PDA

View Full Version : Belgian Noratlas accident - help requested

Tankertrashnav
5th Feb 2010, 21:46
Can any one help me by pointing me in the direction of the report of an accident which occurred c 1960 when a Belgian Noratlas (I think) carrying paratroopers was shot down by a mortar shell fired during a British Army practice mortar shoot on a range in Northern Germany. I have tried a Google search but I'm obviously entering the wrong keywords, as I cant find anything.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kieron Kirk
6th Feb 2010, 06:58
The Belgian AF did not fly Noratlas but did use the C-119F/G Boxcar.

Ciarain.

T-21
6th Feb 2010, 07:38
ASN Aircraft accident Kaiser-Fraser C-119G Flying Boxcar CP45 Detmold (http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19630626-0)

with thanks to ASN.

Warmtoast
6th Feb 2010, 10:35
As someone who doesn't know, what height do mortar shells reach when fired?

Tankertrashnav
7th Feb 2010, 09:09
Thanks very much for the information so far. Getting the aircraft type wrong wasnt a good start to my research! At first glance there is very little about this on the internet, surprisingly. I see someone had requested the report of the Board of Inquiry through the Freedom of Information act in 2006, so I take it that these are not normally in the public domain. Does anyone know if these are online, or would I have to make a request as described above?

As I recall the range had been booked and the danger area correctly NOTAMed, so I assume the Boxcar captain was found at fault and the army guys exonerated, but the Board of Inquiry would presumably clear that up.

Warmtoast - When I was a young rockape I went on 3"/81mm mortar shoots, and recall the maximum range as about 2500 metres. As a mortar round is a high trajectory projectile, the apex of the trajectory must be a similar figure - certainly several thousand feet. Lots of info on trajectories here Trajectory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajectory) - good luck, my brain started hurting after about 3 minutes!