PDA

View Full Version : Ek bend us over even more

safari005
5th Feb 2010, 05:08
Got to love this latest pearl from the talking horse.I imagine he even thinks we believe his crap. so much for loading the suitcase up on those trips to the real world.

Crew Baggage Weight Limits
Recently, various nation’s worker protection agencies have become more concerned about increasing on-the-job injuries being incurred by baggage handling personnel at airports due to un-labeled heavy baggage. This is particularly the case in Western nations with strict legal codes and stiff penalties surrounding these Health and Safety matters. As you may suspect, the maximum weights allowed under all the various codes differs widely.

To ensure we meet the majority of the world-wide codes and to avoid having to add personnel on the Departure floors at EGHQ to weigh crew bags and attach “Heavy Bag” tags both Flight Ops and Inflight Service have implemented a maximum crew baggage weight of 22Kgs.

Beginning March 1, all crew baggage will need to be less than 22kgs or it cannot be carried on board the aircraft. Additional information on the requirements and processes of managing this policy will be forthcoming shortly to both cabin crew and pilots.

xkred27
5th Feb 2010, 07:45
Not Surprised, In Oz i think 30 kgs will not be loaded. I can understand this rule. It would be a disaster if crew bags were not loaded due to weight. ( Brisbane )
Realistically, how often are you above 22kgs.

GoreTex
5th Feb 2010, 07:59
so why cant the bag weigh 30kg just like a pax bag?
I wonder if it could be about saving fuel, well I think this rule wont work if I cruise high speed at level 330, bummer.

Trader
5th Feb 2010, 08:04
It should be the same as a pax bag--32kgs. 9 day trip to OZ or winter trip and your bag can easily top 22kgs.

Payscale
5th Feb 2010, 08:07
Why not just put a HEAVY sticker on all crew bags?
..does that mean I cant bring my FCOMs anymore...:*

EK Snorkel
5th Feb 2010, 09:16
both Flight Ops and Inflight Service have implemented a maximum crew baggage weight of 22Kgs.

Read: Inflight Services has told Ed and Flight Ops once more what to do:ugh:

sexdriven
5th Feb 2010, 09:17
Cap on DEWA - to save the enviroment

Overtime rule change- because of ULR

Baggage rule- because of handlers

The thing that pissses me off is the pathetic reasons that ED gives for all the changes. I know that these instructions come from above and ED has to sell it. Why does he not just come out with the truth instead of insulting our intelligence with these pathetic excuses.

5star
5th Feb 2010, 09:54
Its a weekly joy to read the cr@p these monkeys are producing!!!
Do these office muppets really have no life... :rolleyes:

Another great step to crank up the morale or to stop the exodus...:ugh:

jack schidt
5th Feb 2010, 14:59
Well its straight forward to me. Just make your bag weight over 22kgs on all the sh1t flights and don't go flying because of some screw ass rule. Man, these donkeys really are getting to be a pain in the arse!

Incase they spend the next year in their self important offices thinking up more crap ideas...let me tell you, there is no more but the dirt up my nose and the crap up my arse you can steal from us before or after a flight so back off!

FFS

acegreaser
5th Feb 2010, 15:20
I hope it was a typo by his secretary, when he actually meant 32kgs, as per the IATA ruling. 22kgs is a very odd number to use....if it was 20kgs or 30kgs, then maybe.

I am hoping for a correction soon.....:ugh:

BigGeordie
5th Feb 2010, 16:11
32 Kgs would make sense- that is a common limit in the Real World. I can't imagine where 22 Kg would come from. But then I can't imagine where a log of the rubbish this company puts out comes from.:ugh:

Buscat
5th Feb 2010, 16:45
32kgs would be nice but in your hearts you just know it's not a typo. Someone's worked out a way to save tens of 1000s of dirhams over the years which, more importantly, leads to a BONUS for HIM.

Because Ed is so, so amazingly, blindingly clever, he's pulled "22kgs" out of his @rse to make it sound like a scientifically-determined value and thinks we won't notice.

As always the crew get screwed. One of the last remaining pleasures here is (was) loading your bag up with whatever it is you like to buy on a layover and carting it home. I've seen way more than 22kg on occasion. Now the capt or FO of the aircraft will have some pumped-up ground-staff prick (like the ones in Australia) telling them they cannot load their bags.

When push comes to shove, the bag will be loaded (simply to avoid a delay) and after you've gone, the ground staff will report you behind your back and you'll enjoy a rug-dance with the C***S in the office. It'll end with, if not a sacking, a warning letter (that you know of) and a few more footnotes in your file (that you don't know about).

