PDA

View Full Version : Speed and amout of time running on DVD/CD writer

Loose rivets
6th Feb 2010, 19:26
I fitted a Samsung DVD writer to the home-build, and it goes well. However, I hear it running for long periods while on Flight Sim, and some other tasks seem to leave it running on full throttle.

One has to have Disk 4 in as a kind of dongle for FS. One can pop it open and the program still runs - for how long I haven't found out yet.

Needless to say, while it's running fast, its response time is splendid, but I'm wary of it conking out if it's left for long periods. (must come from aviation, where one nurses everything that rotates.:hmm:)

themidge
10th Feb 2010, 16:15
CD/DVD drives these days are very reliable and have a good life span. They are getting cheaper all the time too. I wouldn't be too worried about a desktop CD drive, they are the cheapest and easiest to replace. It's when a laptop one goes faulty that you have a bit of trouble.

I use a modified file for FS2004 so I don't have to have the CD in the drive simply because I don't want the wear and tear on the CD, I don't want to go after a replacement.

Loose rivets
10th Feb 2010, 19:54
I tried to copy the key disc, but MS wouldn't let me play that game. However, I've left the door open for quite long periods now, and it hasn't grumbled.

I seem to remember a command in the early days of CDs that let the disc run, or let it spool up on demand. I haven't seen anything pertaining to that for years.

mad_jock
10th Feb 2010, 20:19
Make an image of the disk (ISO file) and then mount it as a disk. Then you won't need it in the drive at all.

I put the links to the microsoft stuff to do this on another thread but i can't find it.

jcjeant
12th Feb 2010, 00:17
Hi,

L.R check your PM box.