PDA

View Full Version : EK New Joiner Leave Warning

reallybored
5th Feb 2010, 18:05
I write this post simply to advise new joiners of some constraints on leave which EK might not fully explain to you. EK says you will be given 42 days of leave a year. What one may not realise however is that there are absolutley no constraints as to how many days they must award in a group. Right now EK can award you 3.5 days of leave per month every month of the year to fulfill your 42 days of leave per year. Since 8 days off a month is the minimum this will leave you with 12 days off a month continuously with no long blocks of leave. Be forewarned if you are thinking of taking 21 days of leave twice a year. This is no longer the case and we have nothing in our contract to support us. As long as you get your 42 days a year it could be in 2 to 4 days off a month and that will be it. Many first officers have been stiffed on leave with the most recent allocation. Have fun trying to go back to North America or Oz with 7 days off.

Duffb
6th Feb 2010, 07:19
So they are now following the Air Mauritius leave system. Has worked well for the management for years.

flaphandlemover
6th Feb 2010, 11:03
"This is no longer the case and we have nothing in our contract to support us."

The contract is not worth the paper that it's written on.... So it wouldn't matter what stands in the contract.

ED said it in the briefing: " we can do whatever we want with you and we will do what ever we want with you ".:D:D:D:D:D:D Loong live the management (can't wait till Ed is gone to play golf in IRSville)

Good luck to all you new joiners.

Don't forget to say thank you when they start to f.... you and at least use some lube....

40&80
6th Feb 2010, 13:40
The next move usually is to give a 24 hour period of leave after completion of minimum rest down route...after all everyone desires a holiday in OZ or NZ do they not? Also less stress if away from the wife and chores of the home.

White Knight
6th Feb 2010, 15:26
Leave comes in min 4 day blocks - assigned or not... Unless you take emergency leave but that's for emergencies obviously!!

Maybe you should try going into the LASS and looking at the green bits - not always many I know but good long chunks of leave come up from time to time.

ruserious
6th Feb 2010, 16:41
Well UAE law does have something to say about this:

Article 75
A worker shall, for each year of service, be entitled to an annual leave of not less than:
(a) Two days a month, where the worker’s period of service is more than six months but less than one year.
(b) 30 days a year, where the worker’s period of service is more than one year. Where a worker's service is terminated, he shall be entitled to annual leave in respect of fractions of the last year.
Article 76
The employer may fix the date of commencement of annual leave and, if necessary, divide such leave into not more than two periods.
:= :=

atpcliff
6th Feb 2010, 17:59
Hi!

Everything is relative.

Workers in Sweden have a much better leave policy than EK.

On the other hand, at my current job, I have 0 days of leave per year.

cliff
NBO

White Sausage
7th Feb 2010, 04:33
So that means we should be happy with our ever eroding T&C´s? Just because somewhere in the world it is even worse? I don´t get your logic :ugh:
And BTW: If you take on a job without annual leave, that tells me something...even in Kenya this is illegal.
Just for the record: I got more than 30 days this year and cannot complain (at least not about the leave allocation...the rest of EK, well that´s a complete different story :mad:), but I hate to see my colleagues being shafted again and again. The whole EK system sucks since about 2 years and it is getting worse by the minute (or shall I say by the weekly propaganda mails?).
Again, as soooo many posters before me have told you: Dont come here unless you are really desperate and wanna give up your civil and human rights!!! You will not like it!!

nolimitholdem
7th Feb 2010, 07:23
For some time about the BEST thing that could be said about EK is that there are worse companies out there. Perhaps they should use that as a recruiting slogan:

"Come work at Emirates, we suck slightly less than a lot of companies!".

Sort of catchy. I'm sure one of the British PR firms could make a logo, and a nice little musical jingle to accompany.

However factor in living in Dubai and the bar lowers, as the list of places worse to live than the ME is shorter than crap companies.

"Leave warning?" Oh I'm leaving all right, but I doubt with any warning! lol

atpcliff
12th Feb 2010, 11:35
Hi!

There are thousands of flying organizations in the US that start you with 0 days of leave. My last US airline started us with 0 for the first year. Year 2 we got 10 days of leave, which increased to 15 days after five years. I think it maxed out at about 35 days of leave per year.

There are millions of people working in the US, in various jobs, with 0 days of leave.

There ARE worse places to work than EK, and there are better. Some posters on pprune make it sound like EK is the worst...it is not.

I am thankful I have a flying job, but I realize that EK would be a lot better. I am also applying to some jobs that would be better than EK for me. Hopefully I will find a better job in the next year.

cliff
NBO

Instant Hooligan
12th Feb 2010, 14:23
Cliff,
So just because there are worse places makes it ok to drag all down to that level. Get a grip man, what's wrong with trying to improve worker conditions for once.

Lamyna Flo
12th Feb 2010, 15:09
Instant Hooligan, some people just won't be told. The same people who, despite innumerable warnings from current EK/QR employees about conditions there (within the organisations and culturally), come on here a few months after their join date whining like little girls (and I'm not referring to the fellows who joined EK/QR/GF before things started to go rapidly downhill).

One may think it's tough/frustrating here in sub-Saharan Africa but, believe me, it's 100 times better in many respects than it is in DXB. At least here I can drive around with a tinted windscreen without being arrested. Be involved in a traffic accident without automatically being in the wrong/jailed. Not be thrown in debtor's jail. I could go on. I'm sure I don't need to.

airbus757
12th Feb 2010, 18:33
insta hooli. You are grasping at straws if you think improving conditions should be our goal. First let work on keeping them the same for more than a month.:ok:

Instant Hooligan
13th Feb 2010, 02:31
bus I agree, I'm very realistic about our situation here, just sick and tired of people justifying worsening conditions by saying other people have it worse so suck it up.

Banzai Eagle
15th Feb 2010, 15:10
One of my mates is a Cathy 747-400 TRE, been there donks. He gets the leave he wants every 3 years roughly. If he's in the bad group he might get a week in the summer if he's lucky.
Down side to working for an empire