And of course it's all to save the loaders' backs..???? Ed couldn't lie straight in bed. God he talks utter garbage.

What a bunch of miserable, vile, loathable sh!ts we have "managing" us.

I might know how to get around this. Let me test it out and get back to you...

vbrules
5th Feb 2010, 17:41
Think outside the box.
Get a wheely bag a la cabin crew and put 20 kg in that; they won't weigh it.
Stupid games; we will win

Volverine
5th Feb 2010, 18:50
"Recently, various nation’s worker protection agencies have become more concerned about increasing on-the-job injuries..." :ok:
Who cares about Pilots working conditions ? :rolleyes:

BusyB
5th Feb 2010, 19:17
Due H & S CX and BA have had individual bag weights of 23kg for all for some time:ok:

InnocentBystander
5th Feb 2010, 20:20
Just another cost cutting measure poorly disguised as "bla bla bla".

For how stupid do these guys take us?

Then again for (maybe) cutting 100kg from a flight they are creating a LOT of bad blood, especially with the Cabin Crew. I'm sure this will make the SkyTrax ratings soar. Not.

411A
6th Feb 2010, 09:36
Due H & S CX and BA have had individual bag weights of 23kg for all for some time

Of course they have, and several other airlines, as well, I expect.
It would appear that those at EK are just cronic complainers...nothing especially new.
Anyone who needs a crew bag weighing more than 22 (or 23) KG must be packing it with rocks...or, stacks of electrical appliances to keep their curly locks in place.

If it were up to me, I would have the limit at 18KG.:E

theidler
6th Feb 2010, 10:16
Due H & S CX and BA have had individual bag weights of 23kg for all for some time
Due H & S?:rolleyes:

Makes no sense when the passengers take up to 32kg per case. Guess that CX and BA just stole the march on EK with this cost-cutter. Maybe Al & Ed should have 10% deducted for being slow off the mark this time.

It would appear that those at EK are just cronic complainers...nothing especially new.

Yep, 2400 EK flight crew. Every one of them recruited for their cronic (sic) complaining credentials.

halas
6th Feb 2010, 12:34
Not all electrical items 411A, just nice to bring home items like wine, meat and other stuff you and your family would like from home or elsewhere, as we live in the pit and you don't.

It's a perk, l agree, however it costs the company nothing for us to do so.

The bags weigh in at 5 kg for a start, and after minimum loading with the basics for a layover, even for just 24hrs, there isn't much left for the nice to bring home stuff with a limit like this one.

And if it's liquids you are bringing back, like wine (and there's 5 kg's for five bottles), then it has to go in the checked-in bag. Unless you can get a better deal at the duty free, which is not always the case at 90% of the ports we service.

halas

White Knight
6th Feb 2010, 13:17
Halas - indeed you've hit the nail on the head.. Perk!!! And the office wallahs don't like the fact that we can pick up cheap meat in SA or wine in Germany..
Maybe I'll just wear the same uniform shirt on a 4 sector trip like MEL/AKL - that'll be ripe:E:E

411A
6th Feb 2010, 13:42
Maybe I'll just wear the same uniform shirt on a 4 sector trip like MEL/AKL - that'll be ripe

You mean to say that EK does not provide for uniform laundry at hotac provided?:}
Even my small carrier does so.

White Knight
6th Feb 2010, 15:22
That 411a is the difference between a small carrier (personable) and a huge corporation (run by beancounters)......

Pitch Up Authority
6th Feb 2010, 16:52
White Knight

Within the borders of a purely commercial activity and being a national pride, Emirates Airlines is a community of people that work together and depend on each other.

The agenda of the staff is different than that of EK management, it is nice to work for a company that generates a profit as far as job security is concerned but this is not a hurdle that will prevent people from leaving if they feel serious damage in their personal life. So the decision to leave or join EK is not limited to decisions made by its staff members only.

It is not a 8 AM to 4 PM job. If you are entitled to 12 days off each month then that implies that you are away for 18+ days with your colegues.

If you reduce everything down to money then you are not better than the greedy that brought down the financial system. Money is part of the social tissue so the damage inflicted stretches further than some numbers on a spreadsheet.

If a manager of an airline behaves in the same way as the yuppies on Wall Street he will to a certain extend cause serious damage to the airline itself.

Having said so, this has basically nothing to do with OPS management but with HR management. OPS management is only related with providing the crew with the nessesary tools to perform their task safely, efficient and as ecconomically as possible.

Hiring the right people is the task of HR and the training department.

Involving OPS managers, in what are purely HR issues is contamination of the OPS department. Selecting and charging OPS managers with this goal is asking for trouble.

