PDA

View Full Version : Tending machines in corrosive environments

fling-wing_1
6th Feb 2010, 01:47
We will be operating a Hughes 500 in an island environment later this year. Curious what info folks can offer up to keep the corrosion to a minimum. My last experience was not a fun time.

Leftpedal
6th Feb 2010, 07:45
When we have been operating along coastal areas we usually hose down the blades for a couple of minutes on landing (power on). Other than that and regular inspections I dont know of anything specific. What was your last experience? BTW there is another thread on this forum, "Robinson R44 blade tip corrosion" which may be of interest.

widgeon
6th Feb 2010, 11:04
As I recall on some eurocopter models there are some extra steps you take if you are doing a major inspection before going to a salt laden environment . I thnk the RR250 had available mod that made compressor washing a bit easier

nodrama
6th Feb 2010, 12:11
Before you go, renew any old, ineffective cowling/ fairing/ access panel seals to keep the salt water from collecting in those undetectable, out-of-site places where corrosion can quietly do it's dirty work.

Touch up any paint chips and coat exposed metal areas with lacquer, PX 32, whatever is most suitable. Seal control rod ends (where the threaded eye-end screws in) with silastic/ RTV.

When there, fresh water rinse the aircraft (airframe & blades) regularly (everyday) and give it a weekly soapy wash. Don't be afraid to give hinges and the like a little squirt of WD40 afterwards.

Water rinse your engine i.a.w. maintenance manual for salt laden atmosphere.

I maintain helicopters in the UK, within 2 to 10 miles of the coast and it is surprising sometimes how fast the corrosion can set in, and where, if these simple precautions aren't carried out.

Hughes500
6th Feb 2010, 14:26
Wash the blades after every flight, other wise there will be water drops under the blades which if you lick the drop you will find it is salty then spray with Triflow. Every fortnight degrease the leading edge and spray with hardhat paint.
Look after your compressor, well worth having wheels coated if not already done. Then plenty of washes !

Bicster
7th Feb 2010, 00:35
There is a product called ACF50 that does a great job at stopping corrision and it also halts any corrosion that has started, I believe the US Navy use it on their aircraft to keep the salt at bay.

fling-wing_1
7th Feb 2010, 05:29
Thanks to all so far :ok:

Leftpedal, last time I had a 500 on a ship and it seemed to pick up corrosion on anything that rotated. Most especially the PC link bearings, no matter how much we did post flight rinses.

We have a good quantity of Corrosion X on hand and a compressor wash kit installed. I'm just hoping to keep things to a minimum this time around. :8

Hughes500
7th Feb 2010, 07:39
Try covering all bearings in black bear, looks like treacle but " sets" as a coating