new role.

Capt Groper
9th Feb 2010, 12:55
Apparently, our beloved fleet management, would do nothing about it, and told his wife it was not Emirates problem and she should pay bail.

This sort of statement doesn't make sense Ek Lawyer. Under UAE laws I believe that a sponsor is also responsible. So in this case the company, EK, would also be asked to respond to any legal processes. :confused:

IXNAT
9th Feb 2010, 13:09
As the old saying goes, "when you put the clowns in charge, don't be surprised if a circus breaks out."

Duffb
9th Feb 2010, 14:25
Send this info to the the European press, but I think those PC press agencies would not touch it for fear of offending the circus management.:ugh:

puff m'call
9th Feb 2010, 16:47
Hey pool, don't worry I got it :ok:

Very funny mate, and you right of course!!!!

harry the cod
9th Feb 2010, 17:20
POOL

I thought it was funny. :ok:

Your Humour is wasted on some of our more serious colleagues i'm afraid.

Harry

Firestorm
9th Feb 2010, 17:34
You are talking about Heathrow aren't you.

I've just re read it: you're talking about Dubai! The similarities are too close...

Schnowzer
10th Feb 2010, 05:51
My favourite security is Newcastle. I always feel like explaining that the Capt getting naked in front of the SLF will not make any improvement in safety but then realise there is no point. How long will it take before they spot that even if the flight deck crew have a 2000lb bomb up their anus it doesn't actually increase the risk as they are about to become a guidance system for a 750,000lb chunk of metal.

captplaystation
14th Feb 2010, 17:09
Looking from afar through binoculars (as I have no desire to come to the concrete paradise) I kinda wondered why they seemed so desperate to recruit, I am beginning to get it now.
So old Knowleseys replacement wasn't an improvement then ?

Edited to say, as I had no interest to come I didn't really read much of the other threads, OK, I have read a couple now.

Now I REALLY understand, and to think how many starry-eyed Ryanair guys still think this is some sort of an improvement :=

Flying Spag Monster
15th Feb 2010, 07:23
I guess the lesson from this is that if you get into a similar spot of bother then you are on your own. I always thought (rightly or wrongly) that if I was falsely accused of a crime or taken away by officialdom, that my sponsor might have at least a moral obligation towards my welfare. The captain in question was in an office for up to 3 hours less than 100m from the FDM and his calls for assistance were allegedly met with "its not our problem".

At least now we are all very clear where we stand should something similar happen.

EK Facts
2nd Mar 2010, 07:34
Apologies as this is a Rumour Forum, but here are the Facts: Although already mentioned, details were little sketchy. Thought this may be useful to those already here and those intending to join EK.

SAFA EK Training Capt attempted to sign on recently for his JNB flt at the EGHQ, but access was denied. Advised his FO to contact FDM. FDM (I.S) showed NO support whatsoever :ugh:
Capt held in HQ for nearly 3hrs. FMA J.M (since moved on) was contacted and then advised its not Flt Ops business to get involved! :ugh: Capt taken on joy-ride in his uniform and with crew suitcase around DXB picking up real criminals. "Invited" to spend a night in jail with a room full of dubious looking characters. Capt's rather distressed wife calls EK Welfare Help-line no. Told to look through the Yellow pages, draw Dh 50 000 and go and bail him out! This at 9pm. :D

At no time was the Capt contacted by anyone. Released following day.
Chief Pilot commented that he did not get involved personally as there was so much support from the Co. Capt recommended that there be a system in place that this type of traumatic event does not happen ever again, and if so, that communication levels were readily available and manned by suitable staff. His reply was that that was not necessary as there was "no need to alarm the pilot group!" :=

Reason for a night in Jail? Confusion over Maid absconding and name mix-up, apparently. Wonder where they thought the Capt was absconding to signing on at EGHQ in uniform???

Gentleman/Ladies. Just the FACTS, I hope you share this at the Roadshows (JNB) that are due shortly. That together with the other serious issues that are mentioned here on PPRuNe. The Recruitment team are reporting back that this Forum is damaging the recruitment process. Remind yourselves just WHO is doing that damage.

Ignore this at your own peril....:=

GoreTex
2nd Mar 2010, 11:05
a few years ago another captain ended up in jail when a local drove into his car while the captain was shopping at choitrams, 6 weeks no passport, the company didn't help at all.

nolimitholdem
2nd Mar 2010, 12:11
The Recruitment team are reporting back that this Forum is damaging the recruitment process.

I nearly fell off my chair.

No...this Forum is not damaging the recruitment process.

EMIRATES AIRLINES' ARROGANCE, SYSTEMIC DISHONESTY, AND TOTAL DISREGARD FOR THEIR EMPLOYEES RANGING FROM INCOMPETENCE, TO CASUAL NEGLECT, TO TARGETED ABUSE...is damaging the recruitment process.

This Forum is simply the medium by which their methods are being disseminated.

Fool me once....(those who already joined), and shame on you Emirates. But fool me twice? (those still coming)...Well...?!?

777boyindubai
2nd Mar 2010, 12:18
The sleazy, two-faced deceitful liars who "manage" EK are responsible for this. :ugh:

Bloody Blind Bat
2nd Mar 2010, 13:21
Looking at (and almost touching) Bondi beach through my window, at naked and half drunk European backpackers (females of course, not the "hand-holding types in head-gear....you know what I mean) while typing this,and now flying the little Bus doesn't seem like such a scrifice after all in the Land of Vegemite/Ignorant!......

Living on top of a mountain of Moolah in a desert ain't as tempting as what it is made out to be? Any takers?

You Boys hang in there.