It is obvious that there is a fight going on within EK that will affect the growth, potential and internal stability of the airline.

It occurs to me that the owner (s) of the airline are not aware of this; not because they do not know but because they are unable to see it.

Counting on the international press to expose your discontent is impossible, there is far too much money and high level politics involved.

If the citizens of the UK can be manipulated by their politicians into supporting an unjustified war in Irak then EK politics most certainly has the capability of window-dressing what is going on.

EK is the proud of Dubai and they will defend it at all cost and when needed with the help of some opputunistic expats. Most of these oppurtunits fled the UK, a country in tatters from what I sometimes read here on PPRUNE. The reputation of the Brits cannot and be ignored.

You do not get a top job in EK without the approval of Sheigh Ahmed Bin Saeed Al Makthoum President of EK, boss of the Dubai CAA and Head of the Secret Police.

Let there be no misunderstanding, his brain is as sharp as a razerblade.

But if the Middle East in general wants to be succesful as a global player they will have to address certain issues. A good dictatorship can be more efficiënt than a bad democracy but in a multicultural society as Dubai the Ruler must look beyond the interest of the locals only.

I think they realize this but that they loose the momentum to be effective. No change is not a viable option, there is too much pressure from within and outside and they know and/or feel it. Getting rid of some British is a first step to recovery.

On a personal note Mr White Night and for the record Mr Fubaar, let me remind you on your outrageous attacks on Streamline, a man who had done nothing wrong and has paid a price many times higher than what is happening today. You can be proud of yourself. At least Streamline kept his integrity throughout.

puff m'call
6th Feb 2010, 17:05
When is that tw@t Ed leaving?

Pitch Up Authority
6th Feb 2010, 17:23
When is that tw@t Ed leaving?

You mean being replaced by more of the same ....... not in the nearest future.

H1N1
6th Feb 2010, 18:55
Ed tw@t leaves on the First of March. They already have another tw@t to take his place.

montencee
6th Feb 2010, 18:58
Take it that's you Carl. Come back to haunt us again. Must be over 10 years since you 'left' us by now.

Cap56, Streamline, EADS by AIDS or something and now Pitch Up Authority. Several other Carl handles too that I don't recall just now, care to remind us?

Pitch Up Authority
6th Feb 2010, 19:03
Come back to haunt us again.

haunt us again ? I like your choice of words, very revealing although you probably do not realize it yourself.

Do the "us" have something to hide?

From your posts it looks like the aggressor has become a victim himself and in your case it gives me some pleasure to see you surrounded by an army of White Knights on a chessboard without rules.

Let me give you some advice: when you are sure about something the only thing you are sure about is that you are sure even if you are convinced you are 100% right. Believe me Mr White Knight you know nothing.

Patience is the master of the mind.

helen-damnation
6th Feb 2010, 19:51

I think you'll find that is the economy pax limit, before the company charges extra. Obviously more for B/F.

In the UK, I believe the individual limit is 32 kg, based on Health & Safety limits.

H-D

EKBemused
6th Feb 2010, 21:33
Gentlemen,
The fact is that no one piece of baggage can be over 50 pounds.
22Kg is just under that and BA's 23KG's 50.6 pounds. You can be allowed 30 40 or 50 KG's as a pax, but one bag can not weigh over 50 pounds.
I thought most of us here have some knowledge of international aviation rules but it seems Emirates has been hiring retards.
I know the management here sucks, but bitch about the right things.
We need to grow up here :)
Excuse me for being blunt.

parabellum
7th Feb 2010, 00:02
Why don't you just check in two crew bags?

White Knight
7th Feb 2010, 01:33
PUA - I have absolutely no idea what you are on about:hmm::hmm: And your copy and paste thread from another topic has 'nowt to do with baggage weights!!!!

EKbemusd - 32kgs is the max single baggage weight which is somewhat over 50lbs.. Over 23kgs they put a HEAVY tag on it... What was that about retards:}

csd
7th Feb 2010, 01:51
EKBemused

An extract from the IATA website:

In order to avoid trouble at the airport terminal, make sure that your suitcase doesn't weigh more than 32 kilos (70lbs), or you will be asked to repack and transfer some of your belongings into another bag.

Please note that the maximum weight limit relates only to single items and does not affect the baggage allowance or excess baggage charges, which is set by individual airlines.

Check a Bag (http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/passenger/passenger_baggage/check_bag.htm)

Regards

csd

pissedoffpilotek
7th Feb 2010, 03:39
This is probably nothing to do with ED..The idea is too original for him.

He recently did the interviews for FM-A and remember a certain FDM E was there. She has history of doing 'nice' things for the pilot group.

