PDA

View Full Version : Any F.A.A. CFIs in New Zealand???

chaba
5th Feb 2010, 00:16
Hey,
Red tape never ceases. I hold an ATP from the States, and I want to convert it down here in NZ..... (straight forward enough via ASL and CAA), BUT...my U.S. FAA license has to be "current" for them to even assess it, and my last Biannual Flight Review was more than 24 months ago. Without having to go all the way back to the States to do a friggin' BFR, does anyone know of anyone in NZ who is holds a CFI from the States who could then give me a BFR here in NZ???
Apparently, I can't just do a NZ CAA BFI...it must be recognized by the FAA...I think..... Again, all aspects of my license has to be current...btw, my medical is good.
Ideas? Suggestions? Best person to contact about this?? If they assess that my license is not "current" then I must sit all 7 theory exams and all that grief. i have nearly 6,000 hours and have flown B727s and command on ATRs. :ugh:
Thanks.
Grief McGrief

privateer01
5th Feb 2010, 21:29
I'm in Brisbane.....if that helps........

Hell I'm not sure if you can do a BFR in say a VH registered aircraft.

Am wondering if you'd have to be a CFI in the country your doing it in.

c100driver
6th Feb 2010, 02:46
You could ask Mike Foster at Eagle flight training, he has held most US ratings at some stage.

conflict alert
8th Feb 2010, 06:26
Dennis Thompsons son was FAA qualified, try ringing them in Ardmore

Grogmonster
8th Feb 2010, 10:07
Chaba,

I am confused. If you hold a USA ATP why do you need to do a BFR? If you refer to the FAR's you cannot hold an FAA ATP unless you have the pre requisets and hold a multi engine land with instrument rating and 1500 hours etc. So all you need is a current USA medical and a 61.56 check ride and that is the end of the story for ATP. My FAA air law is not up to speed but if you have not completed a 61.56 chk can you do a BFR and act as a Private? As far as conversion to another ICAO state licence you will have to refer to the appropriate requirements. If for example you already hold an Aussie CPL you would only have to present the FAA licence and pass Australian Air law to get your Aussie ATPL.

Groggy

privateer01
8th Feb 2010, 10:50
Holding an ATP does not negate the need for a Biannual Flight Review.

FAR 61.56 is the BFR

(c) Except as provided in paragraphs (d), (e), and (g) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of an aircraft unless, since the beginning of the 24th calendar month before the month in which that pilot acts as pilot in command, that person has—

Private, Commercial, and ATP all require it.

Most working Pilots accomplish it under 121 or 135 recurrent testing.

Adding a rating or type also counts as a BFR.

(d) A person who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of this section, passed a pilot proficiency check conducted by an examiner, an approved pilot check airman, or a U.S. Armed Force, for a pilot certificate, rating, or operating privilege need not accomplish the flight review required by this section.

(e) A person who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of this section, satisfactorily accomplished one or more phases of an FAA-sponsored pilot proficiency award program need not accomplish the flight review required by this section.

(f) A person who holds a flight instructor certificate and who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of this section, satisfactorily completed a renewal of a flight instructor certificate under the provisions in §61.197 need not accomplish the one hour of ground training specified in paragraph (a) of this section.

I'm guessing the Kiwi's want him to be current.

As for the Aussie CPL / FAA ATP.......you'd still have to pass the ATP Air Law, the IREX, and a command instrument checkride.

chaba
10th Feb 2010, 23:19
How about any US pilot with a CFI on a layover or some such thing? Know anyone?

apache
11th Feb 2010, 00:17
surely, if you are prepared to go to Oz to do you biennial flight revue, it would be ALMOST as cheap to go to say Honolulu, or Pago Pago?

I know that there are some great deals out there at the moment.

and if you DO go, then why not make it a holiday as well?

chaba
15th Feb 2010, 01:16
You are right........by the time I get a tik to OZ, a rent-a-car, a hotel and hire a plane, I may as well drop the coin (that I don't have) to head back to CA. But that is not financially viable ..... especially just for a BFR.

If y'all want a good laugh, I actually quit my last job earlier than i wanted to coincide with the month my PC was due in an effort to help them keep costs down.....small company that treated me well.
So much for Kharma...had i just stayed another month, I would've gotten that PC and not be in this mess.

going forward.....anyone know anyone with a CFI headed to NZ? even on holiday or layover??