It was probably her bright idea at the interview....got her the job???:ugh:

captainsmiffy
7th Feb 2010, 08:43
...haven't bothered to check but a mate tells me that the bag chassis alone (empty) weighs 5kg! i.e. almost 25% of the new baggage allowance! Now do a BNE/AKL based on that....no room for the magic box!

harry the cod
7th Feb 2010, 17:05
I have a vision of a Mr Bean moment.

Captain checking in for the trip, stumbling through the e-gate with two suitcases ('i'll show that t**t Ed'), navbag, spinneys carrier bag of laundry because the drop off was closed, glasses falling off and hat askew as the doors keep opening and closing and the synthesized voice saying 'try again'.

Meanwhile, in the DJ's stand, Fat Fatma from immigration continues to turn a blind eye, sharpeneing her multi tasking skills by texting and varnishing her nails a putrid purple to match the goth look of her lipstick.

And the day has only just started.

Welcome to Emirates............................and you are welcome to it!

Harry

troff
10th Feb 2010, 03:04
Colleagues –
In last week’s Weekly Update I indicated we were discussing a baggage weight limit to be applied to flight and cabin crew so as to limit our liability from various countries occupational health and safety regulation that holds an airline responsible for injuries received by individual baggage handling employees as a result of un-indentified heavy baggage.

I was gratified by the number and content of the responses – many with good suggestions. As a result, beginning March 1, we have decided on the below process that will be applied to Flight Crew bags handled in the EGHQ ops floor as well as at out-stations. An FCI modifying the current OM-A will be issued shortly:

EGHQ Ops Floors

· After receiving their baggage tag from the check-in kiosk, flight crew will proceed to the bag drop location

· At the bag-drop location, flight crew will find a scale available to weigh their bag before placing it onto the bag entry belt

· Additionally, there will be a supply of “HEAVY BAG” tags in a holder near the bag chute

· Should the bag weight exceed 22kgs, a “HEAVY BAG” tag must be affixed to the bag prior to dropping it onto the bag belt

· Bags noted by the baggage handling system’s weighing function to be above 22kgs and without a tag will be removed from the belt and returned to the EGHQ departure level. In that case it is possible the bag may not be delivered back to the aircraft in time for departure.

· Bags weighing above 32kgs cannot be transported on the aircraft even if tagged.

Out Stations

· Pilots should carry a supply of “HEAVY BAG” tags with them to apply to their baggage in case they suspect their bag may exceed the 22kg tag requirement limit.

· Not all out-stations weigh crew baggage. If the bag required a tag outbound from Dubai it is reasonable to assume it requires one inbound. Pilots need to monitor and self-enforce the quantity and weight of items they bring back from trips abroad so as not to exceed these weight limits.

· Bags over 32kgs risk not being transported.

Flight Ops will conduct random audits of flight crew baggage weights at regular intervals to ensure that compliance with this policy is being met.

Obviously, this is a superior result compared to the original 22kg absolute limit that was originally proposed and its continuation depends on the support and assistance of our pilot group. Thanks for the input and your support of this initiative.

Regards,

Ed

BigGeordie
10th Feb 2010, 03:16
Looks like another badly thought out and badly applied idea they have had to back track on. Couldn't they have thought of using "heavy" tags in the first place? It has worked on passenger bags for years.

troff
10th Feb 2010, 03:58
Total backtrack!
Could have been handled better. Just ask crews to affix heavy tags and no feathers ruffled.
Now we should feel lucky for being given the privilidge to check 22+kg bags.
T

alwayzinit
11th Feb 2010, 16:55
Slightly feel that we being fed a "Kipper" about how great this result is for us all when the man Hos is the bloke who came up with this pottiness.

Having got a stack of emails from slightly miffed drivers did he go and debate this silliness with himself?

It's all then presented as he is doing us a big favour to allow us to carry what we were carrying before, but this time with a tag?

Is it me or :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:?

ManaAdaSystem
11th Feb 2010, 22:25
Put a heavy tag on your bag and leave it on. Problem solved.

You must all be Aussies.

Instant Hooligan
12th Feb 2010, 03:20
We should just put a heavy tag on full stop. In fact lets have a competition to see how many we can accumulate from around the world. Doubles don't count only new ones from each station. That should keep them happy.

Jolly Foreigner
12th Feb 2010, 04:21
Don't worry about the labels coming off or being forgotten, just nip down to Ace and get some acrylic paint and emblazon the side of your case with "HEAVY" - sorted!

:ok:

Leito
12th Feb 2010, 07:40
Where do we get this famous TAGS ?, great idea btw !! :ok: